🐈
» Forums » Support » I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED
Page options
0aaff36e
Community Member

I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED

I am very new to upwork and would like to earn some extra money. I applied for vacancies in order to work. Subsequently, 1 client approached me via upwork messages that I can take on a project on telegram. I probably thought this is how the process works. I submitted the project but was not paid. He assumes that all payment options are available and that he can choose whatever he wants. After handing in I indicated that it can be done via PayPal via Upwork. Then he said that it is not possible and is only possible via **Edited for Community Guidelines**. A link was sent to create an account and then they could transfer money. I was not aware that I was applying for a credit card. Finally I noticed that it is a credit card but you can't reach anyone, you can't cancel it, you can't reach customer service. Now the telegram clients are not responding either. So I have been scammed, I have nowhere left to go, I don't know how to proceed

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

2 REPLIES 2
da48367a
Community Member

Before you go to each platform, especially a job-searching platform, try to read their terms of use. Upwork has a policy that, as a freelancer, you should not take your communication outside of Upwork, everything should be on Upwork until the client sends an offer letter. There are a lot of scammers on Upwork, but only a few can identify them, and you might fall into their trap because you are seriously in need of a job. So sorry for the bad experience, but just understand that upwork has nothing to do with it since you took it outside.

Also, note this, because of another time. Not all the scammers will ask you to chat with them on telegram some of them do what they want here on Upwork, and a lot of people fall for that. Don't ever click on a link you don't trust. Always try to check the client's history to know if the client has spent or hired anyone.

A scammer once came to me on Upwork, he sent me a direct offer and was forcing me to click on a link he sent and put in a password (123) which he provided, but i already knew he was a scam and my friend also got the same job we have to flag it.

Files like this are all from scammers .exe, .vbs, .scr. If you see a file that you don't trust and not so sure if the client is a scam, you should ask the client for a zoom or google meeting so he can share his or her screen and show you the file. ALways avoide the ones that comes with a password once you open and enter the password, they will gain accecss to your pc.

So sorry for your experience and flag the account here on upwork ASAP

9ec589c6
Community Member

Hello,

I've experienced the same. Finally, I couldn't get my salary, neither refunded extra fee I'd already paid. I felt very bad. I'm also new here in Upwork, so we have to be more careful.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths