๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Support ยป Phone Number is already in use
Page options
Ross P Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

I am having a similar issue. I am setting up a personal freelancer account and I need a phone number to proceed with the final step but my phone number is also being used for a client account which I need. Could someone advise please.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!
~Andrea

View solution in original post

1,489 REPLIES 1,489
Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Nadine,

Weโ€™ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Erica W Community Member

Hello

I am trying to set up my phone number on my profile but it will not allow me. It says that number is already in use? 

I have no idea what my next step is.

Thank you 

Erica  Williams-Arevalo 

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Erica,

Iโ€™ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Sun C Community Member

Hi Arjay,

I'm having a similar issue. My phone number is with an older work email account, which I no longer have access to. I tried opening up a client account, but I cannot because my phone is already in use.

-Sun

Alex M Community Member

I cannot verify my account because my phone number is attached to another account. I can't figure out how to chat with a real person and not a robot. Please have someone reach out to verify my account.

Hi Alex,

Iโ€™ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon with more information and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Jade W Community Member

Hi,

I am trying to apply to a job and when I go to enter my phone number, it says "Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support."  This is my phone number and the one already linked to my profile.  Can someone please help?  I've tried to use the chat feature to no avail and I obviously need this to be resolved quickly so that I can start using upwork to find and apply for work.

Thank you!

Jade

Hi Jade,

Iโ€™ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Tamla T Community Member

When I try to verify my phone number, it tells me that the phone number is in use. How can I resolve this please? I'm unable to complete my profile or apply for any jobs.

Maulina Dwi U Community Member

I believe the only solution is to contact to Upwork Customer Service. Current UI is kinda confusing and you might not be able to find which one is 'Customer Support'.
Please talk with the bot first and ask for additional support, the bot will led you to a report submission, attached my chat with bot.

Hope it helps.

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Tamla,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Edgaras M Community Member

Tried multiple times, do not receive any of the codes that were "sent" for phone verification. Without that I can't use the platform, please fix this ASAP ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Felix Nwabuikwu A Community Member

I suggest you chose the option of email address as an alternative means of verification. 

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Edgaras,

Hyper

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Santhosh P Community Member

Hi,

Im also having a similar issue where I am unable to verify my phone number in order to post a job. I need to get this fixed in order to post my job, however I don't recall opening another upwork account, so I don't understand why my phone number is already in use.

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Santhosh,

Weโ€™ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
Jasper V Community Member

My email that my previous account used is deleted which means my previous accunt is inaccessible. I'm trying to start a new accoutn however it says the phone number is already in use  (previous account). I need to either delete my previous account or change the email to my new one.

Pradeep H Moderator

Hello Jasper,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Santa Cruz R Community Member

HELLO,  I CAN NOT VERIFY MY PHONE BECAUSE IT SAYS ANOTHER ACCOUNT IS USING IT AND I TRIED TO CHANGE MY PIN TOO MANY TIMES. CAN AN UPWORK DEV HELP ME BECAUSE I TRIED EVERYTHING

Joanne P Moderator

Hi there,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Mary R Community Member

Hello.  I'm trying to submit a technical support ticket.  I had an old account with my phone number, and I created a new account.  When I try to apply for a job, it asks me to submit a code.  The code will not send because it says my phone number is linked to another account.  So...I try logging into my old account, and the system will only link me to my new account.  Any ideas on a work around to get into my old account to remove my phone number?

Mary R Community Member

I'm confused because my new existing accout allows my phone number, but when I try to apply for a job and it asks me to verify my number, it says it's being used for another account.  How can I apply for jobs when I get stopped here?  Is there a way to open a technical support ticket?  I've tried the "get support" chat, but it only loops to this forum or academy.

Hi Mary,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Sophie A Community Member

There is no such thing as new account or old account. Freelancers are only allowed one lifetime account, which is the orignal one. Having more than one account (even if other account is closed) is a violation of Terms of Service. You will need to ask for your initial account to be reinstated.

Alex W Community Member

I'm trying to finish my Upwork account, but it says I can't verify my phone number because it's already in use. This shouldn't be the case, as to my knowledge I don't have another Upwork account. The chat bot doesn't understand the question, I need help from a real person.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths