🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Nothing is happening when I Click Login t...
Page options
e79ddb82
Community Member

Not possible to use upwork desktop app after an update

Hello,
This briliant feature makes it impossible to use Upwork app on such linux distros like arch linux:

You will not be able to use the Upwork Time Tracker until the update is installed, the application will be closed automatically after 10 seconds.

Why? Because app updates on arch is made through pacman and requires some manual work.
I need it removed ASAP.
Could you imagine windows users are not able to use it once new update is available?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi All,

I am sorry to hear about the issue you experience with logging into the Desktop App. Could you please try following the steps below and let us know if the issue persists?

Please check if you are on v.5.8.0.33 and FE2343 App version from Tray Icon -> About or Tracker Bottom Menu -> About. If you have an older version could you please try removing the app and installing the new version?

Before removing Upwork Desktop App's cache be sure that you do not have any logged time that needs to be uploaded. You can do so by comparing the Work Diary and your Desktop App. 

How to completely delete the Upwork Desktop App's cache:
  1. Close the Upwork Desktop App
  2. Open File Explorer (or an alternative) and navigate to one of the links below, based on your operating system:
  3. For Windows: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Upwork
  4. For Mac: ~/Library/“Application Support”/Upwork
  5. For Linux: ~/.Upwork
  6. Delete the "Upwork" folder
  7. Restart the desktop application

You can find the new version for each supported OS on this page.

Additionally, as Thomas shared you may want to try and change your default browser.

1. Open the Settings app on your computer.
2. Click on Apps.
3. Click on Default apps.
4. Scroll down to the "Web browser" section and click on the current default browser.
5. Select your preferred browser from the list of available browsers.
6. Once you've made these changes, clicking on a link should automatically open the page in your preferred browser.

As a gentle reminder please check on this page if you are using a supported version of OS.

Edited to add. 

If you receive error Screenshots are not supported on Wayland, please switch to Xorg. you may want to check this link for a solution. Here is a post for reference. 
~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

131 REPLIES 131

Hi:

I am not able to log in to the Upwork app after the last update. The app takes me to the upwork page to log in but when it returns to the app nothing happens.

Please fix this or provide support. I have deadlines to accomplish.

I solved the issue by doing this:

2. Click on Apps.
4. Scroll down to the "Web browser" section and click on the current default browser.
5. Select Microsoft Edge from the list of available browsers.
6. Once you've made these changes, clicking on a link should automatically open the page in Edge.

I hope this helps 🙂

I'm on Linux so no Edge. I tried setting the default to Chromium, which uses the same browser engine as Edge, but that made no difference.

Fixed mine. Thanks!

hoyopro
Community Member

Same problem here On Linux Mint. Can't log time using the tracker now.

Hi All,

I am sorry to hear about the issue you experience with logging into the Desktop App. Could you please try following the steps below and let us know if the issue persists?

Please check if you are on v.5.8.0.33 and FE2343 App version from Tray Icon -> About or Tracker Bottom Menu -> About. If you have an older version could you please try removing the app and installing the new version?

Before removing Upwork Desktop App's cache be sure that you do not have any logged time that needs to be uploaded. You can do so by comparing the Work Diary and your Desktop App. 

How to completely delete the Upwork Desktop App's cache:
  1. Close the Upwork Desktop App
  2. Open File Explorer (or an alternative) and navigate to one of the links below, based on your operating system:
  3. For Windows: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Upwork
  4. For Mac: ~/Library/“Application Support”/Upwork
  5. For Linux: ~/.Upwork
  6. Delete the "Upwork" folder
  7. Restart the desktop application

You can find the new version for each supported OS on this page.

Additionally, as Thomas shared you may want to try and change your default browser.

2. Click on Apps.
5. Select your preferred browser from the list of available browsers.
6. Once you've made these changes, clicking on a link should automatically open the page in your preferred browser.

As a gentle reminder please check on this page if you are using a supported version of OS.

Edited to add. 

If you receive error Screenshots are not supported on Wayland, please switch to Xorg. you may want to check this link for a solution. Here is a post for reference. 
~ Nikola
Upwork

v.5.8.0.33 is the problem. It is ridiculous that this version only runs on Ventura and newer, Monterey is only 2 years old and not supported. That really needs to be resolved, this is affecting many freelancers.

I am not able to log in to the Upwork app after the last update. The app takes me to the upwork page in browser to log in but did not returns to the app. Nothing happen after this

rajat6905_0-1700157878021.png

You are still treating this like it's PEBKAC. (Problem exists between the keyboard and chair).

YOU GUYS SCREWED UP!

You released a new time-tracker without actually checking to see if your own app works on the devices you claim to support.

IT DOES NOT.

We are using the latest version. (That's LITERALLY the issue)

We cannot use a previous version. (We get an error saying that you have to update, and then updates)

Deleting cache, (including the upwork cache), does nothing.

Uninstalling and reinstalling just wastes my time.

Did you know that your app runs on Electron? A framework famous for doing two things:

1. Massively inflating the size of your application unneccessarily

2. Working ANYWHERE.

How you guys concluded that using a bloated framework was a good idea, but then failed to support even basic platforms, is beyond me.

You guys chose a bloated framework and then didn't take advantage of the ONLY reason someone would want to build on electron: It runs everywhere because it's a glorified browser.

You managed to bloat your app, AND cripple it!

What a shocking display of inneptitude.

It's amateur hour at Upwork now that you've gone public, it seems.

You made a glorified website that doesn't run on most devices.

How are you not embarrassed by this? 

This does not help. We need a solution to this asap or you can allow us to rollback on the previous version. This is crazy.

Version 5.8.0.33
(FE2343)

I updated the Upwork Desktop Application today, and now whenever a screenshot is taken during time tracking, instead of taking a screenshot of my monitors, instead a white image is uploaded with black overlayed text that says "Upwork Screenshots are not supported on Wayland, please switch to Xorg".

I have not changed my system settings since the update, and was in fact in the middle of working when this started occuring.

This lessens the legitimacy of my work as clients are not able to see the work I do. Has wayland support been deprecated in the latest update? I have found no information about this either on https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211064108-Troubleshoot-Desktop-App-Linux- or  on https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001457268

Changing to xorg is not a solution to this issue, and can at best only be deemed a workaround.

Hi Rafa,

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. Could you please try the workaround Nikola shared here and see if this fixes the issue for you? If not, don't hesitate to let us know and we'll be happy to assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
011a3066
Community Member

Hello Everyone.From.last Friday my timer is not working.I have tried clearing cache,logging out but nothing seems to work.Is anyone else having the same issue? Any solution will be highly appreciated 

Hi Lowreen,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the Desktop App. Can you please share more details about the behavior you're seeing on your end so we can better assist you?

~ Luiggi
Upwork
011a3066
Community Member

Thank you so much for getting back.It says I log into upwork and when I do nothing happens.It keeps bringing this attached file

Hi Lowreen,

Could you please close the Desktop App completely by clicking 'End Task' in the Task Manager? Once done, please restart your PC and try opening the Desktop App again. Feel free to message us if the problem persists. 

- Pradeep 

Upwork

Hi Predeep,

I have tried applying the solution you offered but still nothing is happening.It is still saying the same thing.

Hi Lowreen, 

Thank you for following up. Could you please try following the steps shared in this help article under Unable to Log in? If the issue persists let us know and we will assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thank you so much for getting back.It says I log into upwork and when I do nothing happens.It keeps bringing this attached file.

Hi Team,

I am not able to login on upwork app from desktop app and not able to run the time tracker for my project. Attching the screenshot for ithe issue. Please look into it asap. It is making huge money loss for me and my company.

ThanksScreenshot from 2023-11-20 11-13-13.png

Hi Arpit, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hello Arpit, Were you able to login now? I'm having the same issue with Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS. Can you share the steps you made to solve it? Thank you.

Hi John,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
cc1e1459
Community Member

This doesn't help on Ubuntu 22.04

I use the upwork linux app almost daily, and starting today, I received a popup on startup saying "Log in to upwork, You'll be taken to your web browser to log in and then back here."  The login link correctly opens upwork and then gives me the option to open the upwork app (presumably) using a magic URL.

This redirect does nothing.  Upwork does nothing.  If I close the app and try the link, it opens to the "Log in to upwork" screen mentioned before.  

This is very frustrating.  I need to log tracked hours TODAY and do NOT have time for this.  

-David D.

Hello David,

I apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing. I know how vital it is for you to record your hours accurately and promptly. I am here to help you resolve this problem and provide you with further assistance. Please click the box on the pop-up window stating 'Always allow Upwork to open links of this type' and click the 'Open Upwork' button. If you have already tried that, could you please try again after clearing Cookies and Cache on your browser? You can also try using a different browser. Feel free to message us if problems persist.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

I tried all the steps you provided, but failed to get success. Please help me in this.

Hi Yateen,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you for the response.  I did get it to work later in the day by doing this:

1. remove upwork app with `apt remove upwork`

2. clear cookies and cache for anything associated with upwork.com (not sure if this does anything)

3. redownload upwork 5.8.0.33 from the upwork website, and install using `apt install ./upwork_5.8.0.33_amd64.deb`

4. restart everything, and check the "allows allow upwork to open links" box when it pops up

After that, the desktop app proceed past the login window and we're running again.

Note that I was already running this version of upwork before, so I'm not exactly sure what fixed it.  

I'm running Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS, 5.15.0-88-generic x86_64.

Upwork Version 5.8.0.33 (FE2343)

Hi David,

Thank you for your response and confirmation. It's great to know that you figured it out, and we genuinely appreciate you sharing this solution. This is extremely helpful for other members experiencing the same issue with the Upwork Desktop App's new version.

~ Arjay
Upwork

I am facing the same issue on the upwork LINUX app. This is new, wasnt happening 2 days ago.

Hi Qazi, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. Could you please clarify which Linux and browser version you are using?

Additionally, could you please try following the steps shared in the solution of this thread or in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork
90171d77
Community Member

You say it does not support Linux but it does support Ubuntu. Well, news flash: Ubuntu IS Linux!

I am running Arch, and most things that runs under Ubuntu will also run under Arch. I am not switching my system to Ubuntu or anything else because my workflow is set up under Arch, and it took a long time to get that working the way I want.

So saying you don't support Linux but do support Ubuntu, which is one of the many distros of Linux, is very confusing.

The app may run under Arch, but now the question is will it work under Wayland or only Xorg. If it runs under Ubuntu, I can most likely get it running under Arch as well.

Though, taking snapshots of my screen is a privacy issue, especially since I have 9 virtual desktops. I work on one or two of them, check my mail under another, and have communication apps running on another, etc. I do not wanting it snapping pictures of my private conversations while I work.

Overall, I will have to consider if I want to move forward with Upwork. It is very intrusive, and Upwork doesn't seem to understand what Linux is, etc. And I don't like to be micromanaged either, which seems to be what Upwork is all about.

majid009
Community Member

I just installed the desktop app on my ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish),
whenever I try to login I get redirected to the web application but nothing happens,
a message saying "If you are not automatically redirected, click or tap Continue button." appears, but nothing happens,
The Desktop app is open but I'm not logged in, just stuck on the login screen

I can login on windows but not on Ubuntu,
I installed linux-deb 5.6.10.1

Hi!

Same is happening to me just now. Have you found the solution? Thanks!

Hi! I updated my computer software to Windows 10.

Upwork time traker is not working on my ubuntu latest version. So recently I had to manually add time to a project. And due to the client's payment problem and the rules of upwork, it has to be refunded. Which is sad for me. After trying many ways, the time tracker is not working. Hoping for someone's help. thank you

Computer Configuration:

Upwork: Version 5.8.0.33 (FE2343)

Zahidul Islam

Hi:

I am not able to log in to the Upwork app after the last update. The app takes me to the upwork page in browser to log in but did not returns to the app. Nothing happen after this

rajat6905_0-1700157183741.png

adgcarr
Community Member

I can only see messages on the Desktop app. I started the time tracker this morning, and it took a few screenshots, I stopped the tracker and when I tried to start it again I could only see messages. It also did not record the hours I worked this morning, when I thought the tracking was on. What gives?

wolfangaukang
Community Member

Seriously, how you could not provide a fallback method for this? This is not working on my machine (Ubuntu 22.04), and not sure what is the main benefit of that login feature. You simply bring it from out of the blue and it is really affecting me today.

I know I can resort to add manual time for this, but how can you provide a faulty application where I can't even understand why it isn't working.

Besides the change of the billing you are doing to us, this is really making me consider another alternative.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths