🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Tax Identification Number for Morocco
Page options
2e750978
Community Member

Payment Method Inactive !

Hello ! It's been five days since i added payment method to local bank. But it's still inactiave. No Response or Verification email from upwork.Can you please tell me how long it will take to active ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zaki,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 

You need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S.taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Update:

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

861 REPLIES 861

Hi Van Anh,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked your account and can confirm that the name mismatch has already been resolved. However, you still haven't filled in the W-8BEN form found in the Tax Information section in your settings. 

Without these forms as proof that you are a non-U.S. Person, Upwork will be required to withhold up to 30% of your future earnings on Upwork and send that withholding tax to the IRS. As long as a new W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely and validly, we are not required to withhold U.S. income tax.

Also, for security reasons, when you set up a new payment method, it will become available for use 3 calendar days after it has been added.

~ AJ
Upwork

I'm proceeding a TIN code right now but it may take a few days to update.

For now i hope i can resolve my payment method first. I would like to proceed the payment via paypal. In order for my paypal to be accepted (not yet withdrawal), should i wait for 3 days? Because just now, my paypal on upwork changed from "beneficiary name mismatch" to "inactive" so I just re-do the adding payment method

Hi Van Anh,

As I've mentioned in my previous reply, your payment method will become active after 3 calendar days from the time it was added. You don't need to do anything else on your end as it will automatically become active.

~ AJ
Upwork

Got it. Just to reconfirm, my paypal will become active in 3 days is that correct?

Also until I finish submitting the W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form, there will be a withhold of the payment and it will just stay in my account until I submit the form right

Hi Van Anh,

Both are correct. Once you've completed the W-8BEN form, you should then be able to withdraw your earnings from your Upwork balance.

~ AJ
Upwork
a785d09b
Community Member

Hello . Even though I verified my bank information and identity information, I cannot withdraw my money. Can you help me? It gives an error like this. What way should I follow? Can you help me please?

(Payment method verification in progress
Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.
Please visit our FAQ page for additional information.)

Hi Samet,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked your account and can confirm that the name mismatch has already been resolved. However, you still haven't filled in the W-8BEN form found in the Tax Information section in your settings. 

Without these forms as proof that you are a non-U.S. Person, Upwork will be required to withhold up to 30% of your future earnings on Upwork and send that withholding tax to the IRS. As long as a new W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely and validly, we are not required to withhold U.S. income tax.

~ AJ
Upwork
061573dc
Community Member

My first name on Upwork profile and official documents is "Mohammed" ,but the my bank first name is written "Mohamed" (with single m).And I have verfied my identity through uploading the official document.

Still giving me that "Beneficiary name is mismatch".

Any advice? 

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Mohammed,

Thank you for reaching out to us and reporting this. I've checked and confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. You’ll now need to complete the W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E form with your Tax Information on your settings page to activate your payment method. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
8adb6ac3
Community Member

I used to do a bit of work on UpWork but stopped. Coming back I see that I can't withdraw anything I earn on the site unless I input a TIN that I don't have. Is there any way around that?

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Tomas,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon on this page to assist you in completing your Tax Information. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
Community Member

When will my mpesa account payment method be active 

Shadt
ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Shadrack,

I've checked your account, and for security purposes, your new payment method will be active in three days from the day of addition. Kindly expect it to be active and ready for use by 12- October.

~ Arjay
Upwork
arshadmazlan
Community Member

Hi there!

I'm having trouble setting up a payment withdrawal method due to beneficiary name mismatch issue. The issue has been ongoing for almost 2 weeks now and I haven't seen any updates to this issue nor any communication from the Upwork team in this particular instance, my previous other issues have been swiftly addressed and dealt with with the help of the Upwork team, hence why I find this a little strange.

If I may shed some light to the issue, my legal name has an odd character that Upwork doesn't allow me to enter, and my legal name is also a tad bit longer and it doesn't fit in the namefield that Upwork provides, hence I believe this should contribute to the name mismatch issue.

I also tried chatting with the chat bot to see if it can help put in touch with anyone from the support team, but the link that it provided keeps taking me to a 404 error page, hence I'm here requesting for help.

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide to help facilitate this matter, thank you!

Hi Arshad,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked your account and found no name mismatch issue. However, I can see that the payment method on your agency profile is yet to be active. It looks like you still haven't filled in the W-8BEN form found in the Tax Information section of your agency settings. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings.

Kindly add the required information so you can start receiving earnings from your agency on your chosen payment method.

Feel free to check this help article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to setup a new payment withdrawal method to my own account (my own profile), not my agency profile.

I have filed all the required tax forms for my personal account, and right now what I'm trying to do is set up a payment withdrawal method via the "Direct to U.S. Bank (USD)" method on my personal account.

After I have finished setting up the new withdrawal method, I'm getting this "The beneficiary name is mismatched" message, and the message is still there after almost 2 weeks now. Hence I'm requesting help for this specific issue.

Hi Arshad,

I've reached out directly to the team handling the review, and they confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. Your new payment method is now active and ready for use. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Arshad, 

I want to investigate your support experience further. Can you identify the link the chatbot shared that threw a 404 error? 

I'll wait for your response. 

~ Avery
Upwork
f2a5cdf7
Community Member

Hi Community, 

I have a number of issues with withdrawing my funds from Upwork. 

1) I have completed a W-8BEN-E Form as I have a UK registered company and sent it to the email address provided and it says it is completed on my tax information however, when I go to the get paid part it asks me to will out the form and submit it. Firstly, has anyone else had this issue. Secondly, how long does it usually take for Upwork to check the W-8BEN-E Form? 

2) My payment method is inactive. I added a payment method for my company bank account when I first created my Upwork account. I am aware that for security reasons, Upwork can take up to 3 days for it to become active however, for me it has been a few weeks and is still saying inactive. Has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you solve it? 

Thanks Jamie. 

Hi Jamie,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you Annie, much appreciated. 

Jamie. 

5041dfc0
Community Member

Hi Pradeep,

So I added the bank account details of my agency last Thursday but it still says that it is inactive, why so?

Hi Saif,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that the payment method on your profile is yet to be active. It looks like you still haven't filled in the W-8BEN form found in the Tax Information section of your agency settings. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings.

Kindly add the required information so you can start receiving earnings from your agency on your chosen payment method.

Feel free to check this help article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork

2cdc7819_0-1707874314713.png

I just registered my account, but when I link it to PayPal for withdrawals, the PayPal account is inactive?

and also I didn't get connect when I just registered, why?

ab54f6c8
Community Member

Hello, I added my payoneer payment system account to the payment methods, but it shows that the payment method is “inactive”, although I have already checked my payoneer account more than once and everything is fine with it, can you tell me what the problem is?, thanks in advance)

Hi Abdurakxmon,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that the payment method on your profile is yet to be active. It looks like you still haven't filled in the W-8BEN form found in the Tax Information section of your agency settings. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings.

Feel free to check this help article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork

very grateful to you for such a quick and accurate answer, best regards)

Sorry, one more question, the tax information verification center requires entering a “TIN”, I contacted the tax representative of our country, but he answered me that in our country, in accordance with state law, they do not issue a “TIN”, but there is a “PNFL”, which I what to do in this case?

Hi Abdurakxmon,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you very much for your efforts, you are very kind)

174dcf80
Community Member

Hello, I'm a student and I don't pay taxes yet. My paiement is currently inactive because I have to fill the Tax Identification Number in the Tax information section.And since I don't have one , I don't know what should I fill it with. Can someone please help ?

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Mehdi,

I've checked your account and confirmed that you've completed your Tax Information. Also, your payment method is active and ready for use. Looks like you're all set! Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
c853229d
Community Member

Hello, I'm also a student and I don't pay taxes yet. My paiement is currently inactive because I have to fill the Tax Identification Number in the Tax information section.And since I don't have one , I don't know what should I fill it with. Can you please tell me what to do?

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Rajae,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon on this page to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hello Mehdi, I'm also a student facing a similar situation as you were. I would love to know how you managed to resolve this issue, please.
Anis

Hello, I simply filled the tax identification number with my identity card
number and I was told afterwards that my paiement was active... 😅
5a4a94e4
Community Member

Why I don't have access to submit tickets for agent-based support?!!!!!

"Last week, I connected my PayPal account to my own account, but the get paid section is still not active for me."

Please someone from the support department help me:
1) Why is my account not verified yet?
2) Why can't I send a ticket to the support department?

Hi Mohammadreza,

Thank you for reaching out to us. If you have any support-related questions at all, you can post them here in the Community and we'll be here to offer assistance.

Regarding your concern about your PayPal account not being active, I can see that it is yet to be active. It looks like you still haven't filled in the W-8BEN form found in the Tax Information section of your settings. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Without completing this form, you will not be able to withdraw your funds.

Additionally, since you're new to Upwork, I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Don’t hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

~ AJ
Upwork
1ae1ad1a
Community Member

ssss.jpg

Hi ahmed,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It looks like you still haven't filled in the W-8BEN form found in the Tax Information section of your settings. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Without completing this form, you will not be able to withdraw your funds.

Additionally, since you're new to Upwork, I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Don’t hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths