🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Suspicious OneDrive link for immediate interv...
Page options
712c763d
Community Member

Suspicious OneDrive link for immediate interview

Hello Upwork Community,

I'm new to Upwork and am feeling suspicious about my first interview invite received same day as proposal submittal. The potential client has provided a One Drive link to "get interviewed immediatley". As I've read. first contact is strictly through Upwork so this says 'red flag' to me.

Also, this company doesn't have a verified payment.

Thank you for any guidance!

Deborah

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Deborah:
Real clients do not interview using OneDrive links. That is something that scammers do.

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a freelancer to communicate with a prospective client OUTSIDE of the Upwork Messages tool.

Before an official Upwork client is in place, all communication must be on the Upwork platform.

If you thnk that there is a possibility that this client is a legitimate client, then give them a chance to do the right thing. Tell the client:

"Frank,

Thank you for your interest in hiring me to work on your project. Upwork requires that communication be done with the Upwork Messages tool until an official contract is in place. I will be happy to use the One Drive link if you will go and click the 'Hire' button now. Then I can accept the contract, and we can communicate using the One Drive link or any other method that you prefer. Until then, please feel free to ask me any interview questions you have right here in the Messages tool. We can even use Upwork's built-in Zoom if you want to."

THEN:

If the client interviews you ON UPWORK (not elsewhere) and hires you, you will get paid. That's great. But if the client doesn't interview you on Upwork and still wants you to use outside methods, or if the client simply disappears... Then you know the client is a scammer. If that happens, go to the job posting page and use the "Flag as inappropriate" to report the the scammer "client."

712c763d
Community Member

Preston,

Thank you very much for your clear and concise response!

Actually, I don't have a good feeling about this potential client. Would you suggest that I block the client or is it just as safe to not respond?

I may try your "Dear Frank" suggestion first just so I don't rule out a legitimate job and if that is a problem I will flag as inappropriate. But when a freelancer flags as inappropriate is it anonymous so there's no retribution from the client?

Thank you for your advice.

re: "But when a freelancer flags as inappropriate is it anonymous so there's no retribution from the client?"

It is completely anonymous.

And these scammers invite large numbers of people. There is no way they can know who you are, or do anything to you.

Thanks again Prestion!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Deborah, 

I'm glad that you reached out here to double-check this client. Preston is correct - freelancers and clients are not allowed to communicate off Upwork until a contract has been created, and it is showing on your "My Jobs" page. If you haven't already, please this client's job post by following the steps in this article.

I recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork. 

It would also be best to visit these articles for more information on how you can keep in line with Upwork's Terms of Service when engaging on the website:

~ Avery
Upwork
712c763d
Community Member

Thank you Avery. In addition to 'flagging' this client's post do you suggest I also 'block' the client? I read in another query that by clicking on their name you can 'block' them from contacting you?

Best,

Deborah

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for following up. Yes, in case the client is not willing to interview and hire you via Upwork, you may flag them as inappropriate and block them to avoid future communication.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

And remember:
If you applied to a job (sent in a proposal), and you were not invited from out of the blue... Then you spent connects.

If you use the "Flag as inappropriate" option to report a client, and then Upwork removes that client's fraudulent job post, then you automatically get your connects back.

So it pays to report a "client" who is violating Upwork ToS. It improves the platform AND you get connects back, which means you save money.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths