🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
Andrea G Community Manager

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea

View solution in original post

1,767 REPLIES 1,767
Elisa B Community Member

Even seasoned and successful freelancers receive very few invites today, so you shouldn't be surprised nobody has invited you.

That said, having a complete profile is not enough. In your description you talk only about yourself, while you should focus on how you can help clients to solve their problems or fulfil their needs instead. Take a look at the Academy section - there are useful resources to help you. 

Mary Margaret G Community Member

Take a look at my suggestions above. Maybe one of them might assist you.

Abdul B Community Member

I had using using upwork for around 5 months but, I didn't get a job so please share some tips an tricks to get a first client on upwork and also share some tips tricks of how to write catchy cover letter or proposal to get the job

How about writing a catchy header"?

Clients will only read the first (2) sentences. So, you need to be way more specific. and add an attention-grabbing headline. 

Focus more on your practical experience and achievements: For example, ‘With a solid foundation in computer studies and hands-on experience, I have become an expert in Microsoft Word.’

Write out your skills in more detail:

You only need to place 4 slides on Upwork as examples.

Mention to your future clients how you are capable of effectively communicating ideas, collaborate with team members, and provide clear instructions: {Be sure to provide and promise your client you will keep them updated every other day or as needed}

It is a good idea to show how you can handle time management. How will you complete their project? How many days? How many hours? Give a little detail.

Provide examples: Like; ‘I have consistently maintained a high level of professionalism in client interactions, adhering to deadlines, and delivering high-quality work.’

Remember working as a freelancer is ‘Not about you, but about satisfying the customer-client’s needs.’ 

Godwin K Community Member

What could be the reason why I just apply for jobs with connects and I don't get the jobs. I have posted several of my portfolio on my profile with the accurate information to excel but I have not getten an invitation all this while. I need answers please 

Stuart H Community Member

your profile is private, so dont expect any advise from folks here cuz we can't see anything 

My profile is visible now, go check it out! I need more than advice, I need a job!!

Prashant P Community Member

Well perhaps your skillset is not in demand.  If it has been 8 months and no job, you may need to think if you really want to be on the platform (spending time and money and getting frustrated).

My skill set is in demand, as a matter of fact it is highly sought after in the market. Except the jobs posted are not real jobs. So sad 😞 

Use different words in the 'job search' bar to discover 'good' jobs to apply too. Like SEO (yes, this is true)

Tanzeela A Community Member

Hi Godwin,

Welocme to the community 👋

There might be several reasons why you are not landing any jobs:

• Your profile visibility is set to private
  • You are not sending specifically customized job proposals for each job.
  • You are sending AI genersted proposals (add personality in your proposals to stand out!)
  • You have not updated your portfolio
  • Mistakes and typos in job proposal

Go through your profile and check for all the checkpoints mentioned above. You surely will get your answer.

Good luck with your job hunt.

Tanzeela A.

You need to 'tell' your future clients; What specifically you could do for them. Such as: How much revenue $$ could you increase their business by with your wonderful skills? List each skill with how 'the client' could use it.                                                    By the way I have visited your country. Wonderful and peaceful. -MaryG.

Thank you for these tips. I have written very good proposals that highlight my skills and profitability. Hopefully I get a gig soon. And when next you plan to come to my country, just holla 😄Would love to explore more areas with you lol

Ritesh M Community Member

Yes I'm ready 

Md Shiblu M Community Member

"can you send me your email, i will add you to Business? But first I will send you the details, content, plan of this project, which is essential before we start work. can you send me your email?" This is a message from a client. I offered him an interview to discuss the project, but he has sent me this message. Should I trust him and give my email? Another thing, isn't it a rule violation to share personal details on Upwork? Please answer. Thanks in advance. 

Never offer personal information such as email or phone. YES!!!                                                                                                          This is a huge violations of the terms you signed when becoming a Freelancer on Upwork.                                                      Do not do it.                                                                                                                                                                                                           The client may not be affected...but your account could get suspended if Upwork choses to do so.                                              Explain nicely to the client: I would like to assist in your project; but all communications must be done in Upwork.              messenger here; Kindly send me the details, content, plan of your project, which is essential before we start work. Thank you.

Samuel K Community Member

Any one willing to offer me transcribing job at a very cheap price but good work

Edward S Community Member

I am new here. Please how can I get jobs related to data entry. I really need to make earnings to make ends meet. Any assistance will highly be appreciated. Thank you.

Vuyokazi J Community Member

Hello Andrea,

I have just joined this community, i am based in South Africa. A data analyst, i have been working in clinical trials all my life and interested in some freelance work. I am just confused on how to get the first job. 

Please advise,

Vuyo 

Abhinav S Community Member

no clients message me ..even after a powerful prposals ..i am not getting what to do ..so that atlest client message me or chat with me for further discussion 

Elisa B Community Member

An example of your powerful proposals?

Ze Eduardo P Community Member

Judging by this post, your proposals could probably benefit from Grammarly or any other grammar check extension.

Gerald M Community Member

Am new here, am a full a stack web developer professionally with Django and am looking for fellow freelancers to connect, work and probably come up with something big, however on another hand am also looking for a job to advance my skills at this particular moment and if there is anyone who has been in Upwork for a long time I would like your guidance on how you got your job here thank you.

Varshika G Community Member

I joined Upwork about 2 months back and been applying to jobs that are a perfect fit for me. I write tailored pitches and add links to only relevant work from my portfolio too. What am I missing that I am unable to land a job in about 2 months? Is it worthless to even try now on Upwork when so many other freelancers have good reviews and ratings?
😞 

Just FYI, this is my portfolio.**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Varshika,

I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Don’t hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

Good luck!

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths