🐈
» Forums » Support » Making an account
Page options
tanvik009
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

I just created my account but my number verification is failing saying the number is in use with another account. I've never used upwork before. Can someone. Please help.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,005 REPLIES 1,005
4b086676
Community Member

I am currently trying to complete the last part of my new upwork account and am running into an issue with the phone number. It is saying that the phone number is still in use, despite me closing the previous account which the phone number was used for.

Hi Matt,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
tugceg
Community Member

Hi,I'm trying to set up my account, but I get an error message when I enter my phone number saying "This number is used by another account". How to proceed from here? I own the number and it is my only phone number at the moment. Thanks, Tugce

Hi Tugce,

One of our agents will reach out to you via support ticket to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
bryantdavis1986
Community Member

I finished my profile but when I add my number it says it is already in use by another account. I have never used upwork before and am new to this in general

Thank you for reaching out to us, Bryant.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you Bojan

nclack
Community Member

I'm attempting to create an UpWork Freelancer account and I cannot complete registration because apparently my phone number is linked to another account.

I don't remember creating an account on this phone number, but even in the event that I did, I want it removed from whatever other account and linked to my new, current account that I am attempting to create. 

This should NOT be this difficult.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Neil.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork
lmwmurphy
Community Member

I am working to update my account but it says my phone number is already in use.

Can I create a help desk ticket? 

Hi Lily,

I've shared your concern with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
somayeh-tari
Community Member

Hi I am trying to set up my Upwork account but it won't let me use my own phone number to do so. It says that my number is being used on another account. Please let me know how I can proceed. Thank you

megbateman
Community Member

I pushed the verify phone number button and have yet to receive my verification code. Will someone from the admin team please contact me or tell me how to proceed. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us Megan and Somayeh.

I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification processes.

~ Bojan
Upwork
08fbf7b6
Community Member

please help,  its frustrating, i m trying to set up my profile but it keeps saying phone number already exists, i dont remember puting my number on upwork before . 

Please help 

Hi Anahitta,

I've shared your concern with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
natashanoire
Community Member

Hello, I am trying to create a new account but it states that my phone number is in use by another account. I created an account in the past but when I try to login, it states that the account no longer exists. How do I find the correct account or fix this issue?

Hi Natasha,

Can you please click on my name and send me a PM with the username and registered email address of the account in question? I'd be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
michel-cara
Community Member

I need to close an old account I have with Upwork. I never got any gigs/assignments. I signed up some time ago. Never made use of the app, but setup my profile. Now I want to rejoin Upwork and really make use of the app while I am in-between jobs. Anyways, I no longer have access to the Email linked with the "FIRST" Upwork account, nor do I remember the UserName I created back then. I am trying to complete signup of this "SECOND" Upwork account, but am running into problems, as it reads that the cellphone number is already in use. Will need help how to DELETE that FIRST Upwork account so that I'm able to proceed w/ this new Upwork account. Thanks in advance for your time.

Hi Michele,

I've shared your concern with the team and we'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to further assist you. As a friendly reminder, having multiple accounts is a serious violation of the Upwork TOS.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
arbaaz-meghani
Community Member

Hello,

I'm trying to create a new account on Upwork.  When I try to verify my phone number, it says "this phone number is already in use"

Thank you

Found the old account and closed it.

bryce-rusk
Community Member

Hello,

I'm new to Upwork and I'm trying to verify my phone number, but I keep getting an error message that my phone number is already in use by another account. I have never used this platform before so I'm not sure how that would be possible. What should I do?

Hi Bryce,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
hoseacodes
Community Member

I am attempting to set up my account but my phone number is in use. Can someone assist me?

Hi Dominique,

One of our agents will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
hunter-walker
Community Member

I cannot create an account because I am getting this error. Please help

Hi Hunter,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via email to assist you further with your account issues.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
cicci_william
Community Member

i didnt get a securtiy code for my phone number and i have tried 2 phones and it wont work!!

Thank you for reaching out to us, William.

~ Bojan
Upwork
kiarragrubb
Community Member

Hi Avery, 

I was unable to message you. I am seeking help for an issue with verifying my phone number. Says my phone number is already used for another account. Please advise. Thank you.

Cannot complete profile as it says phone number is in use by another profile. I don't have another profile. Please advise. Thank you.

Hi Kiarra,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
87b7c20b
Community Member

Hi,

Borjan 

Can u help me with problem regarding duplicate account first one i created working with agency they changed my login credentials now refusing to give it back now i creat account to report it,please help me on this

i have two upwork account one account is aggency using now they changed login credentials acoount link is (**Edited for Community Guidelines** i creat new account with same email to contact about it can u help me on this

Hi,

My Upwork Account Login Credentials(Email,User Name & Password) Changed by Agency i been working with now they refusing to give my account credentials,i have created a new a account with same Info and picture,can you Guide me for solution 

Hi Tayyab,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Tayyab,

We will look into this further and will get back to you once we have more information.

Thank you for your patience,

~ Nikola
Upwork
yebbaabrown
Community Member

I am trying to set up an account and it says my phone number is already in use. I have deleted the other account I made, so not sure what the issue is. 

Abbey B wrote:

I am trying to set up an account and it says my phone number is already in use. I have deleted the other account I made, so not sure what the issue is. 

The issue is that you are not allowed to ever create another account after you had one.

You need to get support to restore your original account and then you need to close the current one. You may only ever have the first and only account you created. Anything else is a violation of the terms of service. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths