🐈
» Forums » Support » The beneficiary name is mismatched.
Page options
18d977ae
Community Member

The beneficiary name is mismatched.

Added my bank as a new payment method and I have been told that the beneficiary name is incorrect. How do I fix this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michael,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

Update 05/30: This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

908 REPLIES 908

Hi Neha,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further.

Kindly refer to this help article as well to check what name formats should be followed when setting up your profile.

~ AJ
Upwork
93c07f24
Community Member

Hello there I get a warning that my card information and upwork information do not match. I cannot type Turkish characters when entering my card information. "ğ" is Turkish character.

Hi Engin,

I've followed up with the relevant team and can confirm that you should no longer see the mismatch on your end. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
remonatef
Community Member

Hello,

I have a request to change my upwork verified name to english as i wrote it in arabic to match my id during verification part , but paypal already verified with an english name.. could you please help me in that ? I want to convert it to english to match with paypal.

Thanks

Hi Remon,

I can confirm that you should no longer have a name mismatch on your payment method. Note that you may still need to fill out the W-8BEN Form, to validate that you're not a U.S taxpayer. Feel free to check out this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
c1906890
Community Member

My verified name has a comma in it. A comma is not accepted by your form. Does that mean i cant acutally get the money that I earn?

Hi James,

Thank you for your message. I am pleased to inform you that your payment methods are approved and will be active in 3 days.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
dzintars2
Community Member

Hi, i have the same problem.

I have added my company bank account as payment method, but got an error - The beneficiary name is mismatched

Hi Dzintars,

Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

~ Nikola
Upwork
cliocoach
Community Member

Hi, I have various payments pending (since beginning of May) and they are not going through as it says ´´name is mismatched´´ to my bank account. As far as I can see all my details are correct. Please help me so that I can collect my payment for my finished contracts that are pending.

Hi Cliodhna,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am pleased to inform you that your payment method is accepted and will be active for 3 days.

~ Arjay
Upwork
imibha
Community Member

Hi, My name is Muhammad Imran and has recently verified my account!
Last day, I added Local Bank Transfer as a Payment method and mistakenly wrote Account details of one of my friend but the moment i get know about the policy of Upwork that the name should be same on both Upwork and Bank account, I removed that Bank from my account but now I've seen a notification that is saying
"Some of your services are temporarily on hold. We would love to get you up and running again on Upwork. But first, we need you to take a few minutes to verify your identity. Click “Get Started” below to begin or “Learn More” for details", and when i click on get started to verify my account, I saw that the name for verification is of my Friend whose Bank account was used to link and removed also.
I don't know why this happen, please help!

Hi Imran,

We truly appreciate you reaching out to us. I have checked your account and it looks like there's already a support ticket created with your concern. I highly suggest you communicate with our team through that ticket for updates and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
adamsamoy
Community Member

Good Day,

I recently got married but have not updated my IDs as yet. Would upwork allow me to present my marriage certificate to prove that the upwork account holder and bank account holder are the same people? My payment method is being rejected due to the difference in names. 

Please help.

Hi Amoy,

Thank you for your message.  I see that the team has already notified you of our decision. Feel free to reply to the same notification for further assistance.    

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

The notification doesn't answer the question.

Hi Amoy,

Thank you for following up. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thanks Nikola, 

They reached out. I'm trying to upload my marriage certificate but the platform says the issue date needs to be newer than 6 months. Is it okay to attach another document like a tax document or something? Or is there a way to increase the issue date limit?

obegendi
Community Member

Hello,

I recently added a new payment method. On a US bank account, my name contains a Turkish "ğ" character. Upwork not accept these characters. Can you help about correct that problem. 

Thank you.

Hi orhun,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

~ Nikola
Upwork
sheriff_y
Community Member

Hello, Please it's been more than 48hours but I haven't gotten any support help regarding my bank account name mismatch. 
Please help

Hi Sheriff,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked but I don't see a name mismatch notification on your end. Could you please confirm if you need further assistance? 

~ Nikola
Upwork

I haven't received any notification, but my wire transfer is inactive, so I don't know what I need to do to make it active. Initially I received a message talking about mismatch of name when I added the bank transfer account information

Hi Sheriff,

I have checked your account and I can see that name mismatched has been approved. However, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. 

You will only need to provide your legal name and address on the W-8BEN form, and once you have filed it, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately. You can submit your Form W-8BEN by going to Settings > Tax Information. Click the pencil icon next to W-8BEN, fill in your information and Save, then that's it!

~ Arjay
Upwork
sheriff_y
Community Member

Thank you very much.

pd70
Community Member

Hi I am facing this issue and am unable to withdraw payment. 

Hi Hrishikesh,

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account. Please allow 48 hours for our team to review your name mismatch. They'll reach out to you directly if they need any additional information from you.

~ Nikola
Upwork
ccf00d9f
Community Member

I'm getting the following notification: "Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account". My local bank account that I've added as payment method is in the name of my company not my actual name.

Hi Hassan,

Thank you for your message. I will have our support team contact you for further assistance.          

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
gorgossimion
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I've added new wire transfer payment method to my agency account and got the following error: Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account. 

This status is there for 8 days. Can I get an update with current status somehow?

Thank you!

Hi Simion,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your concern with the team and your name mismatch is now approved. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
lazyboynillkabbo
Community Member

Hello,

My Upwork account name and my wise account name both are the same. But when I try to add my wise account in get paid option it shows "Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.". I can't find the problem. 

I've attached a screenshot.

Please help me 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mohammad,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

~ Nikola
Upwork

It's 48 hours gone.  Still my problem isn't solved.

Hi Mohammad,

I can confirm that you should no longer see a name mismatch on your end. Please, don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Luiggi R .

Thanks for your feedback. Name mismatch problem is solved but my wise bank account status shows inactive. 

Can you please tell me why it's showing inactive ?

Thanks in advance.

kursadcifteci
Community Member

I have Turkish characters in my bank account name, but I can't use Turkish characters in my upwork name and payment method page. How can we solve this?

Hi Kursad,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I reached out to the team handling your case and your name mismatch is not approved. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
rafiahmed20413
Community Member

Hi,

Today I set up a new payment method for my Upwork account. However, it's deactivated for a beneficiary name mismatch but the account I added it's mine. Please help me.

Thanks 

Hi Rafi,

Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths