🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification
Page options
5cb59c16
Community Member

Identity Verification

Hi Team, 

Today I got my Identity Verification tab in my settings, I have a few questions: -

Q.1) I don't have any last legal name so how are you guys gonna verify my Identity?

Q.2) In my UpWork profile, my current name is "Tushar Sharma", but legally I don't have a last name so what should I do next to get my UpWork Account Verified?

Q.3) My last name in my UpWork profile i.e. "Sharma" is used by me because it was required by UpWork account registration

Let me know your thoughts on it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Tushar,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

2,385 REPLIES 2,385
f2780abb
Community Member

Hello,

According to your reply(see pic1 as attached),I have to answer your question here.

1, pls know that I am from China, all of the ID card are Chinese version, no English name on it.

Do you want me to write down my Chinese name on upwork? Only if I use my Chinese name here, my profile name is the same as my name of ID card. But after I checked the freelancer from China, they only use their English name here, how do you pass their Identity Verification? of course, Monica is my English name and the first name, Q is my last time. do you still have any problem?

2, I can't upload my new photo on my profile setting(see pic2 as attached), why don't you solve this problem on your reply as I emphasized this problem again and again? I Used different Internet browsers in Incognito mode, and cleared browser cache and cookies, but it doesn't work.if you always avoid solving this problem, how can I solve my problem?

I found I can't update my profile name and photo at all, your website refuse me to do that.

Hi Monica,

I'm really sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues completing the verification steps. Could you please share more information about the error you're having so we can investigate further? 

~ Joanne
Upwork
f2780abb
Community Member

Hello,

When I updated the profile photo, it showed that "Sorry, something went wrong. We were unable to upload your image." and “Unable to get a proper response from the server”.

Pls ask your technical support team to contact me, I don't think your customer service can solve this problem. Don't wast our time anymore.

"

Thank you for letting us know, Monica. We’ve escalated this issue via a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
f2780abb
Community Member

Hello Matthew Ranera,

why do you always avoid solving problem?( see pic3 as attached)

I emphasized again and again that  I can't update my profile photo and name at all, asyour website refuse me to do that(see pic2 and pic4 as attached).

Can you understand what I said?? 

96161c52
Community Member

I don't have Passport to verify my accout, but I have  id and i don't see  id option on the list. Please, can you help me?

Hi Bogdan,

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country. If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued photo ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process, and you'll need to allow 1-3 days for the review to be completed.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
991c928b
Community Member

Hi,
I'm trying to verify my identity. Support confirmed my ID document and selfies immediately, but the location verification is still not ready (1 day later). Maybe there is something wrong with the document I uploaded? Please let me know what's wrong.

Thanks

Hi Ruslan,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that the team is currently reviewing the document you submitted. They'll get back to you within one business day with an update. If you don't hear from them, let us know and we'll happily follow up. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
carolkavale
Community Member

Upwork Support
Hello, I have a deadline to verify my identity on the platform. However, at the moment I have a waiting card since my government is not issuing any identity cards. Can you help me?

Hi Caroline,

Thank you for your message. I understand your concern and you can upload the identity documents whenever you have them with you. Meanwhile, your account will be placed on hold and you will not have access to your funds or apply for new jobs. Feel free to message us if you have further questions. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
vipinkumar1306
Community Member

Hi Vipin,

Thank you for your message. It doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
81baa248
Community Member

Hi,

I'm Chinara Chima and am totally new to upwork platform. I got a job few days ago and was instructed by upwork to complete my identity verification to continue using the platform. I tried going ahead with the identity verification but i can just get past the first stage which is the uploading of ID. Whenever i upload my document, and try moving to the next stage it brings up an error message, and today is the last day to complete the process. I've tried contacting support but still no headway. The support page keep bringing up error message as the page doesn't load. Please what do i do like this? and if the situation remains like this, will my account be blocked?

Hi Chinara,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
f28ca33d
Community Member

I having difficulty in veryfying my Id using my Nin

Hi King,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
81ba53be
Community Member

I've got this:  Verify your identity by 02/19/2024 UTC to continue winning jobs on Upwork

But the problem is that I am not old enough to get an ID card as per the law of our country. But my other family members have ID cards. Also it will take 5/6 months to get my ID card. Because this March I will qualify for ID card.
So can I do verification by my father id card or what can I do for ID verification?

Hi there,

I want to clarify that you can't use someone else's ID to verify your account. You must be 18 (or the age of majority in your country, whichever is older) to use Upwork. You can check this article for more information. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
5a6726ef
Community Member

there is no menu of identity verification. i have tried a lot in search of menu. when i generally search and follow the link there is other page is open. plz help to get me a verification badge

Hi Mohd,

It doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. Please know that verification cannot be requested. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account with more information on how you can complete the verification process.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
98a94919
Community Member

I am trying to do my ID Verification and update my account info but I just found that there is no National ID option for Egypt

it requires either  a passport or a visa and I don't have any of them does it makes me ineligible or is there a way to send my National ID for the process ( my national id is in Arabic btw )

Hi Yousif,

Please know that freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country. If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit another government-issued photo ID, ensuring it's unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process, and you'll need to allow 1-3 days for the review to be completed.

You may find this help article useful with more information and best practices when submitting your government IDs.

~ Arjay
Upwork
60f36f31
Community Member

Whenever i am trying to deal some big packages it always comes in between and tell me to verify my identity meanwhile i did verify my id card and did it multiple times probably 5-6 and it just asks me everytime i am so much annoyed.

Hello there,

I checked your account and can confirm that there is no ID verification completed on your Upwork account yet. You can proceed with submitting your ID from the Settings page. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
42c1aa8b
Community Member

I have created my upwork account 2 years ago and its been a few days I have started using it. I have completed 100% of my profile but still I haven't get the verification option on my page. How can I solve this?

63df9a1c
Community Member

Hey its Husnain Abid. I got Identity verification on my profile with last date of 03/01/2024. For some certain reasons my passport is in UK Embassy. So I am unable to upload it. I want to increase the date showing in pop-up. so that my account would not be suspended. Please help me in this regard.

Hi Husnain,

I understand your situation. I regret to inform you that we are unable to extend the last date assigned to your account. If your passport is currently with the UK Embassy, you can submit other documents to verify your account. You can refer to this help page for the list of acceptable documents. Feel free to message us if you have further questions. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
f5221d86
Community Member

My account verification failed initially because of the profile picture I uploaded. Subsequently, I received a notification prompting me to update my profile picture, which I promptly did. I am currently awaiting re-verification. Will this process occur automatically, or is there any specific action I need to take? I haven't received any information or notification after changing the profile picture.

d_vinokurova
Community Member

Good afternoon. Problem when uploading my ID.

I get the message "We had some trouble verifying your ID
It looks like you uploaded an unsupported type of ID. Please try again with one of the following supported types." and I can't do anything about it.

Who can verify my Portuguese ID?

Hi Daria! you can upload a picture of your passport. I had same issue and it works for me. Have a nice day! Mery.

Hi Daria,

The documents we accept include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria

~Andrea
Upwork
00956a09
Community Member

I was asked by Upwork today to do my Identity Verification for the first time. After showing my passport and doing the automatic selfie, they said they would do a manual review. I received an email later saying that I have to do my location verification. Once I clicked on the link present in the email to "Verify your Location", it took me to the website for Identity Verification on Upwork but it isn't showing me an option to provide a supported document that matches my country profile. I can't seem to proceed with the process of verification.

Please do tell me how to proceed as the mail has mentioned that if I don't verify they will place a temporary hold on my Upwork account.

Thank you and hoping to hear from someone soon.

Hi Priyanka,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
00956a09
Community Member

Hi. I was able to upload a government-issued photo ID with the help of your colleague. The identity verification is still under manual review even after uploading the ID. Also after uploading the ID, the whole format of Upwork has changed and now I cannot access jobs under "Find Work". Can you please check and get back to me why this is happening?

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Priyanka,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble with your verification. I can see you were able to reply to the ticket Nikola created for you. Please allow some time for the team to review and follow up with you as they are the ones who can best assist you. 

~Andrea
Upwork
00956a09
Community Member

Thank you so much, Andrea. Hoping to get verification solved as well as correct the issue I am having with the format of the Upwork Website.

shivakilli
Community Member

Hi, my identity verification still not completed and I have submitted everything thru video verification.

Due to this i am not able to accept any new offer. It's keep on showing action required message. Please help on priority.

If your identity verification is still pending and preventing you from accepting new offers on Upwork, it's essential to reach out to Upwork Support for assistance. Here's how you can contact them:

1. Log in to your Upwork account.
  2. Go to the Help & Support page by clicking on the question mark icon (?) at the top-right corner of the Upwork website.
  3. In the Help & Support page, click on the "Get Help" button.
  4. Choose a relevant topic related to your issue or select "See more options" if you can't find a suitable topic.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths