🐈
» Forums » Support » The beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
c3ca1bf0
Community Member

The beneficiary name is mismatched

Hello, today, I am trying to add paypal as an additional payment method.

My full name on paypal account is Cong Dinh, which is the same on upwork account.

But upwork says:

Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.

But I noticed that the verified name on contracts and invoices is Ding Cong. Is this the reason?

If so, this should not be a big deal!

Can you help me add paypal quickly?

Best regards.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 4 business days for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it.

In case you're adding a company account, the team will reach out to complete verification. You'll be asked to provide personal identification as well as one of the following:

• An original bank statement showing the company name, as well as your name
  • A business license showing your name and the company name
  • Articles of Incorporation showing the company name with you as an authorized agent/owner

You can learn more about this in this help article.

If it’s been more than 4 business days and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, you can contact support by: 

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

458 REPLIES 458

Hi Christopher,

I'm sorry you're having trouble withdrawing funds due to the name mismatch on your accounts. I reached out to the team handling the review and shared your post. One of the support team members confirmed that the name mismatch issue has been cleared. Your new payment method is now active and ready for use. Let us know if you need further assistance; we'll gladly look into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
5033006f
Community Member

Hey Arjay. It appears to have been resolved. Thanks a ton for your assistance and confirmation!

Regards, Chris

e9546eba
Community Member

Hello, 

My name is Rayalain bhatti. I created my account name with this name im verfied user of upwork. Recently I added my bank account to upwork account but im facing issues. As my national Id card and my bank account has name Rayalain on it. No bhatti added. Bhatti is my sur name my cast actually. Now please let me know How I solve this issue. My payment is pending. 

Hi Rayalain,

I am sorry to hear that your payment method was not accepted. Please know that your payment method must match the name of the ID documents submitted during account verification.

I have followed up with the team handling your request and they confirmed that there is a mismatch since the name on your payment method does not match the submitted documents. Please add the payment method that matches your identity document. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
a8353e41
Community Member

Hi Wesam,

I checked, and I do not see this error in your account; however, it looks like you've not filled in the W-8BEN information. The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork.

Without these forms as proof that you are a non-U.S. Person, Upwork will be required to withhold up to 30% of your future earnings on Upwork and send that withholding tax to the IRS. As long as a valid W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely, we are not required to withhold U.S. income tax.

To complete the W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E, you’ll need to complete three cards in the Tax Information section of your settings.

~ Joanne
Upwork
3069782f
Community Member

I I finished my first freelance gig through the site, it went smoothly and I was happy with the service. I went to add a bank account to get my payment and it was saying there was a name mismatch. I added a debit card for quick pay, it said a name mismatch.  I looked at the certificate of earnings PDF and upwork has my last name entirely wrong. My Profile name is correct and it was never changed.  I have the verified identity badge from scanning my Driver's License and taking a selfie.  The name on my Driver's license is correct and is the same as my profile name and bank and card info.

I asked customer support and the chatbot told me my account is suspended. It gave a link to file an appeal. I filled out the form. The next page my appeal was instantly marked SOLVED, an email arrived and told me my account was not suspended and I must have been confused.

So I have three issues here.

1) The system helpdesk chatbot lies about customer suspensions

2) My last name on the Certificate of Earnings is wrong and different than any name that shows under any of my account settings.

3) The name being incorrect is delaying payments. This is not from user error.

How do I flag this so a human can fix the problem?

PS. I am open to freelance work if Upwork needs help figuring out the bugs in their system

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your message. I have followed up with the team handling your account and I am pleased to inform you that the team has updated the correct name on the Certificate of Earnings. Also, they have approved the payment method on your account. Your payment methods will be active after 3 security days from today. Feel free to message us if you have any questions or need further assistance.

- Pradeep

Upwork
wahidxp
Community Member

I have added an AHC bank account, of which Beneficiery name perfectly matches my registered name in Upwork. 4 business day is already passed but it still shows beneficiery name mismatch. How can I solve this?

Hi Walid Dilawar,

I contacted the team handling the review directly, and they confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. Your new payment method is now active and ready for use. Thank you for reaching out!

~ Arjay
Upwork
blazeyalike
Community Member

Need to sort my withdraw payment method via Paypal. Currently showing this message and don't know why since I have the same name registered on both platforms:  The beneficiary name is mismatched.

Please help

Hi Blaz, 

The appropriate team has reviewed your case and confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. Your new payment method is now active and ready for use. Thank you for reaching out!

~ Arjay
Upwork
244b6e6c
Community Member

I applied for a new payment method a week ago and seemingly no progress has been made. There is a mismatch between the beneficiary name on my bank account and my Upwork account (the letter "Ö" has been changed to an O), but I have been told that this will be properly reviewed. But, again, no progress has been made.

Can someone please let me know how the verification process is going because so far I haven't been told anything.

P.S: Only human answers. Your Chatbot is driving me insane.

Hello Carl,

Thanks for reaching out. I would like to inform you that I have forwarded your report to the appropriate team, and your beneficiary name should now be verified. Your newly added payment method should become active.

I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with chatbot. We are continuously striving to enhance our services, and we truly value your feedback. I will share your report with our team for further review.

~Ivy
Upwork

Thank you!

You are most welcome, Carl. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us again should you have other questions or concerns that we can help you with. Take care!

~Ivy
Upwork
Community Member

My name is Anietie Umoren, a freelancer on the platform. I recently got a notification that my payment method has been deactivated due to mismatch on the name on the payment and the name on my upwork account. 

I've gone through my details on my payment method and my upwork account and the names are the same. The two carry my name as Anietie Umoren.

Kindly look into this issue in order to resolving it. Thank you.

Hi Anietie,

Thanks for reaching out. We've escalated this to the relevant team and can confirm that your beneficiary name has been successfully verified. You should be able to start using your payment method.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
a912f5d6
Community Member

Hello,

I added my bank account as a way to get paid. First, my account on Upwork was Rou Moussa (while my name on my bank account is Roula Moussa), so, I updated my name on Upwork to Roula Moussa (to match my name on my bank account), yet, I am still getting this issue "The beneficiary name is mismatched".

Please check attached screenshot to better understand the issue and help me resolve it as I am very confused.

Thank you,

a912f5d6_0-1717579350069.png

Hello Roula,

Thanks for reaching out. We've escalated this to the relevant team and can confirm that your beneficiary name has been successfully verified. Your newly added payment method will be activated after the 3-day security period. You can learn more about withdrawal fees and timing for the Wire Transfer payment method here.

Additionally, I noticed that you're new to Upwork. To help you kickstart your journey, I recommend exploring the available learning paths in the Academy section.

~Ivy
Upwork
f07b0d14
Community Member

Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.
Please visit our FAQ page for additional information

Kindly assist me with the above urgently please.
My profile name and name on bank account is EXACTLY the same, what do you need from me in order to get this sorted please.
Regards
Marosel Nel

Hello Marosel,

I am sorry to learn about the name mismatched error you encountered when adding your payment method. Please know that the team has contacted you directly via a support ticket to further assist you. Please refer to your ticket and don't hesitate to follow up with the team if you have questions.

~Ivy
Upwork

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME
ISSUE NOT SORTED AND THIS IS GETTING REALLY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!
I JUST REALLY NEED THE MONEY AT THE MOMENT!!!!!!!!!

Hi Marosel,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
8efe6512
Community Member

Dear support team, it's been 48hrs and my name is still mismatched after adding geegpay as withdrawal method. I have checked the two name and I don't know how they are mismatched but my geegpay account bears Agwuncha Favour like wise the name that appear on my profile.

So, I don't know where the mismatch is coming from. Please I need urgent help in approval as fast as possible.

Hi Agwuncha,

We can see that you already have an open ticket regarding this issue. One of our agents will update your ticket and assist you further.

~ Joanne
Upwork
8bdf5308
Community Member

Hi, I'm having problems when I want to make a withdrawal using the get paid feature.
The notification says something like this.

"Payment method verification in progress
Please visit our FAQ page for additional information."

After I checked, it turned out that the ID card I uploaded to verify my account had different letters in the name than the one I used on my Upwork account.

The letter should be "O", but on the driving license card I used for verification it says "U".
I want to update my driving license card to a new one, which uses the correct letters. How can I do it?

Hi Moh,

I have reviewed your account and I am pleased to inform you that your payment methods have been successfully accepted. They will be active and available for initiating fund withdrawals after 3 days.

- Pradeep

Upwork
fed01cba
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork.

Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

Hi Omar,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and it appears that your payment method is already accepted. It will be active and available to initiate a fund withdrawal after 3 days. Please update your tax identification number on the Tax Information page to activate your withdrawal. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
834eb259
Community Member

Hello Upwork Support,

I am experiencing an issue with registering my bank account for payments. My Upwork account is under my name, K. Park, but the bank account I wish to use is a company account. The company is 100% owned by me, and my name is listed on the English version of the Certificate of Business Registration.

I believe that providing the Certificate of Business Registration to Upwork might help resolve this situation. Could you please guide me on the steps I need to take or any documents I need to submit to resolve this issue?

Thank you for your assistance.

Community Member

Hi, My last name in my. profile name here on upwork has "ñ", same goes with my Goverment ID's. And I was trying to add a withdrawal method for local bank and by adding it, My account name should match my profile name and goverment ID's. However, upwork wouldn't allow me or it's not allowed to put letter "ñ" so i tried "n" and it's mismatched simple because it's not "ñ". but how can I be able to match my name if "ñ" is not allowed? please advice and help me. 

Hi Denise,

Thank you for your message. I have followed up with the team handling your request and I am pleased to inform you that your payment method has been accepted now. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

- Pradeep

Upwork
kelvin2710
Community Member

I tried to add my United State account a long time ago (more than 1 year) to get Paid directly to this account. However in the moment of the creation of this account in the upwork Withdrawal methods, this was not accepted because has a character different in my name (becuase of my middle name initial), The status is now "Payment method verification in progress" but it has a lot of time in this status and I still am not able to get paid with this account. I want to activate this Withdrawal method. Please I would love any help in this regard. Thanks in advance.

Hi Kelvin,

Thanks for reaching out. We've escalated this to the relevant team and can confirm that your beneficiary name has been successfully verified. You should be able to start using your payment method.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
jawand
Community Member

I have my corporation and it has a bank account, but since its in my corporation name. I see error on upwork that the name does not match. I need help adding my business bank account with upwork.

Thanks!!

4dd95322
Community Member

Hello!
I'm trying to add a new payment method but the site tells me that the name of the Account Holder I entered does not match the name in my Upwork account.

I found out that the mistake was in my account and corrected the name, but I still can't add a payment method. How do I fix this?

Hi Nikita,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ervalex
Community Member

I checked my Certificate of Earnings.  There is a comma between my first and middle names and this may be causing the issue with not being able to add any payment methods to my account.  Please assist.

Hi Montie,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths