🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » help getting started and the rising star prog...
Page options
richardcoldham
Community Member

help getting started and the rising star programme

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

17 mai à 19:24

Good evening,

I’m looking for a little bit of help as I have recently started with upwork and there are a couple of things that are not particularly clear to me.

Firstly, I’ve been pitching for jobs for two weeks now, I landed and completed my first very small job for $20, and I’ve just won my first big one at $1,000 which will be spread over a few months. However, I’m interested to know how many proposals I should be making a month and what the expected hit rate should be. On your free plan I can make about 25 proposals per month, but I have got two jobs only out of the 16 that I made proposals for, nobody else even replied.

Now, I understand that there is a lot of competition, I’m wondering if you can give me any tips as to how to improve my strike rate. I suppose that the more work I get, the more attractive proposition I will become. Is that fair?

Secondly can you please have a quick look at my profile and let me know if there is anything there that strikes you as inappropriate or inefficient? I would really appreciate that.

Lastly, there seems to be such a huge variance in pricing imposed by clients and this really confuses me. Also, I’m kind of shooting in the dark regarding my pricing levels. How can I deal with this more accurately?

In general, I am happy with the way things are going, but I would love to know what the target percentage hit rate is that I should be looking at. Most proposals that I make are 1 amongst between 20 and 50 others which does make it rather difficult!

Last question, what do I need to do to apply to the Rising Star program?

ps: you don't charge for this service, right?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards

Richard Coldham

3 REPLIES 3
pandoraharper
Community Member

@Richard C wrote:
richard coldham**Edited for Community Guidelines**

17 mai à 19:24

Good evening,

I’m looking for a little bit of help as I have recently started with upwork and there are a couple of things that are not particularly clear to me.

Firstly, I’ve been pitching for jobs for two weeks now, I landed and completed my first very small job for $20, and I’ve just won my first big one at $1,000 which will be spread over a few months. However, I’m interested to know how many proposals I should be making a month and what the expected hit rate should be. On your free plan I can make about 25 proposals per month, but I have got two jobs only out of the 16 that I made proposals for, nobody else even replied.

Now, I understand that there is a lot of competition, I’m wondering if you can give me any tips as to how to improve my strike rate. I suppose that the more work I get, the more attractive proposition I will become. Is that fair?

Secondly can you please have a quick look at my profile and let me know if there is anything there that strikes you as inappropriate or inefficient? I would really appreciate that.

Lastly, there seems to be such a huge variance in pricing imposed by clients and this really confuses me. Also, I’m kind of shooting in the dark regarding my pricing levels. How can I deal with this more accurately?

In general, I am happy with the way things are going, but I would love to know what the target percentage hit rate is that I should be looking at. Most proposals that I make are 1 amongst between 20 and 50 others which does make it rather difficult!

Last question, what do I need to do to apply to the Rising Star program?

ps: you don't charge for this service, right?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards

Richard Coldham

Did you really mean to share your personal, private email address with some 2,000 other people in this very public Upwork Forum, which is also indexed by Google? If so, be aware this information is not allowed in the Forums. 

You can either edit it out by hovering your mouse over the edit area of your post (on the top right),  or wait for an Upwork Moderator, who will edit your post weather you like it or not.

I see that you guys have already deleted my email details which is fine. Apologies again, I thought mistakenly that this was something you had added. Please delete this answer thread also as iy has my orifinal mail details shown.

Thanks and apologies again.

Richard Coldham

nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Richard,

Rising Talent status is automatically applied to users who's profiles meet all of the requirements. You can have a look at this article about Becoming Rising Talent to see what the exact requirements are that you must meet to obtain a Rising Talent badge on your profile, and there is no fee for this service.

Generally speaking there isn't really an average "hit rate" on Upwork since may take into account different variables such as varying areas of skills and expertise and the level of saturation in the marketplace for those skills, quality of cover letters, etc and other factors that may vary among freelancers. Successful and seasoned freelancers in our Community can assist in suggestions for tweaking your profile if needed.

~Nina
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths