🐈
» Forums » Support » Can I trust verified clients that want to int...
Page options
2cab0b1a
Community Member

Can I trust verified clients that want to interview outside of Upwork?

Hi everyone,

So very recently I was met with a bit of a conflict on scheduling a client interview. I had a client that recently declined me because I refused to meet on skype or business whatsapp. After that happened, I saw that the person's payment method was verified which maybe would've met I could trust this client not being a scam. 

Should I have just gone through with this interview and trusted them or no?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No.

Never contact outside before contract started.

Maybe you will skip 1 client who broke rules but also you will skip 99 scammers. Scammer always will ask you outside to avoid evidences here.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
kkears
Community Member

Hey Ocean -- You did the right thing. "Payment verified" does not mean they are a legitimate client. This potential "client" was likely a scam. 

ArjayM

Hi Ocean,

Firstly, please remember that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. You may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork.

We also encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
2cab0b1a
Community Member

There was another potential client that reached out to me and told me that they were authorized by Upwork to be able to meet on skype. I was hesitant about this one and nearly said yes but backed out at the last minute in fear of it not being trustworthy. Can clients gain authorization to conduct interviews off Upwork?

No.

Never contact outside before contract started.

Maybe you will skip 1 client who broke rules but also you will skip 99 scammers. Scammer always will ask you outside to avoid evidences here.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths