🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Phone Number is already in use
Page options
c96f18ce
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

I am having a similar issue. I am setting up a personal freelancer account and I need a phone number to proceed with the final step but my phone number is also being used for a client account which I need. Could someone advise please.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,489 REPLIES 1,489
sean_stone
Community Member

I am having the same issue with my old phone number not allowing me to move forward with creating a new account.

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the issue with updating your phone number. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here . Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hello, 

My phone number is connected to an old account that I no longer have access to due to the email being deactivated. Is there anyway I can clear that so I can use the phone number with my new account?

Hello, I am having the same issue. My phone number is connected to an old account and I cannot apply for jobs with my new account. I keep getting the same message that my number is connected to another account even though I closed the old account. Help. 

Hi Michael,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you on this page to provide further assistance in completing the phone verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hello, I am attempting to verify my phone number but I keep getting the message that my phone number is already in use. I was previously told to reactivate my old account and use that account as it was the one originally assoicated with the phone number but when I did that I get the same message that the phone number is already in use. I need help solving this. I closed the new account and reactivated the old account so now I'm stuck. 

Hi Michael,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you on this page with further assistance on your phone verification and account concerns.

~ Arjay
Upwork
975a1848
Community Member

Hi it says my phone number is in use, but it should not be. I am having a very hard time getting through to anyone with customer service 

Hi Cassandra,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
d0678b05
Community Member

Hi joanne,

I am also having the same issue. I am seeking your help to resolve this. When applying for job, getting phone verification step. There i get message as 'Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support.'

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sivaraj,

We’ve escalated your post to a support ticket where one of our agents can assist you further.

Thank you for posting in the community!

~Andrea
Upwork
92b901cb
Community Member

Hi Moderator, I'm also having the same issue. Hoping you can help resolve. When applying for job, getting to the phone verification step, I get the message "Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support."

Hi Jerrod,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
4910f3f8
Community Member

I'm having a similar issue with phone number verification when I try to apply for a job in the US it wants me to verify my phone number and then I get the message saying that I have tried to change my phone number too many times and I need to contact Support but I have only changed my phone number one time so I don't really know what to do. I can't apply to jobs at all. I can't do anything.

Hi Shauna,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
d17f8f37
Community Member

HI Joanne, Can you please help with my case, similar situation, it always shows my phone number is in use, but it is not, could not find any place to open a support ticket or talk to a live agent, please help. 

_crystal

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Crystal,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~Andrea
Upwork
faisalsamroz01
Community Member

What should I do if a number is already connected to an account I closed already but still not registering???

Hi Faisal,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

Here's a link to your ticket 

~ Angelica Mikaela

actually I was asking on behalf of someine whose account is close right now.

Hi Faisal,

It is best to make sure that the account is really closed. Once the account is deleted/closed, the phone number associated with it can be used already.

Most of the time, freelancers would think that their account was closed but it wasn't. So it's better to recheck. If not sure, Upwork Support is open to any queries regarding this https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us 

~ Angelica Mikaela

Ok I understood.

I'm having this same issue, and I find this website very confusing to navigate to find help. Could I get some help with my account? My previous account has already been closed, but it's telling me my phone number is already in use.

Hi Lindsay,

Thank you for reaching out.

I have escalated your case to our support team. You will receive a support ticket from one of our agents soon to assist further. You can access your support tickets here.

Regards,

~ Johnabi

When trying to log in to the old account - "Your account has been closed."   The new account says the number is already in use.

Hi Julia, 

I looked closer at your profile and confirmed that it's been verified. Looks like you're all set! Let us know if you need further assistance. Best of luck!

~ Arjay
Upwork

thanks for the help

alyssacarr

Hi Ross, 

Rest assured the team will address your concern in this ticket as soon as possible. Please avoid creating several tickets or posts for the same concern so that our team can assist you more efficiently. 

Thank you!

~ Alyssa
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!
~Andrea
Upwork
2fe6f3e8
Community Member

That would be easier to do if it was clear as to _how_ we could reach out and communicate with someone who is not an AI chat.

eacf3684
Community Member

Hi Andrea, 

I have reached out and still after weeks of waiting this problem is not resolved for me either. I can't apply for any work due to this issue. 

Can you help? 

Chera 

eacf3684_0-1694544648993.png

I've been having the same issue, i am not able to apply to anything because my phone number can't be verified. If this doesn't get resolved on my end within a few days, I will be closing this account & going to Fiber instead. 

Hi Jazmin,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
f953b870
Community Member

Hi Joaenne - can you also please help me create a support ticket. I'm also having the same issue.

Hi Danny,

I checked, and your phone number verification has already been completed. Please let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
9f097a0e
Community Member

Hello Joanne,

When I try to apply for a position, I receive a "this phone number is already in use" message. I have also been unable to verify my phone number in my settings. How can I fix this?

I am experiencing the same issue too. I found a job where a customer needed urgent help. but this issue is blocking me while I just paid to become a Freelancer Plus. I don’t have a way to submit a direct support ticket to the team. 

GPA

Hello Alladassivo,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hello!

I also need to submit a support ticket for this issue. AI chatbot will not lead me to a human resource.

Thank you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths