🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » legit job poster
Page options
farida786
Community Member

legit job poster

How would i know if a job posted is legit? I could  not find them on linked and they do not have any photo or background on upwork. Thank you in advance 

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "How would i know if a job posted is legit? I could  not find them on linked and they do not have any photo or background on upwork. Thank you in advance "

You should not be looking for them on LinkedIn, and you do need to see a photo of them.

You should evaluate a job based on what you see on Upwork. Not googling stuff and looking on other websites. Because the scammers who trick newbie freelancers just copy the names and links of big websits and companies and feed those to you.

What matters is if they hire you using a REAL Upwork contract. Through Upwork. Not through email or Google Hangouts or something.

Look to see if they are PAYMENT VERIFIED.

If you have questions, ask us here in the Forum.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Farida, 

For more information about working safely through Upwork, please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, and the Safety First! section of the freelancer resources we have compiled..

~ Avery
Upwork
farida786
Community Member

thanks Avery!

please see my reply in this chain to Petra. I will look into sent links. 

farida786
Community Member

How would i know if a job posted is legit? I could  not find them on linked and they do not have any photo or background on upwork. Thank you in advance 

@Farida J wrote:

Whether a client is on LinkedIn or not is irrelevant.

All that matters is if they hire you with a verified payment method or not.

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

farida786
Community Member

thanks for the reply Petra. I do not think job posters should not have any background available besides the payment method. If I am working with someone i should be able to know their background and qualifications just like when i apply for a regular job we know the identity of the company via their website and some background on th the interviewer. I think that is jus fair. The payment and all that comes later. Its also not just about payment but also being comfortable with whom you are working with.what if someone is just collecting data and not really going to offer you a job in the end. I do not want to waste my time on that and also supply my background w/o knowing who the person is and what are they asking all this information whether it is actually for a job or are they using my data ( eg  provide reports or portfolio of your work ) for their own gain or project.

@Farida J wrote:

thanks for the reply Petra. I do not think job posters should not have any background available besides the payment method. If I am working with someone i should be able to know their background and qualifications just like when i apply for a regular job we know the identity of the company via their website and some background on th the interviewer. I think that is jus fair. The payment and all that comes later. Its also not just about payment but also being comfortable with whom you are working with.what if someone is just collecting data and not really going to offer you a job in the end. I do not want to waste my time on that and also supply my background w/o knowing who the person is and what are they asking all this information whether it is actually for a job or are they using my data ( eg  provide reports or portfolio of your work ) for their own gain or project.

I don't worry about a client's background, just their payment.  As far as them having my "information", all the information they need is on my profile. If you're spending a lot of time consulting with a client, then you need to rethink your strategy. If you feel they're trying to just get answers from you without actually hiring you, quit the interview or ask them to start a consulting contract. 

I'm not sure what you mean by knowing their qualifications, but I look at it this way. The less a client has to do on the platform the better. After all, they're here because they don't have time. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

I understand the information you provided and thankful for that a lot.
just providing basic background will be one time task
Should not take that much time
I think it’s fair ask

Good idea to have them open a consult request when they are asking for more
than basic information
Thanks again
Please type your reply above this line -##

--
Farida
Sent from my mobile device

@Farida J wrote:

If this is the case, online freelancing may not be your "cup of tea". I don't know anything about the clients I've worked with - I learn a little bit once we're working together - with few exceptions they've all been wonderful. Repeat clients become more than "just" clients. I don't find that it's a "waste of time; online freelancing bears no resemblance to "applying to a regular job" and requires a different approach.

There is skill in recognizing good clients through their job posts. I have rarely been disappointed. If Upwork required all that you are asking for of clients, they would leave in droves.

kat303
Community Member

@Farida J wrote:

thanks for the reply Petra. I do not think job posters should not have any background available besides the payment method. If I am working with someone i should be able to know their background and qualifications just like when i apply for a regular job we know the identity of the company via their website and some background on th the interviewer.

There's no need to know the background and qualifications of a client. That has IMO absolutely no relevance.. All you should care about, and I think anyone should care about is if they are officially hired on this site, if the client's payment method is verified and if a client fully funds escrow for the job or milestone. Anything else has nothing to do with a freelancer providing a service to a client. 

I think that is jus fair. The payment and all that comes later.

The payment should come first. It's all about the payment and making sure clients accounts are verified so you are able to get paid, Also making sure escrow is fully funded for the same reason (to get paid) 

Its also not just about payment but also being comfortable with whom you are working with.what if someone is just collecting data and not really going to offer you a job in the end.

Freelancing over the internet is totally different then working in the B&M world. You are connecting with strangers who you just met on the internet. There are scammers here and you should acquaint yourself on the same old various scams that new freelancers fall for. It's not about feeling comfortable. It's feeling that you've educated yourself on what goes on here and other freelancing sites so that you don't get scammed. As mentioned if you need to feel comfortable, if you need to verify backgrounds and clients qualifications etc then maybe freelancing isn't for you. 

I do not want to waste my time on that and also supply my background w/o knowing who the person is and what are they asking all this information whether it is actually for a job or are they using my data ( eg  provide reports or portfolio of your work ) for their own gain or project.

If you educate yourself on what to look out for. If you know that asking for personal information isn't part of freelancing, If you read up on how to work on this site successfully and  use common sense then you wouldn't need to worry about wasting your time, supplying your background, if your data is being used, if it's a real job or not, or anything else within those lines. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths