🐈
» Forums » Support » The beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
c3ca1bf0
Community Member

The beneficiary name is mismatched

Hello, today, I am trying to add paypal as an additional payment method.

My full name on paypal account is Cong Dinh, which is the same on upwork account.

But upwork says:

Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.

But I noticed that the verified name on contracts and invoices is Ding Cong. Is this the reason?

If so, this should not be a big deal!

Can you help me add paypal quickly?

Best regards.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 4 business days for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it.

In case you're adding a company account, the team will reach out to complete verification. You'll be asked to provide personal identification as well as one of the following:

• An original bank statement showing the company name, as well as your name
  • A business license showing your name and the company name
  • Articles of Incorporation showing the company name with you as an authorized agent/owner

You can learn more about this in this help article.

If it’s been more than 4 business days and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, you can contact support by: 

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

244 REPLIES 244
640f0081
Community Member

Hello JoanneP,

I added a method on May 9th and I still get the name mismatch on payment method prompt despite the name on  my payment method matching the name on my verified Upwork account. Kindly look into my issue.

0409850b
Community Member

Thank you Andrea.

I will reach out with updates on Wednesday which will make it 4 business days.

9573d3b9
Community Member

Hello Upwork community. My verified name on Upwork is Ahsan Younas. But Recently I have created Bank account named "Ehsan younas". Can I add that Bank account to withdraw my funds from Upwork or I will face any difficulties please advise me on this.

8427d01a
Community Member

Hi andrea please i have the same problem can you help me ?

90309f20
Community Member

I am having the same problem. The bot was not able to help me because it did not know how or where I could share my documentation, per the article https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063768-Bank-Account-or-Payment-Method-Under-Differen.... I have all these forms of documentation, but I am unable to determine how to share them with Upwork. I should get paid in two days but I won't because I can't get this issue resolved.

Hi Deb,

We can see that one of our team members reached out to you via a support ticket. Please check this ticket and follow the instructions they provided there. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
dina-roumeliotou
Community Member

Hello, why can't I change my e mail to receive my payment through paypal? Paypal is connected with my 2nd email. So I also have to change it in here. 

Hi Dina,

Thank you for your message. You do not need to change your email address to add a PayPal payment method with a different email. I have followed up with the team handling your request and I am pleased to inform you that your payment method has been accepted. Please allow 3 days for the payment method to become active. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
gnsres
Community Member

I have updated my name on the billing method to match the beneficiary/profile name I have used on Upwork. I also added another billing method which matched the benefeciary /profile name that I use. However, I am still encountering an issue where it indicates a mismatch, and I am unable to identify the source of the discrepancy. 

Attached here are the photos for your reference

I would appreciate prompt assistance and resolution to this matter.

Hi Earl Arvin,

I saw that you already submitted a support ticket to our team, and one of our agents has updated your ticket with more information. Please check your ticket here and feel free to respond.

~ Joanne
Upwork
15590c41
Community Member

Im getting beneficiary name mismatched error connecting my paypal account to my upwork to get paid. Name, email, phone # and other info is veryt identical on my paypal and upwork. Can someone help me pls Thank you. 

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for reaching out. We've escalated this to the relevant team and can confirm that your beneficiary name has been successfully verified. Your payment method is now undergoing security verification and will become active in three days.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
9dc11cd0
Community Member

everytime i try add my payment method i get beneficiary name mismatched even though they are the same. 
i'm facing this problem since i started on upwork and i couldn't get paid. 
i need someone to help me with this issue, please.
thank you 

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks for reaching out. I can confirm that your beneficiary name has been successfully verified. Your payment method will no undergo security verification and become active within three days. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
2c7852fd
Community Member

He luiggi, 

It is been more than a wee k since I am trying to get this ticket resolved. I was trying to add my payment method for the first time to purchase the Freelancer Plus and I did know that I could not add someone else card. Now i want to complete my identity verification but it is showing my brother's name. Please assist me in this case, thank you 

Hi Rana,

Arjay here stepping in for Luiggi. I've contacted the team handling your case, and one of the team members has sent you an email with more information and instructions on how to resolve the issue with your payment method. 

Please don't hesitate to coordinate with the team; they'll surely assist you accordingly. You may also visit the support ticket linked to your case on this page and in your email. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
baa1fe2e
Community Member

I can't change my profile name. Can someone tell me how to change it so it matches my bank account name? Thank you. 

Hi Sky,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and it appears that your payment method is already accepted. Please update the Tax Information page to activate your fund withdrawal. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hi PradeepH,

Thank you for your response. Yes, the payment method has already been accepted.

However, I would like to ask further questions. My name on Upwork is not my real name; therefore, I want to change it to match my bank account name. Unfortunately, it is always rejected. May I please seek your guidance to help me find a solution to my concern? I am inquiring if it is possible to change my name and use my actual name or if it is permissible to use a business name instead. I am apprehensive that this could potentially impact my job search prospects.

I would appreciate your assistance and advice regarding this matter.

Best regards, 

Sky

Hi Sky,

Thank you for following up. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

I would like to clarify that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile including your name needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable.

~ Nikola
Upwork
88ac1d05
Community Member

Hello, I had updated my name for my account as before when my bank account was added it would state that beneficiary name was mismatched and was told it usually resolves within 48 hours but it has been a week and would like some help so I can add my bank account to my profile. Help Please.

Hi Gabrielle,

Thanks for reaching out. We've escalated this to the relevant team and can confirm that your beneficiary name has been successfully verified. You should be able to start using your payment method. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
20ef0651
Community Member

In Ukraine, in the Paypal system, data on the name and surname are entered in Cyrillic as in passport. In the Upwork system, these data are entered using english letters. Accordingly, they do not match and my method of withdrawing money is not verified, even tho technically my name is the same.

Hi Roman, 

I looked closely at your account and confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. You can expect your payment method to be active and ready for use in three days. Thank you for reaching out!

~ Arjay
Upwork
f4775aab
Community Member

Hello, I can't find any help from chatbot. Chatbot told me to submit documentation for my name change but I don't see this anywhere.

I would like to use my legal married name as my name on Upwork, but use my birth name for my bank account info, is this possible? I can provide the document of the marriage, as well as a government ID for my legal name, and my passport for my birth name, Thank you.

Hi Samantha,

Your name on the payment method must match the registered name on Upwork. You can add the payment method under your birth name and our team will reach out to you for additional information. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hello. I have verified for both names, but did not get contacted about my marriage documentation, so currently my names are both my birth name, which is a bit of an inconvenience since my business is done using my legal name.

Hi Samantha,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
bbbear
Community Member

I'm being told that I have a name mismatch between my profile and widthdrawal account. 

I've checked several times and they are the same name. I've tried adding direct deposit, instant pay, and paypal, and all are saying there is a name mismatch.

I've waited almost a week for a support email and havent seen anything. Please help so I can get paid!

Hi Claire,

It seems like you've removed the payment method already. For security reasons, please wait three days for it to be activated. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
204a78e0
Community Member

I'm facing an urgent 'beneficiary name mismatch' error when trying to set up payment methods. The cause is that my certificate of earnings has my maiden name, which Philippine banks don't typically put on cards. This mismatch is preventing me from getting paid.

Please assist.

Hi Lelanie,

Thanks for reaching out. We've escalated this to the relevant team and can confirm that your beneficiary name has been successfully verified. Your payment method will now undergo security verification and become active in three days. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
janinaalexandra
Community Member

Every time I want to get to the support page from any link it just refreshe my find work page. I tried a different browser, cleared cache and cookies and it still doesn't work. I need help with a name mismatch.

Hi Janina,

Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear you were having trouble contacting support. We've escalated this to the relevant team and can confirm that your beneficiary name has been successfully verified. You should be able to start using your payment method.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
50fb118d
Community Member

hi, i have verified my identity using passport with my legal name, and i am using a nickname in my profile.

when i tried to link paypal, the nickname does not match paypal name (legal name), and upwork deactivated the payment method.

how can i link to paypal, while keeping my nickname in my profile ?

i see in the website a "verified name" feature, but i don't know where to find it 

Hi Ayman,

I took a closer look at your account and confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. Your new payment method will be active and ready for use in three days. Thank you for reaching out!

~ Arjay
Upwork
yishakabraham
Community Member

Hey there,

I got the message "The beneficiary name is mismatched" when adding new payment method in my account but The name correctly matches with my upwork name.

Hi Yishak,

I contacted the team handling the review, and they confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. Your new payment method is now active and ready for use. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
aswinashok3
Community Member

its showing The beneficiary name is mismatched when i added a new bank account, but name are same in my tax information and bank details I provided. Also Im getting 5% WHT reduction even when I provided my PAN and other details.

Hi Aswin,

We checked with our verification team, who confirmed that your name mismatch has been approved. You may log into your account to check. 

As for your concern about being charged with the 5% WHT, we've escalated it to our team. Someone from the team will contact you directly via a support ticket

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths