🐈
» Forums » Support » Community Revamp - 04/20/2022
Page options
StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Community Revamp - 04/20/2022

Community may look a tad different when visiting today! We’re excited to roll out our revamped look and feel throughout the Upwork Community. While things may look different, you’ll find nearly everything you are used to about Community is still in the same spot you are familiar with. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, read on below! Check out the full article here

Let us know what you think - Provide us any feedback or report any oddities you may encounter.

Known bugs and issues - We'll try to keep this updated throughout the week as we tackle find and tackle these
  • Usernames are not showing as First Name, Last Initial in all spots
    • This has been resolved in most spots. We're working to fix the few remaining.
  • Last edit/edit author is missing from forums
  • Header has slight issue with margins when no announcement is present
  • On mobile, the search bar on homepage is going off the page
  • We're looking into adding the 'load more' button back in as an optional setting per feedback here
  • Search is missing from the header (Should be next to your avatar/notifications)
  • Link to Upwork Profile is missing from member profiles
  • Pagination is (at times) missing for (some) members
  • PM and Community notifications are missing
  • Custom tags for our moderators are missing
  • Private Messages are squished when visiting the private messages page
76 REPLIES 76
daniilre
Community Member

Is it possible to create a new group? E.g., I want to create a group for Armenia

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're planning to start opening this up - I'll have the team reach out!

wescowley
Community Member

In the utterly inconsequential category, the leaderboard is displaying two different kudo upvote counts.

vqBCrESGGu.png

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Oh, now that's a fun one.  Thanks!  (We also plan to call out time period it is for and add link to leaderboards in the title!)

Edit: This has been fixed.

wescowley
Community Member

@StanG wrote:

Oh, now that's a fun one.  Thanks!  (We also plan to call out time period it is for and add link to leaderboards in the title!)

I should add that, personally, the leaderboard is wasted space that should be used for more important information.

Agree! I very much dislike the leaderboard. It just entices newbies to PM these people. I get too many of those. 

[moved by author]

renata101
Community Member

Forgive me if someone has mentioned this. This is not a colour scheme that should continue.

I want my velociraptor back! This color scheme makes me want to bite someone's head off.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 8.32.54 PM.png

In places where the old Upwork green + Upwork teal still shows up, it's far superior to any of the dizzying array of alternatives we've been subjected to so far.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

In places where the old Upwork green + Upwork teal still shows up, it's far superior to any of the dizzying array of alternatives we've been subjected to so far.

I hear ya.

Somebody! Can we stop here please?

This actually goes with the Upwork Green, as does that Autosaved Blue.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 8.48.57 PM.png

I might not be crazy about that one under normal circumstances, but it beats many of the alternatives.

I also quite like this color:

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 8.50.55 PM.png

Have you hired a designer yet?

Renata S wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

....Have you hired a designer yet?

I don't think that's the problem. I think that overall the revamp, bugs and hiccups aside, shows quite thoughtful design, of the form-follows-function variety.

It's a shame that all the fiddling with colors has distracted from that.

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think we changed it over to blue everywhere. We've given up on our attempt at being cool and having a different color for each section.  We didn't like the colors much either. 

gregwatts
Community Member

In "Find Work", there doesn't seem to be a way of searching under "Expert", like in the previous version.  The feed I see contains clients seeking people in all three categories. Before, I could filter out those looking for basic and intermediate.  I prefer the older version.

researchediting
Community Member

While we're all kvetching, here's a bone of praise:

I really like the streamlined look and feel of the top navigation area (whether it needs to be at that scale is another question), and of the posting interface.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Thank you for restoring Feedback to the dropdown! If you'll give us Groups drop-down, I promise not to kvetch about color choices. 

researchediting
Community Member

I know you've got a few things you're still working out on the mobile interface. Having just called it up and noodled around a bit, I'm pretty impressed by how zippy it is, and how much more legible and clear.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Kudos, schmudos, call 'em upvotes if you want. I have to say, though, it keeps reminding me of an episode of The Orville in which a landing party goes to a planet that has no gov't, just a system of public up-voting and down-voting. Everybody can instantly upvote or downvote anything that anybody does or says. Anybody who gets too many downvotes gets socially re-engineered through brainwashing. (Prolly sounds lame unless you've watched the show which is a quite entertaining (IMO) take-off on the original Star Trek.)

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

In private messages, can we still block a sender? Can't find that any more (and can't remember where it was before, it was just obvious). Found "ignore" -- is that a new name for "block"? (Those two words don't mean the same thing, you know.)

Yes, same thing. We're looking into better highlighting this.

m_terrazas
Community Member

I see you replied to Amanda regarding GIFs:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Early-Access-and/Request-remove-GIFs-from-thumbnails/m-p/1...
You could have answered here too.

Anyway, the **bleep** guy walking over and over is still there on the right. If you've removed it from other places, I'd appreciate it if you'd remove it here as well.

m_terrazas
Community Member

I don't know if it's already been said in the thread, but I'm not going to read the whole thing again.
Stan, could you put the search back to where it was before?
It pisses me off that to search for something I have to go to the home page of the forums when before I could search anywhere I was reading.
What wonderful reason is there to change that?

Maria T wrote:

I don't know if it's already been said in the thread, but I'm not going to read the whole thing again.
Stan, could you put the search back to where it was before?
It pisses me off that to search for something I have to go to the home page of the forums when before I could search anywhere I was reading.
What wonderful reason is there to change that?

Agreed - please put the search back on the individual forum index pages so people can find it.

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think we must have just added this back in, but it's in the header on all pages now as an icon.

We'll be testing an actual free-form search box w/ dynamic results in the near future on there.  Still putting the finishing touches on that.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Stan G wrote:

I think we must have just added this back in, but it's in the header on all pages now as an icon.

We'll be testing an actual free-form search box w/ dynamic results in the near future on there.  Still putting the finishing touches on that.

Thank you. I hadn't even noticed there was a "magnifying glass" there.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Something very necessary.
Can you add the Facepalm and Shruggie emojis?
Every time I read more posts in which the only answer that comes to mind is one of those two emojis.

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Eventually we do want to update them - In the mean time I was going to suggest using something like https://emojipedia.org/search/?q=face+palm but it looks like that doesn't always work - They sometimes break with the formatting

🤦

🤦‍:male_sign:

Edit: Super strange, the female face palm works, yet when trying to add the male face palm emoji it duplicates the female, and also adds in male:sign emoji, but when posting the latter breaks and turns into text.  There must be a conflict somewhere, but that's an interesting bug

m_terrazas
Community Member

Stan G wrote:

Eventually we do want to update them - In the mean time I was going to suggest using something like https://emojipedia.org/search/?q=face+palm but it looks like that doesn't always work - They sometimes break with the formatting

🤦

🤦‍:male_sign:

Edit: Super strange, the female face palm works, yet when trying to add the male face palm emoji it duplicates the female, and also adds in male:sign emoji, but when posting the latter breaks and turns into text.  There must be a conflict somewhere, but that's an interesting bug

I only see this:

m_terrazas_0-1651566185069.png

researchediting
Community Member

Stan G wrote:
  • Usernames are not showing as First Name, Last Initial in all spots
    • This has been resolved in most spots. We're working to fix the few remaining.

One place I was surprised to see this was on the upvote(r) reveal page in the Freelancers forum.

While I'm here, thanks for what looks like an incidental fix: using the browser back button to return to a forum index now takes us back to where we were when we left it; this seems to be working properly everywhere I've been, after being broken for weeks or months.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Stan, I would ask you to please not use animated GIFs. I'm sick of seeing that guy who advances over and over again.
I will be an old curmudgeon, but it is something that seems childish to me, it gets on my nerves and distracts me. Peripheral view is seeing it move over and over again.

Maria T wrote:

Stan, I would ask you to please not use animated GIFs. I'm sick of seeing that guy who advances over and over again.
I will be an old curmudgeon, but it is something that seems childish to me, it gets on my nerves and distracts me. Peripheral view is seeing it move over and over again.

I have made the same request, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears. 

pgiambalvo
Community Member

What happened to the most viewed or most kudoed or most responses post list on the right of the pages that was there a couple of days ago?

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're working out some kinks with what will be displayed on the right side.

You can find most of the links to the various pages here -> https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/Helpful-Community-links-leaderboards-unanswered-topics-... 

wescowley
Community Member

I see that the scoreboard has been replaced with the old-style scoreboard (still a waste of space, but whatever). On the forum page, the usernames come up first and are then replaced with real names. On the thread displays, the usernames come up and stay up.

pradp_dabhi
Community Member

Header's text, space and Icons(Search Dropdown)  are different in home page and Job details page!

firescue17
Community Member

• This still happens (the Ukraine pop-up)
  • Both of these still happen:
    • "normal" is not the default font size for a brand new post. The default font size is actually, "Small."
    • there is an [intermittent?] bug with bulleted text appearing in a smaller font size
  • Both of these still happen:
    • declining the survey hyperlinking to the footer
    • the survey IGNORING session declines and spamming us with 30 or 40, "Tell us what you think ..." pop-ups)
  • This text entry box is not resizeable, despite the misleading drag-and-drop icon in the lower right-hand corner.
  • This text entry box is completely and entirely too small to write any message of value. Unless the intent is to reduce intelligible discussion down to a Tweeter-esque 280 characters.

Footnote #1: Don't do anything in popups ever again;

Footnote #2: or gigantic icons and excessive white space like the homepage;

Footnote #3: and simply get rid of the survey. Its value is non-existent.

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ukraine popup - Is this in Community or Upwork itself?  We don't have any popups currently in Community. (edit - I'm wrong, we did leave this on in some spots - It's now off!)

Bullets - Checking into this one

Survey - Hyperlink to footer is unfortunately a bug in our platform itself, we're still waiting for our vendor to resolve it.  While I can understand the survey popping up in multiple tabs at the same time, it should be not prompting you to take the survey again for at least  60 days after you decline it. Are you saying you are receiving it all the time, much more than every 60 days?

Text entry box resizable - I just dragged the box down and made it the entire size of my browser, when you drag it up/down nothing happens?  I'm attaching photo below of how I was able to increase it a lot?

exam.PNG

firescue17
Community Member

Stan G wrote:

Text entry box resizable - I just dragged the box down and made it the entire size of my browser, when you drag it up/down nothing happens?  I'm attaching photo below of how I was able to increase it a lot?

Apologies. Confirming the text box is resizeable and the issue is a plugin conflict. The drag-n-drop icon in the corner is blocked on this website by the Z-layer of the Grammarly plugin.

The default line display is 4 lines. I would recommend at least 8-10 lines. When quoting a thread or bulleting a list, one can't read any reasonable amount of text.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths