🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
Andrea G Community Manager

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea

View solution in original post

1,767 REPLIES 1,767
Mary Margaret G Community Member

Welcome!

Obenko O Community Member

Hello. How can I get my first order? I'm trying to start with something simple, even though I have experience, but no one seems to respond. Can you help with some advice?😥

Read my post above.

Place some new creative work of your own on your profile.

Have friends, family business owners you know critic the work with 2-3 sentences.

Feedback in  the beginning is worth more than $$$

Lilian M Community Member

Hi. Am new here. How do I start looking for a task

Look in the skills board to see what 'tasks' match your job skills.

Follow the administrator of Upworks advice here:

Review the videos on Upwork Academy  Check these out first:

Umair K Community Member

Below are the steps I used to hunt for projects when I was starting on Upwork, and I will use these steps again to hunt for clients in the future:

1. 𝐁𝐢𝐝 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 5 p.𝐦. - 11 p.𝐦. CST Reason: There's usually less competition. I won most of my jobs between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. CST

2. 𝐁𝐢𝐝 𝐨𝐧 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐜𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐮𝐧𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐲𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐝𝐬 Reason: Most people don't bid on projects from clients with no project history or unverified payment method, so the competition decreases further. Also, as an established client, I always prefer top-rated freelancers. That's why I suggest avoiding bidding on clients with a history when you're a beginner because they are highly unlikely to hire you. New clients mostly don't notice badges. They just want to get their work done, and the profile picture and the proposal are the two most important things for them. There's also another advantage to bidding on new clients, which is mentioned at the end.

3. 𝐁𝐢𝐝 𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐣𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐬. These projects will help you build your reputation on the platform quickly, gain some positive reviews, and get some experience under your belt, allowing you to bid on medium-sized and large-sized projects.

4. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝟐𝟑𝟎 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐚𝐥 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐭. I use these characters to either: 1) Ask a question related to the project. 2) If I know the solution to the issue, I give a hint of the solution to the client, so they know I'm the right person for the job, along with the price and the time estimate, with a call to action to hire me now if they want me to fix the issue immediately. 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐞: This tip of mine was also endorsed by Upwork itself in one of their articles.

5. 𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫, 𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫:

a) Make sure you have all the project details, and you are 100% certain of what you need to do in the project. Don't accept the offer in excitement. Ensure you have all the details first.

b) Confirm that the client has verified their payment method by now. If not, ask them to do so. If they are a legitimate client, they will, and you can accept the offer. If not, they might make excuses. If they do the latter, reject the offer. You'll waste your Connects, but you'll save yourself from a scam.

c) It's important to heed the above steps for new clients because if the client turns out to be a scammer after you accept the offer, and even if you cancel the contract without working on it, the client can still give you private feedback (not public, though). And if they give poor private feedback, your profile will take a hit!

6. 𝐎𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐞𝐩𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫, 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫! If the client has asked you to do one thing, do two! The goal is to make the client's first experience with their initial freelancer as positive as possible! Because if they're pleased with your work and have more work in the future, they'll always return to you!

If you follow the steps above, there's a high chance you'll come across some long-term clients who will provide regular work, allowing you to avoid the constant bidding war. All you need are a few long-term clients to generate a stable income in your freelancing career. That's how I've thrived for the last 10 years.

Guide Credit: Faraz Ahmed

Zachariah E Community Member

Hello anyone please to look my profile and help me fix it if any errors to make me land my first job on Upwork 

MD Faysal Ahamed S Community Member

Tips for finding that first job

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Md Faysal Ahamed,

On Upwork, your profile is a critical tool to your success. It is a great way to demonstrate your skills and experience. Leveraging it to its full potential may help you differentiate yourself from other freelancers and improve the likelihood of getting hired. Here are some of the items successful freelancers incorporate into their profiles below:

• Build your profile: This is your chance to showcase your skills and experience to potential clients. Complete your profile, including your work history, education, and a description of your services.
  • Build a strong portfolio: Your portfolio may help impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. Add any projects you’ve completed in the past to help you showcase your skills.
  • Network with clients: Establish good relationships by delivering quality work on time and communicating effectively. This can help you secure repeat business and new opportunities in the future.
  • Bid on projects: When you find a project you're interested in, submit a proposal outlining why you're the best candidate for the job. Make sure to tailor your proposal to the specific project and client.
Still need to figure out where to begin on Upwork? These resources can point you in the right direction:

With these steps, you'll be on your way to success.
Good luck!
~ Joanne
Upwork
Sasindu H Community Member

Hello I'm sasindu web developer and designer. i am new to upwork. I always try to success my life with upwork so never give up

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01a1570b9999d460be

Soujal K Community Member

I am trying to find a member who do participate with me to work.

Bobby D Community Member

Awesome! Thanks for this tip!

Ejaz H Community Member

Hello Everone!

I am Ejaz, I am teaching MS Office from very basic to Advance as taking physical classes and very good response and I am enjoyingtoo. But I want to do all my experise through UPWORK, so what should me do for my first job here?

Sudhir K Community Member

First,  make you profile public,  second: include all the required details, skill set,  third:  add a video introduction and optionally if you can add some of the real reviews from your existing students on how your training helped them.

Yolanda D Community Member

Hello, my name is Yolanda and I am new here. I specialize in typing and excel, word, publisher etc.

I would love to hear what you think of my profile - https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~011da4d56fe368b57d?viewMode=1

Thank you very much in advance!

Welcome Yolanda!

When writing your cover letter keep it short and direct, ideally 100-200 words.

Tell the clinet how your experience matches their project (job) goals.

Francis H Community Member

Hello, I am Francis Halder, new at Upwork. Please advise me how I can get a job quickly to start and can support my family.

Kieu T Community Member

Hi Francis,

Maybe you can try to search for jobs with keywords that are related to your strengths and add some of your previous work in the Portfolio section.

Regards and good luck 😉

Francis H Community Member

Thank you for the advice.

Hi Francis, Welcome!

When writing your cover letter tell the clinet how your experience matches their project (job) goals.

Georgi G Community Member

Hello!
I would really appreciate a push like this. Feel welcomed to my profile to review it and if you like you could give your feedback. I'm new to UpWork, been working and studying and now i choose to freelance here as a graphic designer so trying hard to find work!
Thanks so much!

Check with Hugo on  Hugo in 'Welcome to Upwork section,' regarding Profile.

Make sure to select jobs that have key words that match your skills.

Clients only read 2 sentences on Profiles looking for how you can increase their $$

Google how to help clients! All the Best

Dean R Community Member

I have been on here for 3 months with plus subscription, 

I have applied for many job postings , but never successful.

I have plenty of experience and very strong portfolio but still no luck.

How can this change?

Dean

Check with Hugo on  Hugo in 'Welcome to Upwork section,' regarding Profile

Make sure to select jobs that have key words that match your skills.

Clients only read 2 sentences on Profiles looking for how you can increase their $$

Sorry, it is not really about us and our experiences. Google how to help clients!

Faith K Community Member

how do i get my first job kindly advice

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths