🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Tips for finding that first job
Page options
Andrea G Community Manager

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea

View solution in original post

1,767 REPLIES 1,767
Nsa E Community Member

Hello moderator, my questions goes thus; is it possible to land a job before my account gets verified?

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Nsa,

Yes! I've seen a lot of freelancers who have been requested to verify their identity after they got their first contract. This means that they were sending proposals prior to having the IDV badge and they do get jobs even without it.

~ AJ
Upwork
Anuar H Community Member

I am Anuar Hosen From Cox's Bazar Bangladesh. I am Data Entry Expert Freelancer of 8 Years Experiance. My Client Avilable Work this Acordin Short Time delivery. 

Vijay N Community Member

Hello, I am Vijay Negi from India I shortly I saw the upwork on Facebook or in a  film that it is the platform where we get projects or work or get money easily if we have good writing skills and knowledge of AI tools I have little bit of knowledge of the content or blog writing and python or a different tools used for in science I hope I get a job in the upcoming days.

Obed O Community Member

Hi am new in this platform am a paragon of excellency in Ms excel I can do any work in Ms excel,,,from data analysis to every kind of job provided,, plizzz 🥺🥺 show me a way of getting started

MD A Community Member

I have applied for 10 proposals but did not get any response from clients and two proposals were withdrawn by clients. That means 20 percent of jobs are canceled/withdrawn by clients. As a new in UpWork, how I can know which job is really wanted by the clients? This way I may save 20 percent time. Please give your suggestions.

Leela R Community Member

Hello!! How can I find the data entry job. I'm new to upwork. I don't know how to explore. Can you please help me?

Thanks,

Karthika

Ermias S Community Member

Hey their nice to meet you everybody.can you show me the moves for getting side income here.give me advice pls 

Mary Margaret G Community Member

Have you tried the suggestions by the Moderator from Upwork at the top of this thread?

Welcome by the way to freelancing.

Ahmed H Community Member

I'm new here and I've sent 50 above proposals and I've received only one message. How do I send a proposal and convince a client that I've got the potential to provide you a quality work? I'm just wasting my money in the form of connects 😞 and it is stressing me.

In your proposal show client how you will deliver quality work

Match your skills with project in short polite explanation manner.

Add new projects ‘You’ create similar to what client is looking for.

Find the specific needs and goals of the client.

Make sure your skills and expertise align with their requirements.

Ahmed H Community Member

Do experienced freelancers help new freelancers to get their first JOB? 

Olumide B Community Member

Hello Community,
I have not been able to land another upwork job. Kindly visit my upwork link and tell me what i need to get done.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01d4fd61af92f8a4ad

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Olumide,

Thanks for reaching out! I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Don’t hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

Good luck!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Maybe rewrite your introduction (summary)?

Upwork recommends to change things every now and then - a little to spice up our profiles.

Do you know any nearby business? That you could do something for them with a promise to promote them on your profile in the testimonial section?

This way their testimonial and what you create - becomes another example only this time they offer you feedback.

By the way I like the country where you live.  Have visited and feel it is good.

Martin N Community Member

What am i supposed to do to land my first job at Upwork?

The world of receiving a job (project) changes rapidly overnight.

It is advisable to go all the way back to basics.
(Upwork’s videos and training to show you how to create great cover letters and profiles.)
Since my current project of 5 months just ended, I plan on going over to Upwork’s video section to see if there are ‘New’ ones to see if I can acquire a nugget or two of new knowledge.
Best of all you receive a ‘Badge’ for completing a section of training that appeals to your clients on your profile a lot!!

Sanya J Community Member

How can I get my first work / job on upwork as I'm new to this.

The world of receiving a job (project) changes rapidly overnight.
So, even if you have either been working in a specific line of work or just starting as a freelancer…
(Upwork’s videos and training to show you how to create great cover letters and profiles.)
Since my current project of 5 months just ended, I plan on going over to Upwork’s video section to see if there are ‘New’ ones to see if I can acquire a nugget or two of new knowledge.
Best of all you receive a ‘Badge’ for completing a section of training that appeals to your clients on your profile a lot!!

Gift J Community Member

How do I get my first  job on unworkable please?

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Gift,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! The Upwork Community is where you can ask and answer questions, search for topics, learn, network with members, and get updates about Upwork.
Let’s get you started with the basics here at Upwork. Below are a few Upwork Academy courses to help you get started:
You can also sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.
The Community is also where members can share feedback on existing features and suggestions for new features. If you have ideas on how we can improve your experience on Upwork, the Community is a great place to share them!
We hope you find these online resources helpful in your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork
David S Community Member

Follow the DIRECTIONS in the oppenning post. They are very explicit! But don't anticipate clients banging at your virtual door in 10 minutes or even weeks.

Mesbahur R Community Member

Dear, thanks for welcoming for working upwork.

i am trying to work on upwork

mesbahur rahman

Number one: I am not a 'Dear' I have a name - Sir.

Number two: In order to work on Upwork no small letter 'i's' are accepted: Incorrect use of English writing/grammar

Number three: Offering advice from a Top Rated individual - me:

(Upwork’s videos and training to show you how to create great cover letters and profiles.) Click on them on the upper right hand side of this page.

I even recently checked Upwork’s video section to see if there are ‘New’ ones to see if I can acquire a nugget or two of new knowledge. - I did, and acquired a badge - clients like to see badges on the profiles. - Shows you are taking an interest in how to help yourself and them.

In your proposal show the client how you will deliver quality work

Match your skills with project in short polite explanation manner.

Add new projects ‘You’ create similar to what client is looking for.

Find the specific needs and goals of the client.

Make sure your skills and expertise align with their requirements.

Here on Upwork it is all about the 'client' not the freelancer.

Hope this assists you in finding work on Upwork.

Hasnain Z Community Member

Ok

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths