🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification
Page options
Tushar S Community Member

Identity Verification

Hi Team, 

Today I got my Identity Verification tab in my settings, I have a few questions: -

Q.1) I don't have any last legal name so how are you guys gonna verify my Identity?

Q.2) In my UpWork profile, my current name is "Tushar Sharma", but legally I don't have a last name so what should I do next to get my UpWork Account Verified?

Q.3) My last name in my UpWork profile i.e. "Sharma" is used by me because it was required by UpWork account registration

Let me know your thoughts on it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Joanne P Moderator

Hi Tushar,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

2,385 REPLIES 2,385
Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Wishi,

I'm sorry you're having trouble verifying your ID. I can see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern. Please allow the team more time to review this and assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Ala M Community Member

I have just completed my upwork profile, I am asked to verify my identity, to do so I must have either; a passport, visa or driver’s license. The problem is that I don’t have a driver’s license and I don’t have a passport either. I tried to put my ID card on but it doesn’t pass. what should I do please?

(I am from Tunsia)

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Ala,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the verification process. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Mohammadhamid A Community Member

Hi,
I have trouble to verify my identity.
I'm in Turkey but i have an iranian passport and iran is not in issuing country filed in id verification form.
As far as i know being iranian is not a crime! and only living inside iran is against US sactions.
I would be gratefull if someone help me about this case.
I already sent an email to **Edited for Community Guidelines** since i couldn't find submit support ticket in website, but immediately after send email, i received mail with "This email is no longer supported" subject, also a ticket is created for me automatically after sending email, but the status of ticket is solved, without receiving any answer, so i'm a little confused about how people resolve their problems in the upwork plaform.
Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Mohammadhamid,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
Ross N Community Member

It seems I cannot apply for jobs due to the "Apply Now" button grayed out. What do I need to check on my profile?

Tan N Community Member

I facing with the same problem. When I press Apply button, I am redirected to submit proposal page but all input and send button are disabled

Pradeep H Moderator

Hello Tan,

I see that one of our team members has already reached out to you via a support ticket for the same concern. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Pradeep H Moderator

Hello Ross,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Olena D Community Member

Hello dear team. I need to validate my account with my ID. I did not find a possibility to upload a copy of my document in account. Can anybody help me with this?

Rami Y Community Member

Hey there, quick question about the verification form. It asks for the "country issuing ID," and I'm Syrian, but I don't live there, and I wasn't even born there. Can I still work on Upwork? Just want to know whether i'm good to go or not. Thanks in advance

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Rami,

Yes, you can. You can submit any government-issued photo ID you have, ensuring it's unexpired and valid. We understand that sometimes, you may reside in one country with an ID from another. If this is the case, you'll see another step on your Identity Verification page, which is used to verify your current location, and the team may contact you directly to ask for additional documents. You can check this article to learn more. 

~ Luiggi
Muhammad Zubair A Community Member

Hey, Last week upwork support asked me to submit my ID and document for the proof of address.

Now I have uploaded 3 different bank e statements (1 of my brother as well) with everything mentioned like company address, your address, Date, should be in last 6 months but everytime I am getting that your ID is valid and the other document is not.

i didnt get a single reply for any of my queries in the chat. 
can anyone help? 

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Muhammad,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the verification process. I see that the team has recently followed up with you regarding your verification. Please continue communicating through your ticket with them; you can rest assured that they'll assist you further. 

~ Luiggi

Hey Luiggi, are bank e-statements valid for the upwork verification process? 

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Muhammad Zubair,

Arjay here stepping on for Luiggi. Please remember that your government-issued photo ID must include your picture, signature, name, date of birth, and address, except for passports, which don't need your address.

That said, your bank e-statement cannot be used to complete the IDV. You may check this help article for acceptable documents to complete the ID Verification process.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hey Arjay,
According to upwork support email "The ID you provided is acceptable" but couldn't verify the statement as I have uploaded e-statements.

Thanks for the details. Really helpful 👏

Muhammad Zubair

Hey, I got an email from upwork that my Identity has been verified and I am good to go. 
But I can't submit any proposal and there is still banner saying "Your account has been suspended, please contact customer support". What should I do?
M Zubair

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Muhammad,

I see that you already have a support ticket with the relevant team; you can rest assured that the next available agent will follow up as soon as the ticket is in their queue.

~ Luiggi

Hey, I got an email that my identity is verified. Is there still anything I need to do? I dont understand what's going on.

M Zubair

Nikola S Moderator

Hi Muhammad Zubair,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your query with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola

Hey Luiggi, I didnt get any answers for any of my questions. I submitted 3 e-statements and everytime support reply me a new link saying to re-verify. 
I dont know what I am missing in my bank statements 

Pettie Wettie W Community Member

I submitted all verification documents requested including tax informtion which has my legal name.

When creating the account I did not realize It didn't have my legal name. I tried twice to change the name on my account and you guys keep denying it and it makes no sense to me.

I need to verify my payment method and inorder to do so I need my name updated on my account to my correct name. You guys have my Tax ID so you can see it is my correct name.

I really need some help.

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Pettie,

Apologies for the delay in responding to your post. I am pleased to inform you that your account is already verified and your payment method is already active. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance. 

- Pradeep

Shaikh Z Community Member

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths