🐈
» Forums » Support » Poor Customer Service for Freelancers
Page options
dbe03dc2
Community Member

Poor Customer Service for Freelancers

I recently had a client extort me for free work while threatening to report my business to the IRS.

This was after the client had repeatedly been rude to me so I decided to end the contract with him. Afterwards, the client denied my submitted hours and a mediator got involved who I assume did not read any of the messages because I submitted very obvious proof that I had completed the work.

The mediator then ruled that I refund the client for the work and the mediator recommended that I pay the client additional money on top of that out of my own pocket, which is an absolutely insane request.

There was much proof that I had completed all of the work I had claimed to, and the client had approved all of my hours up until I decided I no longer wanted to work with him.

So now the client is trying to force me to pay him additional money and threatening reporting my business to the IRS.

This is absolutely disgusting customer service and I can't believe Upwork would do this to a long-time user of the platform who is a top rated talent with 100% job completion and all 5.0 star ratings.

Is this something I can expect moving forward if I continue to use Upwork? Is this something that can be resolved or is this just typical Upwork?

3 REPLIES 3
d9d0225f
Community Member

Wood work

celgins
Community Member

Many freelancers believe the mediation process is a waste and the mediators are ineffective. But yes--this is typical Upwork activities since Upwork is essentially a third-party.

I'm not sure why the mediator suggested you pay the client additional money, but I would ignore both the mediator and the client in that regard. Further, threatening to report you to the IRS is a bit odd. Most complaints to the IRS involve alleged tax law violations by an individual or a business--not failures to pay.

Exactly. Honestly, this almost sounds criminal in nature if there's potential extortion happening here - that's a law enforcement reponsibility, not the IRS. If that's indeed what's happening here, that sounds incredibly odd. And the mediator (who brought them in? Who were they?) seems appalling.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths