cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Anil T Member Since: Dec 29, 2009
81 of 1,388
I am feeling i missed something after reading this article so i am going to complete my profile base on this article. Lets see what happen later. overall this article is best
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
82 of 1,388
Hello Naomi I'm a new user. I think your post will help lot of people like me. I hope I'll get time to time advise and help like this from you. Very good job indeed. It reflect your dedication and sincerity to the job. Thanks again Uttam
Chaudhery Aqeel A Member Since: Feb 25, 2011
83 of 1,388
Hello there, I just couldn't believe this. I hope someone from oDesk might answer here. It would be nice, if you could give the exact details of that particular job opening(. It'll make things clearer than what we could understand from your side of the story. Thanks, Chaudhery Aqeel.
Arvin Ritchill O Member Since: Feb 16, 2011
84 of 1,388
Hi Naomi, thank you for this. God bless.
Marcia B Member Since: Mar 20, 2010
85 of 1,388
I wanted to comment on the test part of the profile completion. One of the very best aspects of Odesk, is that their tests are FREE. Other sites charge for each one. I refer clients from other sites to my Odesk profile to verify my competencies, because I'll be d**^^ed if I'll pay to take them again. Take advantage of it. Have a cover letter handy that's adaptable, so that you can paste in most of it with a few additions or changes to customize it for a particular posting. Trust me, it's proven to be worth the effort. If you get the idea from a post that you can be totally frank with a potential employer, do it. Attach your pretty cover letter with some samples pasted below it. You'll be able to keep your formatting and pretty layout for everything. I thought the whole online job thing would be just another impersonal exercise in frustration (I'm pretty old and used to the pounding the pavement job hunting experience). However, I've found it to be just the opposite and that a "pull no punches", honest cover letter regarding rate, time and a reasonable assessment of the job, gets better results than a pretty cover I would have sent out in the mail a decade ago. Get REAL and good luck to all of us out here in our bedroom slippers!
Muhammad Waqas K Member Since: Feb 18, 2011
86 of 1,388
Thanks dear, it was really very helpful for new comers.
AllahDitta T Member Since: Feb 25, 2011
87 of 1,388
i am realy thankful to you becasue of this post full of advice. Though i am realy worry for not having any job here but i m hopeful that your post would increase my confidence.
Cindy B Member Since: Jan 12, 2011
88 of 1,388
I am fairly new on oDesk and at first I despaired of ever getting that first job. I joined on 1-13-11 and was lucky enough to get my first job on 1-31-11. When I kept looking for jobs, I would find jobs that had just been posted and before I could draft my cover letter I would discover that 3 or 4 people had already applied. The only thing I could figure out was that they were pasting in a standard cover letter and not tailoring it to the specific job. I have received three job offers without even being interviewed. I know for a fact that at least one of them never even looked at my profile. That is because my cover letter was tailored to the job and mentioned knowledge and skills that I possessed that made me the best candidate for the job. The job was writing content for attorney websites. All I had to do was mention my 29 years in the Criminal/Traffic court system, the fact that my father is an attorney, and that his parents were court reporters. That is all I needed to say. The most recent job offer I received, I was fortunate enough to be the first applicant. I kept track of the other applicants and checked out their profiles. What I found amazed me. There was one applicant who had no resume and the only test he had taken was the oDesk readiness test. He was new to oDesk. He didn't get the job. However, I found other applicants who had either not taken any other tests or very few tests, but found that they had a long work history on oDesk. That told me that it wasn't their profiles that got them the early jobs, but their cover letters. You should examine your life for experiences that you can place on your profile. Check out jobs that you feel you qualify for and check out the profiles of the other applicants. Learn from them. I will be getting my first pay for an hourly job (still on it) this Wednesday. (My first job was a fixed price job.) I will also be getting paid next week as well. As I have two jobs going, I have decided not to apply for any more jobs at this time as I want to do my best for my employers. To those who despair of ever getting that first job, all I can say is this: Take tests to show your skills Review and revise your profile Find things that you have done that can be added to your portfolio Be honest about what you are and are not capable of doing. Your employer will appreciate your honesty. Having a portfolio (even if there is only one item in it) will open up other jobs for you.
john l Member Since: Aug 5, 2010
89 of 1,388
Really loved the article. Joined oDesk about 4 years ago but due to lack of these insightful tips, left my profile idle until this year. I have landed a job already owing to this knowledge. Kudo's comrades.
cyril r Member Since: Oct 16, 2009
90 of 1,388
Thanks to a very interesting piece of advice.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS