🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Upwork Tax PayPal Question
Page options
39a2451a
Community Member

Upwork Tax PayPal Question

If you use the paypal for get paid you still need to fill out the W-9 forum?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "I thought you had to pay tax for PayPal."

A person's use or non-use of PayPal does not change the amount of tax that they are legally obligated to pay to the government.

You may by thinking of a "fee."

When people withdraw money to or from PayPal or otherwise use that service, there is typically a "fee."

And when an Upwork user withdraws money to a U.S. bank account, there is no fee.

It will be less confusing if we use the words "tax" and "fee" separately on Upwork.

Whether or not we withdraw money to PayPal or a no-fee option such as a U.S. bank account does not matter when it comes to whether or not we need to fill out W-9 forms.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Your choice of payment withdrawal method has nothing to do with whether or not you need to fill out W-9.

39a2451a
Community Member

I tought you had to pay tax for paypal.

re: "I thought you had to pay tax for PayPal."

A person's use or non-use of PayPal does not change the amount of tax that they are legally obligated to pay to the government.

You may by thinking of a "fee."

When people withdraw money to or from PayPal or otherwise use that service, there is typically a "fee."

And when an Upwork user withdraws money to a U.S. bank account, there is no fee.

It will be less confusing if we use the words "tax" and "fee" separately on Upwork.

Whether or not we withdraw money to PayPal or a no-fee option such as a U.S. bank account does not matter when it comes to whether or not we need to fill out W-9 forms.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths