🐈
» Forums » Support » Not possible to use upwork desktop app after ...
Page options
e79ddb82
Community Member

Not possible to use upwork desktop app after an update

Hello,
This briliant feature makes it impossible to use Upwork app on such linux distros like arch linux:

You will not be able to use the Upwork Time Tracker until the update is installed, the application will be closed automatically after 10 seconds.

Why? Because app updates on arch is made through pacman and requires some manual work.
I need it removed ASAP.
Could you imagine windows users are not able to use it once new update is available?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi All,

I am sorry to hear about the issue you experience with logging into the Desktop App. Could you please try following the steps below and let us know if the issue persists?

Please check if you are on v.5.8.0.33 and FE2343 App version from Tray Icon -> About or Tracker Bottom Menu -> About. If you have an older version could you please try removing the app and installing the new version?

Before removing Upwork Desktop App's cache be sure that you do not have any logged time that needs to be uploaded. You can do so by comparing the Work Diary and your Desktop App. 

How to completely delete the Upwork Desktop App's cache:
  1. Close the Upwork Desktop App
  2. Open File Explorer (or an alternative) and navigate to one of the links below, based on your operating system:
  3. For Windows: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Upwork
  4. For Mac: ~/Library/“Application Support”/Upwork
  5. For Linux: ~/.Upwork
  6. Delete the "Upwork" folder
  7. Restart the desktop application

You can find the new version for each supported OS on this page.

Additionally, as Thomas shared you may want to try and change your default browser.

1. Open the Settings app on your computer.
2. Click on Apps.
3. Click on Default apps.
4. Scroll down to the "Web browser" section and click on the current default browser.
5. Select your preferred browser from the list of available browsers.
6. Once you've made these changes, clicking on a link should automatically open the page in your preferred browser.

As a gentle reminder please check on this page if you are using a supported version of OS.

Edited to add. 

If you receive error Screenshots are not supported on Wayland, please switch to Xorg. you may want to check this link for a solution. Here is a post for reference. 
~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

131 REPLIES 131

defaults.list files are deprecated.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/XDG_MIME_Applications#mimeapps.list
In my sytem this row is already added to /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache . Xdg utility reports it as expected:

$ xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/upwork
upwork.desktop

For me, the solution was copying the link from Continue button (upwork://www.upwork.com/oauth2redir?code=d1234ba123d5c1c98e3d123456ce1234) and using xdg-open command from terminal:

xdg-open upwork://www.upwork.com/oauth2redir?code=d1234ba123d5c1c98e3d123456ce1234

In my case xdg-open was not working. I tried to open that link manually too with no results. Only modifying defaults.list (it is link to /etc/gnome/defaults.list) helped me. Maybe it's because defaults.list is deprected in Arch Linux but not deprecated in Linux Mint?

Community Member

I was able to solve it by deleting "Upwork" folder at Home / .Upwork.

Linux desktop 6.2.0-37-generic #38~22.04.1-Ubuntu

stels88
Community Member

after so many playing around.. found how to solve it on archlinux...

41v4
Community Member

Would you mind sharing it, please?

d7eeca4d
Community Member

I installed zorin 17 based on ubuntu 22 LTS. Installed Latest pworkd v5.16. It does not login on the desktop app. I tried changing to zring 16(ubtuntu 20 LTS) and tried both v5.16 and v5.08(somehow I still had it) but faced same issue . There is no redirection after I log in the browser. How am I supposed to track time without time-tracker not working on linux. I am stuck. Please provide any solution. The accpted solution doesnt work at all. Can we please have a proper fix or a backwards rollout as this is quite bad and I am unable to work.

Hi Kushal,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
moskalev-viktor
Community Member

moskalevviktor_0-1704983839116.png

moskalevviktor_1-1704983866823.pngmoskalevviktor_2-1704983894039.png

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 22 and cannot log in to the desktop app. I have tried Opera, Chrome, and Firefox, but nothing happens - the 'Continue' button simply does nothing. In the help text, it's mentioned about version 5.8, but for Ubuntu, I can only download version 5.6. How can I continue my work?

Hi Viktor,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
djuki
Community Member

Hi,

I have Zorin OS 17, based on Ubuntu 22.04. I installed  UpWork Version 5.6.10.1 (FE2343) and I cant log in. After log in in the browser UpWork app cant log in.

I turned of Wayland and using Xorg in Ubuntu, because screenshots won't work in UpWork app. I tried with Vivaldi browser, and Firefox but no luck. Please open a support ticket for me.

mary-c
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Its just impossible to open the new Upwork app even after the number of times i downloaded and restarted and checked the instructions as to whats wrong and why is the Upwork app not working.

Can you please help?

Thank you.

Hi Mary,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the Desktop App. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths