🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Phone number already in use
Page options
a2710568
Community Member

Phone number already in use

My account is attcahed to another account but I cant seem to ifgure out what emai its attached to.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

164 REPLIES 164
44a6bf2c
Community Member

Hi There, 

I am having the same issue. Can I please also open a support ticket?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Katie,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
0e724af5
Community Member

Hi I'm having the same problem if you could please help.  Thanks!

9afb971b
Community Member

I'm so happy to see this message. No matter what I do, I keep seeing "this phone number" is already in use. The "solutions" on other posts say to contact customer service and I keep going around in circles. I hope you can help.

Thank you,

Rosa

Hi Rosa,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

How do you contact support directly? There are no instructions anywhere on how to do that. It is just an endless loop of chatbot, go to Community etc etc. I am getting the error Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support.  I tried emailing support from an old ticket and it bounced back. Help please. My account is useless until I can get my number verified.

Hi Myka,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble reaching our support. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
b4cbc137
Community Member

How do I create a support ticket? There is no place on the website to create a ticket or speak to a person. Please help. 

Hi Samuel,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
1a6afcce
Community Member

Hi Nikola, I also am having this issue. Please help!

667f76e6
Community Member

Hi,

i have tried several times to verify my phone number but i get a message that my phone number is in use by another account.  where do i submit a support request. the support chat is not really helpful.

i need some help here asap.
thanks

Hi Sylvester,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you with further assistance in completing the phone verification process.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1a6afcce
Community Member

Hi Arjay, I also am having this issue. Please help!

59b96993
Community Member

Hi, I am having the same issue, my mobile is still linked to an old client account so now as a freelancer I cannot apply to any jobs as I cant get the code! Please can you resolve as soon as possible as I am missing out on applications

Hi Matthew,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
691a2a57
Community Member

I have this same problem.

I get this message when trying to verify my phone number (Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support.)

1a6afcce
Community Member

How do I get in touch with your support team? Every time I try this in the chat it isnt helpful. Please help!

15bda49b
Community Member

Hi. Similar issue.

I'm trying to finish my profile but my phone number is still associated with my old and now closed account. Please can you remove the phone number from the associated account so I can finish setting up my new profile? Thank you

You are blocked because you are not allowed to have new account. You will have to reopen your first account.

1a6afcce
Community Member

How do I get in touch with the support team? I'm having the same issue.

Yes I need help I have contacted customer support online and nothing it's talking to a robot. 

1a6afcce
Community Member

Hi Andrea, I also am having this issue. Please help!

c3f91bd6
Community Member

Same issue here. I can't add my phone number and the support chat bot is unhelpful.

Hi Guillaume,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
anaptk
Community Member

I just added a Client profile to post a job, but can't verify my phone number. I am already registered as a freelancer and have an agency too, all of these 3 profiles (freelancer, agency, client) are combined under the same account.
I removed the said number from my agency profile, but the issue remains. I have no other number, and it's making my life difficult. Why can't Upwork link all accounts under the same profile?
1. Is it not allowed to have the same number as a freelancer and a client?
2. If you know any solutions, please let me know.Screenshot 2024-05-05 213927.png

Hi Ana,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
94768ea3
Community Member

I am getting a notification saying my number is tied to another account but I do not have another account. Need help. Will not let me move forward to apply to jobs

I keep trying to message the chat but the bot keeps sending me articles and everyone says I need to reach out to support. How do I do any of this? This is not user friendly at all. Fellow UXers please fix this. 

Hi Gerald,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
83a237cb
Community Member

Tell me where I can get help.  I went around and around with the stupid chat. Cannot find where to submit a ticket. I cannot apply for work until this is fixed.  Where do I go for actual help?

Es mami can hlp you

If you're seeing a message that your phone number is already in use on Upwork and you're unable to resolve it through the chat system, you'll need to contact customer support for further assistance. Here's what you can do to reach actual support:

1. Help Center: Go to Upwork's Help Center and look for articles related to your issue. At the end of these articles, there is often a contact link if your issue was not resolved.

2. Community Forums: Post your issue on the Upwork Community forums. Often, community moderators and other experienced freelancers can provide help or escalate the issue to someone who can help.

3. Social Media: Reach out to Upwork on their official social media channels like Twitter (@UpworkHelp). Companies often have social media teams that can provide support or direct you to the right place.

4. Direct Email or Form: Look for a direct email address or contact form for Upwork support. Depending on the design of the site at the time, they may have a contact form that bypasses the chatbot.

If the chat system isn't connecting you to a representative, ensure you communicate through your responses that you need human support. Sometimes certain keywords or phrases can trigger a transfer to a human agent.

NOTHING works!! This is the most horrible support created! I cannot verify my phone number because it says the number exists.  I've been trying for hours to find an email or get the chat to give me an article with NOTHING!! Get me the correct way to get assistance now

Hi Kasey,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance in completing the phone verification process.

~ Arjay
Upwork
615d2de3
Community Member

Hi, I am also going round and round in circles with the chat bot, I have old accounts linked to my mobile numbers I can no longer access due to the emails + domains expiring. Can someone help me remove these old numbers? 

Hi Ali,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
cc21d3eb
Community Member

I am getting an issue when applying for freelancing jobs with a notification saying that my phone number is in use, when clearly, it's not. Can someone please help me solve this!! I can't get a hold of anyone. 

I get the same error message when I try to set my number for MFA.

Hi Titus,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
dad07b78
Community Member

I am unable to post my job because of this, I don't remember creating an account before but I'd like to close the old account if possible because I don't have access to it anymore.  I'd like to use my phone number on my new account

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths