🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Taxes
Page options
b948fe57
Community Member

Taxes

Hi!

I'm Daniela, from Italy. I am a professional editor and proofreader. I have now started freelance work, in fact for now the accountant has not advised either VAT or a flat rate regime because for now I have not earned anything and as long as I don't exceed 4,800 euros a year I don't have to declare anything. I have now completed a project for $8 (7.20 for the upwork fee). How should I behave? Do you have to fill out the W8 form?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yup, they can - and they are actually required to, UNLESS the user completes documentation to confirm their tax status either as a US person or a non-US person. Once that's completed, Upwork may send the whole payment to the freelancer (net of Upwork fees, and if there are any other applicable taxes).

If it's a US person, once the freelancer fills out the W-9 info, taxes won't be withheld (just Upwork fees), and then the freelancer becomes responsible for reporting the income (and there may be Form 1099-K depending on amount).

If it's a non-US person, the above-linked help page explains everything.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

You have to fill out the form or else you will be responsible for US taxes.

Are you talking about w8 form?

Yes. Otherwise, Upwork is required by US law to withhold US taxes:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063938-Form-W-8BEN-or-W-8BEN-E

I didn't  know they could.

Yup, they can - and they are actually required to, UNLESS the user completes documentation to confirm their tax status either as a US person or a non-US person. Once that's completed, Upwork may send the whole payment to the freelancer (net of Upwork fees, and if there are any other applicable taxes).

If it's a US person, once the freelancer fills out the W-9 info, taxes won't be withheld (just Upwork fees), and then the freelancer becomes responsible for reporting the income (and there may be Form 1099-K depending on amount).

If it's a non-US person, the above-linked help page explains everything.

3d3302dd
Community Member

Hi Daniela,I'm Nico I'm Italian too ..I'm writing in English because if I remember it's not allowed to write in a foreign language....

You said we don't have to declare anything in Italy if we are under 4800 euro,I also knew that but what about the withdrawals we do on the platform?Do you know if we have to declare those ones? Actually I think to be relax as long as our incomes are lower than 4800 but I wanted to hear a second thought.

Thank you in advance for your reply 

bf1b1856
Community Member

Hi can anyone help me I completed all my tax information, all the boxes are checked with the green mark "completed" but I still get the error that I didn't complete my tax info and I can't withdraw.

Hi Raluca,

Thank you for reaching out. I checked this for you and found no error on your account. Could you please clear your browser cache and cookies, then log in again and check? If the issue persists, please respond with a screenshot of the error message. Thank you!

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie,

Thank you for your response, I cleared my browser cache and cookies, I logged in on another PC and also on my phone and I still get the error. I'll attach here a photo of what does the error look like.error.jpg

Hi Raluca,

Thank you for following up. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths