🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

740 REPLIES 740

Yes
71e37a7e
Community Member

I didn't get a job. I have submitted almost 90+ proposals but did not get a job. i lost almost all my connects.

Hi Srikant,

Please learn the learning path from academy Menu. Cheers!

d43e6452
Community Member

First of al thanks, hi I am Mamnurrashid a full time freelancer virtual assistant expertise Data Entry lead generation, project List Building Service. Long time I am staying in upwork and I submitted many job proposal and now my account is Rising Talant but I do not get any job or client. I am trying long time but at this moment I can not be success. I also submitted 3 interviews but as a no result. Now I am woorird. so now I need help to get a job or client. I hope upwork community will help me

Hi Mamnurrashid,

Thanks for reaching out! It can be daunting when you are just starting as a freelancer. Competition with other freelancers can be stiff, so learning how to stand out is vital to earning the opportunity of being noticed by clients. I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Don't hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.
~ Joanne
Upwork
27fb94db
Community Member

Hello here, my name is Omwiine Gabriel a Ugandan by nationality, i am currently new on upwork and i am not all that experienced however i have the skills to do some freelancing jobs on upwork, for the last past days i have been sending proposals without any reply from clients. Is there any help i can get here so that i can also start working and earn like others .

Thank you.

Hi Omwiine,

Unlock your potential by exploring the extensive Learning Path available in
the Academy menu.Cheers!

1a833ae3
Community Member

como iniciar a buscar trabajo?... soy nueva en esta plataforma

ameerh2030
Community Member

Please tell something about your previous experience.

6b2b9ad3
Community Member

Clue finding my first job

6fb15eba
Community Member

How i can my first order,and plz telme pymnt method?

15fcedf3
Community Member

Hello Maam Andrea,

I am applying Data Entry.

7ad051ac
Community Member

Hi, I'm finding Typist/Data Entry work from home job.

fd46a141
Community Member

I am new here please guide me about work

f64d96ba
Community Member

Hi ,Andrea , I am a newbie here , I just want to ask if how can I get a client or job here in Upwork? Can someone help me?

44f584ce
Community Member

Hi i am new Upwork user and i can't find my first job.

can you help me ?

7695893f
Community Member

you can help me to make the first step to work in upwork my skills ,make logo ,marekting in social media ,create content .

There is alot to say, read up on this post:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/To-all-freelancers-looking-for-help/m-p/1222498#M731347

Then these two:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Academy/ct-p/Academy

Once done with that, you could try changing your profile title to being specifcally about Tutoring Math. Its cool that you can use sign language and have worked with students with special needs - you can have that on your profile description. 
The easiest way to learn is to look at how others in your field have done it. Search for math teachers and look at which profiles make you click them and then try to figure out how to make yours the same.

af9f7694
Community Member

hello community

please le me know how can i get my first mission and what are the tips that i must developpe

you can call me Simo , from Marrakech Morocco

thank in advance

best regards

I suggest you start by reading the Rules of UpWork, and UpWork provides free profile training, and other training courses and videos on how to use their platform and system, so find those, watch them, and participate in them. Then, go research articles and videos on how to submit effective proposals, as well as how to create an effective (complete) profile on UpWork.

Also, @mods is this thread posted in the right section?

hanojademarrab
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I am new here in UPWORK, just want to have connections with same field of interest.  And wanted to ask for your help so I can find my first job in upwork.  If you have any extra freelance job, and don't have extra time for it, I can take it.  Thank you.

Hello NEWBIE,

Welcome to Upwork! It's great to see that you are looking to connect with others in your field of interest. Building connections is an important part of being successful as a freelancer, so it's good that you're starting early.

As for finding your first job, I would recommend that you start by creating a strong profile that showcases your skills and experience. Make sure to highlight your strengths and provide examples of your work. Also, take some time to browse through job listings that match your skills and apply to those that seem like a good fit.

In terms of finding extra freelance work, I would suggest that you keep an eye on the job feed and apply to opportunities that interest you. Additionally, you could consider reaching out to other freelancers in your field to see if they have any leads on projects that they are unable to take on.

Overall, building a successful freelance career takes time and effort, but with persistence and dedication, you can achieve your goals. Best of luck to you on your freelancing journey!

Thank for your positive response.  Your message will be my framework on this journey to FREELANCING.  Nice to hear from you, I hope that this will not be the last.  

I want to know how I can get my first work
211ddb98
Community Member

first job finding 

affadda7
Community Member

Hi all, How's it going, what do you think of this new product (Your network)?

2d7f089d
Community Member

how to get first order as rising talent badge

Hi Jatin,

Congratulations on earning your Rising Talent badge! I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Don’t hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

Good luck!

~ AJ
Upwork
9dfa6f7f
Community Member

Hello everyone

a7afb92f
Community Member

Hello Managers

I'm new here on the Upwork platform.

Hello everyone. My name is Nathalie Kanyange and I am from Burundi. I just created a new Shopify store that hasn't started well yet.

I would love to work with you on Upwork and continually specialize and improve myself on Upwork Company.

As I am new to your Platform, I would like to work well and interact better with other members, learn even more and win a Work Contract on Upwork.

I am so proud to join the group and thank you for granting me this great opportunity to win your contract.

Thus, I would like to receive some of your Advice and suggestions to further improve My Profile.

Next, I'm a great new Freelance beginner copywriter on Shopify and Marker Content.

I am interested in working with you to develop a project that meets I need and I am interested in getting your Contract Upwork.

I have a proven track record of creating my Website with Wordpress.com and Shopify.com that are functional and user-friendly.

Nathalie KANYANGE
19cfd6fa
Community Member

Hi Upwork 

Digital Marketer his here. Newbie for Upwork. How to successfully get a projects from upwork 

hanojademarrab
Community Member

I am just curious of the community around in Upwork.  Anyone who started from scratch?  I mean anyone here started without any experience on freelancing?  This is just to get some thoughts from the community, because I never had any freelance job previously, but I know that I am an experienced bookkeeper.  Can you tell me how you landed to your first job?  How did you convinced them?

db66a4cd
Community Member

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting clients to see me or my proposals. I signed up for Upwork several weeks ago and did all the things recommended in the articles on finding work. My profile is complete, I have projects up, etc. I've put tags on, written a good description, etc. I also have a good resume; I've been a UX designer for 13 years, have a ton of skills, and have an impressive list of clients.

So I'm trying to understand why, after submitting proposals to 14 positions that I am a good fit for, only two clients even looked at my proposal, and my profile has only had one view. I even tried submitting proposals to jobs that had fewer proposals submitted or that didn't pay very well, because I just need that first client. That didn't work, either.

At this point, I am wondering whether the work I've put into my Upwork profile and proposals is a fool's errand. How can any client hire me when they don't even see me in the stack of hundreds of proposals from other freelancers, most of whom have already done a project? Is the only way in by spending hundreds of dollars buying Connects (hope not, because you shouldn't have to pay to play.) Or knowing someone who will hire you on Upwork in a pre-arranged deal?

I'm beginning to wonder whether using Upwork is a fool's errand and I should just direct my attention elsewhere. It's a lot of writing proposals for zero payoff thus far.

I'm hoping that there is a way in that I just haven't realized. Please advise if you know a method or strategy I can use to actually be seen by these clients?

Thank you in advance for your help!

mulsimpleweb
Community Member

Hi, I'm new here and I recommend these topics to all other new members here. cheers!

Josh

Right..

0ace96d5
Community Member

exellent

094f7b9e
Community Member

I need support to get my first job

a0ab90aa
Community Member

Thanks Andrea, these tips was really helping in giving clearity of things to do to improve on the results that I get.

9b1b92bc
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths