🐈
» Forums » Support » Not possible to use upwork desktop app after ...
Page options
e79ddb82
Community Member

Not possible to use upwork desktop app after an update

Hello,
This briliant feature makes it impossible to use Upwork app on such linux distros like arch linux:

You will not be able to use the Upwork Time Tracker until the update is installed, the application will be closed automatically after 10 seconds.

Why? Because app updates on arch is made through pacman and requires some manual work.
I need it removed ASAP.
Could you imagine windows users are not able to use it once new update is available?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi All,

I am sorry to hear about the issue you experience with logging into the Desktop App. Could you please try following the steps below and let us know if the issue persists?

Please check if you are on v.5.8.0.33 and FE2343 App version from Tray Icon -> About or Tracker Bottom Menu -> About. If you have an older version could you please try removing the app and installing the new version?

Before removing Upwork Desktop App's cache be sure that you do not have any logged time that needs to be uploaded. You can do so by comparing the Work Diary and your Desktop App. 

How to completely delete the Upwork Desktop App's cache:
  1. Close the Upwork Desktop App
  2. Open File Explorer (or an alternative) and navigate to one of the links below, based on your operating system:
  3. For Windows: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Upwork
  4. For Mac: ~/Library/“Application Support”/Upwork
  5. For Linux: ~/.Upwork
  6. Delete the "Upwork" folder
  7. Restart the desktop application

You can find the new version for each supported OS on this page.

Additionally, as Thomas shared you may want to try and change your default browser.

1. Open the Settings app on your computer.
2. Click on Apps.
3. Click on Default apps.
4. Scroll down to the "Web browser" section and click on the current default browser.
5. Select your preferred browser from the list of available browsers.
6. Once you've made these changes, clicking on a link should automatically open the page in your preferred browser.

As a gentle reminder please check on this page if you are using a supported version of OS.

Edited to add. 

If you receive error Screenshots are not supported on Wayland, please switch to Xorg. you may want to check this link for a solution. Here is a post for reference. 
~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

131 REPLIES 131
jasonc_priacta
Community Member

Don't worry, it's broken for Ubuntu as well. 
App auto-downloads and updates, and then breaks authentication with the application, making it impossible to log in and log time in the tracker. journalctl spews electron app errors.

You are supposed to PROTECT your freelancers, Upwork.
It's been downhill ever since the name change. I am absolutely on my way out. This nightmare is not worth the trouble.
Plenty of contractor opportunities on job posting sites that don't screw us over randomly.

It is also not working for OSX.

bajaco
Community Member

Someone posted the updated PKGBUILD on the AUR... However that AUR has been at least partially broken since it changed maintainers. I was able to install the newest version on arch, but I am now getting

(node:46725) [DEP0005] DeprecationWarning: Buffer() is deprecated due to security and usability issues. Please use the Buffer.alloc(), Buffer.allocUnsafe(), or Buffer.from() methods instead.
(Use `upwork --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)
(node:46725) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'util')
    at process.<anonymous> (/opt/Upwork/resources/app.asar/out/main/main.js:2:1722854)
    at process.emit (node:events:390:28)
    at process.emit (/opt/Upwork/resources/app.asar/out/main/main.js:2:1234549)
    at App.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:185:936)
    at App.emit (node:events:390:28)
    at /opt/Upwork/resources/app.asar/out/main/main.js:2:1736952
(node:46725) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 1)

Is anyone else having this? I can't tell if it's due to the update, or the broken AUR. I tried to swap in the hashes to the package I maintain locally and got the same error, but I haven't seen anyone else encountering it.

This is pretty much what I see in my `journalctl`output.

On Ubuntu, the app launches, but cannot authenticate. Instead, the electron app spits out node.js errors like the one above and never authenticates.

Seems to be an issue with the url-handler they're trying to use. `upwork://` points to the correct app, but the app responds with errors instead of using the passed token to authenticate.

The same here: Using Debian 10 x64. After the last update, Upwork app opens, but it requests to log in using the web, and after the web login, it comes back to the Upwork app, but it doesn't catch the logging. I am stuck and I can't continue working. I have deadlines to accomplish. 

Why Upwork  didn't notify those changes through the app or email? I suppose you have the relevant info about the devices and OS every user uses. Is it too hard to maintain a Debian version considering Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian and this is one of the main players between distros? I think you have a wide user base using Linux and this change will bother more than one.

I've checked journalctl and I have the same after an update on arch linux. It looks like it breaks adding an icon to a toolbar, however the app can be opened and it can track a time in my case.

the3dguru
Community Member

I tried the AUR update and its working for me. I am now able to login again. If I could attribute the solution to AUR maintainer I would do so.

ArjayM

Hi Vitali and Jason,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and trouble this may have caused. I've immediately escalated your reports to the relevant team for further review. We'll keep this thread posted with updates with more information once we receive a response from the team. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vitali, Brett, and Jason, 

We did post in this Upwork Help article that we are pushing updates to the Upwork Desktop App starting Monday, October 30. In the same article we added this note: 
"IMPORTANT: If you are using Linux 32-bit, you will need to upgrade to a supported operating system because Linux 32-bit will no longer work with the app. Supported systems are: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS 64-bit, Windows 11 64-bit, Windows 10 64-bit, and macOS 13 Ventura."

Could you please confirm if you're all using the supported systems that are listed here? If you are and continue to experience issues, please let us know so we can look into it for you. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Congrats. Besides being wrong about the issue here (I'm on 64 bit Ubuntu) you've just severed your business relationship with anyone using arch linux by making that change.

You literally just stopped allowing your best developers and freelancers to use your platform. That's incredibly dumb of a freelancer platform largely held up by the volume of work performed by developers.

Yet another item on a loooooooog list of reasons I'm leaving Upwork, after 12 years here.

The audacity of marking this as complete. Wow.
Shame on you @Avery O .

You didn't even begin to find out if this actually was the issue, or if it resolved anything.

Hi Jason, 

Allow me to explain why I have highlighted my post as a solution. When we do this, it doesn't necessarily mean that the issue is resolved. We want to highlight the response so that anyone experiencing an issue who comes across the post will see the highlighted response. 

I added to my post that you could share more information if you were still experiencing the issue despite updating your OS. 

Since the note in the help article doesn't apply to your experience, I'll escalate your post to a support ticket so you can be assisted further. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Right. Because that's what EVERY support forum does, right? They mark issues as "Resolved" when they respond with non-solutions.
In other words, the policy of Upwork's support staff is to LIE in order to look like you're solving issues that are never solved.

Thanks for your contribution to that effort. 👍

I updated my Upwork desktop app (for Windows 10, 64-bit) today, and a few minutes later it just wouldn't work. It won't launch or open or do anything even if I run as admin. I have tried to restart the laptop, and even re-install it but its gets stuck on loading and won't move beyond that. I have also cleared my browser cache and tried everything suggested by the chatbot but it still won't work.

I have been unable to contact customer support about it, and the 'Create a ticket' page won't even load - is just presents a blank white screen. I only have the chatbot and at this point its not very helpful.  Someone please help me? I've already lost a whole work day trying to fix this and contact support.

there is new update. please, update it

Tural Babashov

Valentine,

Reboot your computer.

Reinstall if still doesn't work.

Contact Support above if the reinstall doesn't work.

e79ddb82
Community Member

Hi Avery,
Thank you for your reply.
No, I use not supported OS (64 bit arch linux) which I successfully used since 2018 which means it was supported. At the time when I installed it I didn't see any warnings that Upwork Desktop App doesn't work with that. Is your suggestion I have to switch to another OS or stop using Upwork?

In addition, I have several questions that are not related to OS I use and which would not arise if you cared about freelancers more:
How I was supposed to get notified about this changes in advance? I didn't get any notifications.
How could I have anticipated and prepared for a situation where, in the midst of my work, Upwork suddenly became inaccessible due to new restrictions requiring an immediate update? This abrupt change completely disrupted my workflow.
How I can be sure now that my setup didn't stop working after something like that in the future?
Are you going to update your TOS specifying which OS a user should have to use Upwork?

Have you tried today's AUR update? You can seem an updated PKGBUILD file here:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/upwork

It works for me if I build with this setup.

Using Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and is having trouble with the app after the update. It looks like an Auth failure.

This did not fix anything at all and you got to wonder why it was tagged as resolved. This is bad support.

I am using Windows 8 . Will I not be able to use time tracker anymore?

jasonc_priacta
Community Member

Your recent update for the time tracker on Linux has been an utter fiasco.

To be clear:

1. Yes, I'm on Ubuntu 64-bit.
2. Everything's up-to-date.
3. Restarted my device? Done.
4. Cache cleared? Check.

It seems like you rolled out an update that really messed things up for us Linux users. Did anyone actually test this before releasing it?

Pointing me to those knowledge base articles won't help. I need someone to actually look into this and get the issue in front of your dev team.

We're not able to log in, and it's not because we missed something in the instructions. It feels like the quality assurance on this release was missing in action.

You have a serious bug that completely prevents freelancers from working. If this thread gets closed as "Solved" without fixing anything, I'll just have to start another one.

I can't work because of this issue, so trust me, I've got all the time to keep this issue visible until it gets the attention it needs.

same here

Same here 😠😠😠

I couldn't have said it better myself.

b5188761
Community Member

After an update 5.8.0.33 screenshot is not supported in wayland. I have to switch X11 in Debian 12.

Ran into the same problem with Debian 12, which is similar to Ubuntu 22.04 I assume. Ubuntu also uses Wayland by default, so your list of supported distributions is a lie as one of them is not fully supported yet!

curiouslondon
Community Member

I am running OS 12.7.1. The desktop app tried to update to 5.8.0.33 and it will not launch. I cannot use the time clock or anything, what is going on? I have restarted, it does not help.

Congrats!

You are now running an OS not supported by the Upwork app: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211064098-Log-time-with-Time-Tracker!

The same here, using Debian 10, stuck, with deadlines and without time tracking

Yikes, this is really bad! I actually just upgraded my Mac too, its refurbished but I don't think I can upgrade to a newer OSX. I have never had an update issue before.

oisin144
Community Member

oisin144_0-1700141726498.png

Please help me resolve this issue as fast as you can. I have contracts on hold because of this, everytime I clicked log in to upwork it does not redirect me to browser as stated. I have disconnected my google account to my upwork already and reinstalled the app more than 10 times already but nothing is happening.

I am using windows 11 -64bit as OS on my pc the same with my laptop. However, it is working just fine on my laptop after updating the desktop app, I only encounter this problem on my pc.

The same here. Which OS are you using? Upwork limited the supported OS in the last app update  😣

There must have been a recent update because this has suddenly stopped working.

When I start the desktop app, it shows a popup window which says I'll be taken to the browser to login and then back to the app. I click the button to start this process, the browser asks if I want to 'open the upwork link with upwork'. I click Open Link button and nothing happens. I am not able to login to the desktop app.

The app menu shows Browser login... and Settings... but I cannot view messages, contracts, log time or do anything else.

Hi Steven,

I'm sorry to hear that you are unable to log into the Upwork Desktop App. Please check out the troubleshooting steps shared in this help article. If the issue persists, there is also an option to report a problem on the same help article. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

You all should be ashamed and embarrassed by what you call "support".

None of you are even trying. I've been trying to get ANYONE from Upwork to contact me about this issue and the most I can get is:

- Closed threads

- Merged threads

- Hollow Platitudes

- Empty Promises

- Links to irrelevant articles

Get your **Edited for Community Guidelines**act together!

You just screwed a significant portion of your workforce!

Same here and the troubleshooting steps didn't work for me.

Hi Joanne,

None of the problem cases listed is relevant. The only one that mentions not logging in talks about agencies and google login. I'm not in an agency and don't use google login. I tried both clearing the cache and updating the app but its making no difference.

The article suggest using Support and Feedback from the app. I would have tried that but I can't login to the app so there is no Support and Feedback option in the menu. The article also mentions using 'Get support' but I can't find that anywhere in the UI of the app or site. This is why I'm using the support forum.

I am using Windows 11 64bit; which I think is still supported with the new update.

The problem exists on "supported" OS too like Ubuntu 22.04
I guess Thomas uses Windows.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths