🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » What am I doing wrong?
Page options
31d4253b
Community Member

What am I doing wrong?

Hi there, I am new here. 

I have worked to get my profile/s as best as I can. I put 3 offers and nothing. 

Can someone take a look at my profile and make me some suggestions for changes to be visible?

I might need some help with my cover letter as well. 

Please help me. 

Ana 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Ana G wrote:

Hi there, I am new here. 

Can someone take a look at my profile and make me some suggestions for changes to be visible?

Please help me. 

Ana 

Hard to say if you are doing anything wrong, but your expectations are too high. Winning the first job after 3 proposals might happen to a lucky few, but most people need more than that, and 90% of freelancers never do.

To your profile: it's never a good idea to offer skills with widely different levels of education and experience. You can't be taken seriously as a lawyer when you also offer to do assistant work. You might think it's smart to put each and every skill you possess out there in the hope that something sticks, but this strategy will get you nowhere. Do quite the opposite, offer few skills, and go for the best paid ones.

Finally, your profile is full of errors and typos, and your level of English is far from native, so get that changed and corrected. One expects a lawyer to be a stickler for even the tiniest details. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Ana:

3 proposals is not very many.

Freelancers often need to submit many more than that and work for a much longer period of time in order to get started here.

Especially if they are trying to get started in an over-subscribed job niche such as VA.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Ana G wrote:

Hi there, I am new here. 

Please help me. 

Ana 

Hard to say if you are doing anything wrong, but your expectations are too high. Winning the first job after 3 proposals might happen to a lucky few, but most people need more than that, and 90% of freelancers never do.

To your profile: it's never a good idea to offer skills with widely different levels of education and experience. You can't be taken seriously as a lawyer when you also offer to do assistant work. You might think it's smart to put each and every skill you possess out there in the hope that something sticks, but this strategy will get you nowhere. Do quite the opposite, offer few skills, and go for the best paid ones.

Finally, your profile is full of errors and typos, and your level of English is far from native, so get that changed and corrected. One expects a lawyer to be a stickler for even the tiniest details. 

a_lipsey
Community Member

I would add that starting your profile with "I'm looking for part-time to full-time work I can do from home" is not a good opening. First of all, who cares? This is a freelancing site, not a job site. Clients are looking for consultants/freelancers, not employees. Second of all, they don't care what you are looking for, they care what service, expertise, and quality you can provide. What you want is irrelevant to them. The line smells a bit of desperation. 

Edit your profile to what service you provide and what you do that's unique for clients - tell them the value you bring to a project. That will leave a better impression. 

It will take many proposals to get the first hit, but everyone started from zero here, so you can too. Keep trying. 

f6a69b6b
Community Member

I was looking around for ideas and saw your "3 posts."  

I've posted to over 100 jobs in about 6 months and won only 3.  Two were very small and one medium sized.  And that's from someone with a "Top Rating" badge and 100% success score.

Unfortunately, it takes a LOT of effort to get any work.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths