🐈
» Forums » Support » Just had my first proposal and I want to be s...
Page options
1bd4bfa2
Community Member

Just had my first proposal and I want to be sure it isn’t a scam. I’m new!

I am new to Upwork and I had a prospective client respond to my proposal. He stated that he was impressed with my background and would like me to email my resume to his work email. The position is as a personal administrative assistant for an attorney.  

I am uncertain about sending my resume to his email outside of Upwork. Is this common practice? I have read on recommended articles provided by users that you should not interact outside of the Upwork platform as you are not provided any protection by Upwork if you choose to do so. Additionally, my resume contains personal information. 

Perhaps, I'm overthinking this! I am new and would love feedback from those of you that are more seasoned. 

With gratitude, 

Erin 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
spectralua
Community Member

Dont worry, you did all right by asking here. It is scam. Report and block.

If someone trying to connect outside (email, telegram, skype... anything) before contract started then you can be sure that scamer reached you. Also it is ToS violation.

Yep, it may be some client who dont care about rules but in any case you do not want to be banned for rules violation, right?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
spectralua
Community Member

Dont worry, you did all right by asking here. It is scam. Report and block.

If someone trying to connect outside (email, telegram, skype... anything) before contract started then you can be sure that scamer reached you. Also it is ToS violation.

Yep, it may be some client who dont care about rules but in any case you do not want to be banned for rules violation, right?

I have the same problem right now, only when I checked LinkedIn she and the company were very real and Upworks had verified payment. Even with all the verifications, you think it's a scam? I'm asking because I don't know and what should I do?

Just follow rules.

Speak only via Upwork, ask client to open contract. Reject any outside communication.

Do not waste time for investigation. Scamer able to set company name as Apple? Able. Is it real company? Real. Is it mean that someone from Apple contacted you? No.

From Apple? No that wasn't a company I've dealt with. Here is the company info I have:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Company name mean nothing, it is random: Aplle, Microsoft, Tesla.. scamer can write anything. I used Apple as example.

If it's a genuine client, explain to them that initial messages before contract have to be through this platform.

Later on, when you have worked with them for a while you can use email to communicate, but ensure that important information regarding work is always mentioned in Upwork messages. The same goes for work submitted. 

These messages and files on Upwork come in handy when the client disputes work or tries to delay payment. 

This was extremely helpful. Thank you so much much for your feedback! 

Erin 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths