🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,774 REPLIES 1,774

Sure. Their name is at the top of this page. Underneath their name states 'Moderator' AndreaG

View the videos on the right hand side of this at the top as well.

They do not take as long as it seems. The videos are really, really short. Great knowledge. Good fortune to you!

af92559a
Community Member

How dose one earn connects 

You don't earn connects. Every month there is a small given allotment.

c2c1c6a1
Community Member

I am new in unworkable. However, I have experience CV maker, as long as translated from English to Arabic, l am writer publishers more than 5 book, I can also able to make a book according to the information provided. 

3459360d
Community Member

I am new translator of Bengali English language. I want a cover letter to receive my first work. I have no job record. Will they hire me?

4afd462e
Community Member

Hi everyone! I'm new to Upwork. I have been working as a teacher of English for more than 8 years. I'm currently diving into Spanish teaching, as I'm Argentinian, and I love my mother tongue and also being a teacher as a Second Language. How can I improve my profile to get more visibilty? Thanks!

Argentinian Spanish and English teacher you're looking for

Perhaps google for translators on Upwork? Look under 'translators' ?

See what their profiles resemble.

Create you own by getting some ideas.

Never copy others.

b3d97de1
Community Member

im searching  dtp operator

Hi Jayasree,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! The Upwork Community is where you can ask and answer questions, search for topics, learn, network with members, and get updates about Upwork.
Let’s get you started with the basics here at Upwork. Below are a few Upwork Academy courses to help you get started:
You can also sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.
The Community is also where members can share feedback on existing features and suggestions for new features. If you have ideas on how we can improve your experience on Upwork, the Community is a great place to share them!
We hope you find these online resources helpful in your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork
fb537f8c
Community Member

I am new to Upword, my first gig invite has asked me to contact him on whatsapp, he wants my  details name,sex,age, country, email occupation. he has not said i am hired on upwork. is this normal

No! Not normal - check with customer service might be a scam. Against TOS

89b50987
Community Member

Hello, upwork freelancers.

Would you like to advice me to get job on this platform?

I have applied in about 50 jobs but I can't get my job.

Why can't I get my job?

You are new to Upwork and your profile rate is way too high. Many Top Rated Plus freelancers are providing their services in the same niche at below $20/hr. 

You are in a very competitive niche. I suggest that you improve your profile statement. Instead of writing about how wonderful you are, be very focused on exactly what you can do for a client and the results you got for others. Focus on clients, not you.

Thank you for your response.

How can I make wonderful profile?

First view the videos on the right. Very informative data.
Next make a good Upwork profile showcasing your skills, experience, and what you can do for the client.
Use relevant keywords in your profile to increase visibility and attract potential clients.
Apply to job postings that support and show your expertise
Submit special proposals that demonstrate your qualifications and understanding of the clients job

f9a85f02
Community Member

Hey Everyone!

I am new in upwork . 

Welcome Anmol

How are you doing 

How is your work here going

I want to know how one can know the right job to apply for 

You're welcome Anmol

38ae8b7f
Community Member

I will love to know how to apply for a good job because the number of works I have applied has been removed due to community policy

18ac1e2b
Community Member

Hello!

I'm a creative writer and I have been on Upwork for a complete 5 months, but have not been able to land any job.

I have been trying to get my identity verified on upwork, but it keep rejecting my ID card, then a long the line my  profile went into private.

I tried all means to get it rectified,  yet no progress  .

I have written to Upwork Support, I have gone through profile setting and asked that my profile should be returned back to public, that I'm ready to keep my profile busy, but upwok has not done anything about it.

I have used all my connects without winning even a tiny job, and I have the skills and the zeal that is needed to get a job done, yet I have no opportunity to do that.

Please, can anyone tell me what the problems are,  is it from me or from Upwork?

Please, what can I do , to rectify all these issues and get settled down on this platform??

I'm getting frustrated already😠😟😫😩.

Please,I really need help 🙏🙏.

Am facing the same issue and I haven't gotten any solution yet..

I think it takes time to get a Job here, because most times what they will tell you is that,the work has been cancelled or declined due to upwork policy stuff

6a9c8048
Community Member

My name is Samuel, am new in Upwork. Pls I need to know how to detect the percentage rate of my Upwork profile. Pls how can I get to know if it's upto 80%?

Community Member

Hi I am new to this and I would appreciate some help on getting started. Please can you see if my profile is correct and accurate. Also where should I go to get my first job? Thanks in advance ☺️ 

Community Member

I don't know if I am in the right place for the work I am offering. Could you help me by checking my profile? And let me know what or where should I go to promote my profile and also I cannot fix my portfolio I doesn't let me upload. Is there a problem in your systems.

e089fa37
Community Member

Hello All - new to the site

I submitted 1 proposal 5 days ago and 2 proposals 2 days ago of which none have been viewed.  I submitted one that has been viewed but I haven't received any messages. 

Is it typical to assume that proposals that have not been viewed within 2 days are likely no longer in contention for the project?  Is there some kind of notification when a project has been filled or will my proposal stay open indefinately?

thank you for sharing your experience.

dkdk000
Community Member

Hi 

I am new to Upwork, please help me to get any Mendix Project to start my upwork journey. I am Mendix Intermediate Certified.

Hi Dinesh,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! This is where you can ask and answer questions, browse topics, socialize, learn, network with other members, and stay updated about Upwork's latest news.
As a community member, you can also share your feedback on existing features and suggest new ones. If you have any ideas to improve your experience on Upwork, don't hesitate to share them here!
To help you get started on Upwork, we recommend checking out the following Upwork Academy courses:
Additionally, we encourage you to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to enhance your success on Upwork.
We hope these resources will be valuable to you as you embark on your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork
e3381a3c
Community Member

Hi, 

I have been trying to get a gig as a Web Developer on upwork and I have applied to over 12 jobs on upwork but my proposal are not even being viewed. i don't understand why, if it was proposal quality i would atleast get views on my proposal but that is not the case. perhaps i should be more selective to the job posts i apply to if so how can i identify the relieable jobs.

a25d962f
Community Member

How do I land a job offer. I am new here

36d065bc
Community Member

Hey! I'm new to UpWork but super excited to be here and see where this platform takes me. 

I have a love for content creation and hoping to peruse this passion further. 

Any tips or tricks for getting my first collaboration are greatly appreciated:)

Helen,

Congrats on joining! Click the above Academy link for Upwork success tips.

FIRSTLY  WATCH THE CONTENT AND UNDERSTAND THE CONTENT AND GIVE THE REPLY AS PER GIVEN 

https://www.upwork.com/ab/flservices/workwith/ashutoshk55

What kind of spam is this?

Why shold I give you personal information?

This probably violates Upworks regulations in some way!

8ba31a47
Community Member

Do you think that upwork connects are too expensive for beginners?

Nope! Everyone should have to pay to play.

erson22
Community Member

Please how  do I secure my first  job at upwork all my proposals are being declined

Some should pleaseeee come to my aid as I need to work

Anderson 

508174a1
Community Member

What are the best practices that makes a winning proposal.

bedfd521
Community Member

Dear Sir,

Please help me get work at upwork. Also let me know if I need to change anything in my profile.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths