🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
373 REPLIES 373
c35dd084
Community Member

Based on  applied to finding your first job on Upwork. Here are some tips :

1. Optimize Your Profile: Just like you focused on updating your LinkedIn profile and resume, make sure your Upwork profile is complete, showcasing your skills and experience effectively.

2. Research Upwork's Job Market: Spend time understanding the types of jobs available on Upwork within your field. Look for opportunities that align with your expertise and interests.

3. Be Proactive: Don't wait for jobs to come to you; actively search for and apply to relevant job postings on Upwork. Customize your proposals to demonstrate how your skills match the client's needs.

4. Network on Upwork: Just as you expanded your LinkedIn network, connect with clients and freelancers on Upwork. Engage in discussions, ask questions, and participate in relevant groups to build your presence.

5. Showcase Your Portfolio: Since you mentioned having a portfolio of your previous work, make sure to upload samples to your Upwork profile. This will give potential clients a clear idea of your capabilities.

6. Persistence Pays Off: As you experienced with your job search in Canada, landing opportunities often requires persistence and dedication. Keep applying, refining your approach, and learning from each experience.

7. Stay Confident: Your determination and willingness to learn shine through in your story. Carry this confidence into your Upwork endeavors, knowing that your skills and efforts will pay off.

By leveraging these strategies on Upwork, you can increase your chances of finding your first job on the platform. Good luck, and congratulations on your achievements so far!

446e2684
Community Member

Have been buying credits over 2 weeks now and not getting Jobs I send out proposals but no feedbacks is there something I'm not doing right please help ....

11e551ff
Community Member

Community member

1d617d5e
Community Member

Community member

I'd say have a 100% complete profile 

758c4be1
Community Member

Hello, I am Alebachew Asamnew from Ethiopia. I am Biomedical Engineer, researcher and I have an exprience in Electronics circuit design and project development. I have an entreprenual exprience too but I am new for upwork, please guide me how to start my very first work.

275b65dc
Community Member

Hi everyone! Am new here. 

We'll need all the help/tips I can get. Thank you.

Hi Roseline O,

Welcome to Upwork! Let’s start with the basics here at Upwork. Below there are a few Upwork Academy courses to help you get started:

Thanks !

5394fd7b
Community Member

I am a first timer at Upwork and I can do more of data entry and data analysis 

3685e585
Community Member

I am new to this website and I have submitted three proposals to comic book-related jobs. So far, I have not recieved a response from any client and I don't know what's going on. I couldn't find any other good website to apply for a job like this and I was hoping someone would see my request and schedule an interview. I will be giving Upwork a phone call if they still don't respond to my requests.

b47dbe4f
Community Member

• Share information  for Upwork only.

Using in-demand skills to land hundreds of Upwork jobs.

c4c179f6
Community Member

Hi everyone. I'm a new comer on Upwork therefore I am unable to get a job. I'm good in translation as you can see my profile. So pls 🙏🙏if anyone is interested pls contact me pls.

When you log into Upwork, go to the Job search feature to locate translator jobs.

9c76c5e0
Community Member

Anyone who can help me find my first project?

Click the above Academy link for success tips and obtain in-demand skills that all clients need.

Thank you!

c4c179f6
Community Member

Hi everyone. I'm a new comer on Upwork therefore I am unable to get a job. I'm good in translation as you can see my profile. So pls 🙏🙏if anyone is interested pls contact me pls.

5a09fc1d
Community Member

Hello generous clients!  Customer-centric, with in and outbound call centers experience. Routinely singled out for high-quality work within deadline-intensive setting spanning collection. Trainable and efficient, with strengths in both project and time management.

Use the job search feature when you log into Upwork to locate clients that need customer service reps.

16794caa
Community Member

I had never heard of Upward before today. What professions is this APP geared towards? Is it mostly for programming and coding?

Copywriting, administrative, marketing, and coding are popular.

9562507e
Community Member

When you login use the Job search feature to look for Jobs to get hired.

orzac
Community Member

Hello,

I need a piece of advice. I`ve been all day today on Upwork browsing for jobs. I`ve managed to find 56 of them in the fields of Customer Service, Data Entry, and Virtual Assistant. I`m happy to work in each one of them as long as I can get a minimum of 6,4$ an hour or 8$ on my Upwork profile.

The question is, when I create my profile, Should I do it like Customer Service Wizzard(My first choice), or Should I make it like others have made it, people from Romania like me? They`ve created for a Data Entry Search Translator| Data Entry | Proofreading or Virtual Assistant. I can`t really find that many jobs in just 1 niche.

There are so few. and there are a lot of stupid job posts. Say, I`m looking for Data Entry. They ask you to do data scraping and data analysis with outbound phone calls to get new clients. Job posts that are so incredibly stupid jobs that ask 1 person to do the job of 3 people.

But I`m digressing I apologize for that. It`s just that I`m pissed off I can`t find a decent job.

When I`ve searched for those jobs, I`ve filtered them from 0 to a max of 15 proposals I don`t think a person that has 20-50 proposals is gonna probably wanna hire me, but c`est la vie.

How do you think I should proceed?

Craft your Profile based upon the types of jobs you want and your audience.

c54ce834
Community Member

as a research writer , how i get my first order

c54ce834
Community Member

great

kanwal_memoona
Community Member

What are some effective ways to create a portfolio that will help me land a job?
b7e19092
Community Member

hi my name is Anastacia iam expert in ms excell, word, typewriting at 50 words per minute a consultant in business administration, strategic management, virtual admin services as well as public relations, i am new in upwork so far i havent gotten any job for startup, i will be glad if i find any to start me up.

regards

bcc1566d
Community Member

Hello

I'd like to take a  moment to introduce myself to the Upwork community. I'm a freelance writer and book reviewer. I'm a single mom in the Phoenix AZ area and my areas of expertise are spirituality / religion, real estate / investments, interior design & decortating, insurance, mental health, psychology, and travel. 

I'm hoping to network with other members on projects within my areas of experts, as well as continue learning and exploring opportunities that will challenge me and assist in  my ongoing growth.

My main sources of motivation are my father God &  my children. I've also been inspired by the death of my mother 3 years ago.  This is a time when I began writing poetry. 

I'm also well versed in story telling, ghost writing, blog posts, typing and file conversion or data entry, email marketing, newletters / sales pages. I'm also available to assist on any other writing project as needed.

My other skills can be summed up as follows:

Project management

client databases

Word / Excel, Power Point 

Google Docs / Drive

I look forward to connecting with you all and building meaningful relationships. 

1. What are you hoping to learn from other members? 
  2. What (or who) inspires you?
0fddde59
Community Member

Hi, andrea 

I am new to upwork i am a dietitian & nutritionist i have completed my profile 100%. I am looking for a job i am biding for jobs from last 1 month i hadent got any response from any client. what changes should i do in my profile?

0ca42f20
Community Member

My name is Steven, and I'm a skilled digital marketer with expertise in social media marketing, affiliate marketing, link promotion, Shopify, Reddit marketing, and more. I'm proud to say that I have a proven track record of delivering high-quality content to my clients, and I'm here to help you take your online presence to the next level. With my extensive knowledge and experience, I can help you develop effective marketing strategies tailored to your unique needs. Whether you're looking to boost your social media presence or increase your affiliate sales, I have the skills to help you achieve your goals. If you have any questions or need assistance with your digital marketing efforts, don't hesitate to reach out to me. I'm always ready to help and committed to delivering outstanding results for my clients. Let's work together to take your business to new heights!

When you login, go to the Job search and submit to appropriate jobs.

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! This is where you can ask and answer questions, browse topics, socialize, learn, network with other members, and stay updated about Upwork's latest news.

As a community member, you can also share your feedback on existing features and suggest new ones. If you have any ideas to improve your experience on Upwork, don't hesitate to share them here!

To help you get started on Upwork, we recommend checking out the following Upwork Academy courses:
Additionally, we encourage you to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to enhance your success on Upwork.
We hope these resources will be valuable to you as you embark on your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork
963ff588
Community Member

I am also looking for the first job in Accounting and Bookeeping field. I have been trying since llong time but not being able to get the job.
Here is my profile link: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~012909b57906f86705

534632bb
Community Member

How can I find work?

d86c41b5
Community Member

I have a specific question

9869cefb
Community Member

Hi friends, 

Good to be. Hope to learn and relearn. Anyone to show me around how it works.?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths