🐈
» Forums » Support » Suspicious client random offer(Likely a scam)
Page options
eyad_beshr
Community Member

Suspicious client random offer(Likely a scam)

i recived a random hourly digital marketing job offer, after acceptign I tried looking for the original job post just to find it removed/ unavalible.

After that I  tried asking the clinet for more details to begin working on the project, he then refused to share any info on Upwork and insisted on getting my email to send some sensitive data. I felt  this is clearly a scam!

The problem is that I already accepted the offer(which has no terms only a discription of the job on the title) and I want to end ot without harming my JSS

What is the best course of action to take

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
iwan-spillebeen
Community Member

The best course of action is to never accept a contract without having spoken to the client about their wants and needs before accepting the contract.  How do you even know if you are a good fit with the client if you just blindly accept a contract?

So the damage is already done, and yes that sounds very much like either a scam or an infultration attempt to install a virus on your PC. 

The only way forward is to end the contract and flag is as a scam.  If the client leaves you a bad review well then there isn't much you can do about that (unless you're top rated plus).

Chalk it up as a lesson learned, do not engage in contracts until after you have spoken to a client and are sure that you can add value, are a good fit and are clear on the requirements of the job.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
iwan-spillebeen
Community Member

The best course of action is to never accept a contract without having spoken to the client about their wants and needs before accepting the contract.  How do you even know if you are a good fit with the client if you just blindly accept a contract?

So the damage is already done, and yes that sounds very much like either a scam or an infultration attempt to install a virus on your PC. 

The only way forward is to end the contract and flag is as a scam.  If the client leaves you a bad review well then there isn't much you can do about that (unless you're top rated plus).

Chalk it up as a lesson learned, do not engage in contracts until after you have spoken to a client and are sure that you can add value, are a good fit and are clear on the requirements of the job.

eyad_beshr
Community Member

Thanks for responding.

And yes you're absolutely right! I don't know what I was thinking at the time.

However things gladly went well. Ended the contracts on good terms with no review

snehaam
Community Member

Just received a similar random offer. The user has stopped replying to my messages. After investigating the user's details, it got more and more evident that the offer was spam. I declined the offer and flagged as spam as mentioned in the comments. Urging other freelancers to beware of such scams.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths