🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification
Page options
35c60370
Community Member

Identity Verification

Why can't I see the option for identity verification in my profile settings on Upwork, I have already completed my profile on Upwork, but still cannot see the option for identity verification, what should I do to ensure that my identity is properly verified and being able to access all of the features and benefits of the platform? I need help please.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ArjayM

Hi Trisha Mae,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

You may be asked to complete a visual verification and provide a valid government-issued ID. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria.

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,030 REPLIES 1,030

Hi Sana,

Thank you for your message. You can still proceed with uploading your documents on the same verification link and our team will reach out to you if they need more information. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hello Pradeep

Thankyou for replying,but please can you recheck it again,because it seems my profile is on holdand how can I buy connects if I don't have visa card please elaborate

Hi Sana,

Thank you for reaching out. To solve the hold on your account, please proceed with providing the required documents by clicking on the link that was provided to you on this ticket. Once you have submitted the documents, we have a dedicated team that will review and notify you of the outcome. Regarding purchasing connects, you can do this by either using a credit or debit card, PayPal or your Upwork balance. You can check the comprehensive list of available billing methods here>Billing Methods.

I hope this helps. Thank you for choosing Upwork.

~ Johnabi
katkeifer92
Community Member

Hello!

My government has recently issued a new ID version for its citizens, and I want to ensure that my Upwork account stays up to date with the correct documents. How can I update my ID?

Thank you in advance!

Unofficially, as a freelancer:

Let it be.

Verification is always on demand by Upwork. If they ever ask you for verification, use the documents that are current when they ask. They don't keep a running file on updates that happen in the real world.

Thank you for your advice!

d7186e6c
Community Member

I created an account a week ago but still have no option to verify identity. I can't start working because no one will give a job to an unverified freelancer, what can I do?

Hello and welcome to Upwork Novak!

We're glad to have you as a fellow freelancer on our platform. We understand that identity verification is an important step to ensure a safe and secure environment for both freelancers and clients.

Regarding your concern about not having the option to verify your identity, we want to assure you that the verification process typically becomes available once you have been hired for a job on Upwork. Once you land your first job and begin working, you should be prompted to complete the identity verification process as part of the onboarding steps.

We understand the importance of getting started and the need for clients to have confidence in verified freelancers. We encourage you to browse through the available jobs, submit proposals that showcase your skills and expertise, and hopefully secure your first project soon. Once you're hired for a job, the option to verify your identity will follow, allowing you to build a trustworthy profile that clients can rely on.

If you have any further questions or need assistance with any aspect of using Upwork, feel free to reach out. We're here to help you have a successful and rewarding experience as a freelancer on our platform. Good luck, and we look forward to seeing you thrive on Upwork!

Best regards,

Usama I.

thanks, I didn't know about that. I will try

42588eaf
Community Member

I can't see the option to verify my identity on my profile settings and I really feel the need to verify my identity.. upwork support please give me assistance.

Hi Samuel,

I appreciate your interest on wanting to undergo Identity Verification.

Be advised that we’re slowly rolling this out to all freelancers and currently, your account is not yet required to complete the verification process. We do not have the option to manually enable it but once you are required, you’ll be notified upon logging in to complete the verification process by uploading a non-expired government-issued photo ID and meeting with us for visual verification. Then you will also see the Identity Verification option from your Settings. After we’ve confirmed your identity, the ID-verified badge will be displayed on your profile.

While your account is not verified yet, you can still use Upwork and apply to jobs that best fit your skills and interests.

~ Angelica Mikaela
92d32661
Community Member

What I will have to do for Kyc verification? can you please help me for that?

ben88ly
Community Member

Hi 

I just got a job offer and I am required to verify my identity, my country is not on the list which is Libya, and I am refugee in another country, I have refugee card with me and I am frustrated to do the verification before my account get suspended, please help

Hi Siraj,

We understand your concern and how you want the ID Verification to be completed sooner. I've reached out directly to the team handling the review. One of the members has sent you an email with more information and further instructions on how to proceed. Feel free to coordinate through that email, and the team will surely assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
2bccd5ef
Community Member

I went ahead and just changed my name to my current legal name so its easier on everyone. Once my name is legally changed, I can always go back again  (I'll have my preferred name in my bio)

Hi, I've been on UpWork for about a month plus now, and got the email saying they needed photo ID to confirm I am who I say I am, so I was gonna send a photo of my driver's license. However, the name doesn't match who I go by online bc I am transgender and have yet to legally change my name

So I wanted to ask what I should do in this case. Should I just change the profile information to my current legal name until I legally change my name later, or is there a way I can make a point that I don't use my current legal name online and can keep Rocky F in the system?

If I have to change the name, I obviously will do that, but I wanted to ask first before I did

Thanks!

PS: My bio does say I'm trans, so potential clients are aware of it if they see my bio

1e876995
Community Member

I have only my first name on my ID card and don't have a last name, as the Upwork profile will not proceed until I can add my last name. Now I am facing an issue with ID verification. any solution my card screenshot is attached

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Muneera,

Thank you for your message. If you do not have a last name, you can add the first name as both first name and last name section.

- Pradeep

Upwork
alihassan9045
Community Member

Dear Upwork,

My account is temporarily Hold, Someone else i know, his name is appearing whenever i am trying to upload my id documents. I have nothing to do with that person, neither that person has ever used my account. but somehow his name is appearing . kinldy help 

Hi Ali,

You're getting that verification prompt because you've added a payment method under that person's name. You will need to proceed with the verification as requested to be able to continue using that payment method.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
0593250e
Community Member

hello,
I hope you are okay, I am facing an id identification problem for a few days

I am already working on a new job ,  fear I lose it 
this is the message that appears to me

Action required: Verify your identity by 09/02/2023 UTC to continue winning jobs on Upwork

I have send to also my image I don't know what is the problem, this is me and my id how you can't verify me 

Hello,

I understand your concern about the ID identification issue you're facing on Upwork. Despite providing your image and ID, you received a request to verify your identity by a specific date to continue winning jobs.

Here's what you can do:

1. Contact Upwork Support: Reach out to Upwork's support team to explain your situation and the steps you've taken. Request their assistance in resolving the verification issue.

2. Follow Up: If the deadline is approaching, send a follow-up message to ensure your concern is being addressed promptly.

3. Inform Your Client: If possible, communicate the situation to your current client on the new job, maintaining transparency about the verification delay.

4. Stay Patient: Verification processes might take time. Remember that Upwork prioritizes platform security.

I hope this situation is resolved swiftly, allowing you to continue your work without interruptions.

Best regards,

Hi Vikash,

Apologies for the delay in reviewing your documents. I have followed up with the team handling your account and they will update your account as soon as possible.

- Pradeep

Upwork
f8e426f0
Community Member

Dear sir

I want to do id varification to my account . But there is not showing any id verification option. 

Hi Md Nasir,

Thank you for your message. You may not have the option to verify your account yet, as this feature is not available for everyone at the moment. Verification is not something you can request, but it will be gradually implemented for all talent. If our team decides to verify your account, you will receive an email or a notification in your account.

- Pradeep

Upwork
1f8d89e2
Community Member

It good to be verified 

6278634a
Community Member

I'm from Bangladesh and I'm living in Malaysia right now. I've submitted all the documents I could but they arent being accepted. I tried submitting my I-Kad, Passport and residence fees but nothing is working. Can I get a solution to this?

Hi Shahriaz,

Thank you for your message. I see that your account is already verified now.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Thats because i've changed my location to Bangladesh and the documents i've submitted are from Bangladesh too but I'm living in Malaysia. I have added my paypal account as a withdrawal method. Will i be able to withdraw money from it if it gets activated?

Hi Shahriaz, We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

Here's the ticket link that you can monitor for updates.  Thank you.

~ Ruth
5d78f7c8
Community Member

Hello Mostafa 
I'm yet to receive assistance on my issue. Can you take action ?

Hi Yili,

Our support team has already reached out to you. Please check your email or access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths