🐈
» Forums » Support » UK Location Verification - Unable to do
Page options
alilondon
Community Member

UK Location Verification - Unable to do

Hello, I have recently moved to the UK. I have a biometric residence permit but I do not have a British passport.

When I tried to upload my BRP, the following text is displayed:

"It looks like you uploaded an unsupported type of ID.Please try again with an image of your state issued U.K. driving licence or British passport."

How could I overcome this and successfully get my ID verified?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi TAI,

It looks like you're trying to apply to UK-only job posts. In order to apply for these, you must verify your location. If you encounter any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by clicking the 'Chat with Upwork' button on the Contact Support page.

If you'd prefer not to verify your location at this time, that's ok! Switch the feed you're looking at to My Feed and you can search and apply to job posts that are Worldwide.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

395 REPLIES 395
f1063cb2
Community Member

I am a resident of the UK, citizen of a different European (EEA) country. You refused multiple times my proof of address because "Your ID document location does not match with your profile location"
I am living in the UK, have a permanent address here, I am registered freelancer with the HMRC and even submit already my UTR, which I could not have without UK address, registration with HMRC and the right to live and work in the UK.
It is a perfectly normal situation for tens of thousands UK residents to not have any photo ID issued in the UK.
By the law, nobody in the UK has to have any photo ID. I cannot have any photo ID issued in the UK, because I am not British. A driving license is not a mandatory ID. A driving license for non-drivers does not exist in this country.
My national identity card from a different country and my passport from a different country is perfectly legal proof of my identity.
Refusing my multiple bank statements/utility bills with my address, not older than 6 months means, you are pushing me beyond the law valid in the UK. It is not my duty to have a UK issued ID.

Please explain why my bank statement from 6 months ago issued by one of the well known banks with my full name and full address was refused? Why my council bills with my full address were refused? They are perfectly acceptable anywhere in the UK and perfectly matching the description you provided.
Thank you.

Hi Zuza,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
18b45637
Community Member

Even I'm having trouble with this. UK BRP has DOB on the back side which is OBVIOUS. But upwork doesn't provide uploading both the sides. Then how on the earth can I verify DOB from UK BRP??

The chatbot is going in circles and not allowing to contact support. It's like intentionally stopping people from verification 🙄

Hi Amit,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
39ff2567
Community Member

Verification code dont come to me phone even i waiting a long time , This is my UK number and i am sure nothing wrong with my phone . How can i verify my account?

Hi Salar,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
l_nabih
Community Member

Hi

I've uploaded my bank statement as it is provided by the bank but for some reason, it's not been accepted . 

I am french and live in the uk and this is the only thing I have that I can upload with a uk adress since my passport is french. 

Please can someone sort this out or tell mw how to go about this?

Thanks

Hi Leila,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
78248ae2
Community Member

Hello, I am trying to apply for a job, but before I do it asks me to verify my identity by use a code sent to my phone. The code enver arrives, and when I ask for it to send again, it gives me the following message:

You attempted to change your PIN too many times.

It does not give me any option to fix this, and I tried to chat to someoene on the chat support, but it kept going in an endless bot circle, not being able to speak to an actual person.

Thanks

Hi Karim,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
9f98acbb
Community Member

hi, upwork blocked my profile and asked for my id again, forcing me to change my real location (london) to the one where I was born (my id is from my native country)

does anyone know how do I change back my location? preferably without being blocked again

Hi Simona,

Generally, your profile location should match your physical location. But we understand that sometimes, you may reside in one country with a different ID from another. If so, we'll introduce a third step to verify your location.

However, it appears that you've been in contact with the team about this case, and a couple of support tickets were created. I've raised another one here to give your concern the attention it deserves. One of the team members will contact you on that ticket and email you with more information and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
085b5f2a
Community Member

Hi , i keep getting my location verifation denied, provided bank statements in pdf or image it keeps getting declined. Can someone help please?

why can't i open a ticket for this?

Hi Leonard,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble while completing your location verification. I see that one of our team members has already reached you via a support ticket to assist you with the same issue. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork

can you open a new ticket regarding these issue, please?

085b5f2a
Community Member

Hi Pradeep, 

Thanks for coming backt to me, the tickets you are refering to are related to  different issues that has since then been resolved. Now it is the process of location confirmation that is causing issues. I provided a legit bank statement pdf multiple times, as well as the screenshot of it , either way it gets declined

Hi Leonard,

Thank you for clarifying and sorry you're having trouble with the verification process. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
085b5f2a
Community Member

thanks Luiggi

I have been stuck for 4 days now trying to submit documentation to confirm my location. 
I opened a ticket yesterday regarding this issue. Today i am having a customer support agent telling me the document is 6 month outdated which is totally false as the bank statement issued is dated from 2 days ago. Which means this agent did not even took the time to review document and answered me an irrelevant template email .
What kind of service is this?

Hi Leonard,

I shared your report with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
085b5f2a
Community Member

time to get this solved is insane Nikola. Anythig you can do to make this solved faster?

085b5f2a
Community Member

?

085b5f2a
Community Member

why have you marked my last post as spam. this is a legit complaint

chrisf82
Community Member

Hello 🙂

My location verification failed despite having my profile address identical to the address on the utility bill I uploaded.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thank you!

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for reaching out. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
d3d502dc
Community Member

Hello, my name is Manuel, first of all I cannot find the way to contact a support team, the chatbot doesn´t help.
I would like someone to help me validate my residence on the platform, I am a spanish passport holder residing in the United Kingdom under the european settle status, under this status there is no physical document in the UK, the way to know if I am under this european settle status is through the government website by entering the codes that the GOV.UK provide, in the UK doesn´t exist ID cards and I don´t have a drive license that is very common when you live in London, I sent the codes to upwork and my work payslips and Upwork does not accept them, can someone help me how I could validate the location verification please?

thank you

Hi Manuel,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
72249c12
Community Member

Hello all, 

I've been trying to verify my location for a while, I had uploaded documents from the accepted list to verify my location but it isn't working, the documents have my company name on them not my own, I had also attached documents to prove the company is mine which didn't work. the company itself is an agency on upwork and ill be operating under it, I'm wondering what's the issue with that process? can this be moved to a support ticket to maybe manually provide all necessary docs to get this resolved ? 

Many thanks 

First of all, log out of your account clean your browser cash, and try again. If it is not working otherwise uninstall your apps and again install and try. I hope it will be working. Thank you!

Hi Ahmad,

I'm sorry you're having trouble completing the verification process. Could you please let us know if you're experiencing any errors whenever you try uploading the required documents? You can also try clearing your browser cache and cookies or use a different browser. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
dfa6abd1
Community Member

Every time I apply for a job and press to either text or call with my phone number I get the message ''You attempted to change your phone number too many times''

Can someone from support take a look at my account to see what is going wrong please?

Hi Joe,  

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
be18aaea
Community Member

Hello, 

I am from the Netherlands but I live in England. I have a Dutch passport.

When trying to verify my ID, I received the message that my address must match the country on my ID. But I don't live there.

Although I have a Dutch passport, I don't live in the Netherlands. I live in England and my phone number (which has already been verified) is English.

I have a settled status (indefinite leave to remain in the UK) so I am allowed to work here and I don't need a visa. I have been living in the UK for 12 years already.

What to do?

Thanks!

Hi Daphne,

I submitted a follow-up to the team handling the review of your account. One of the team members will reach out with more information and further assistance to resolve the issue with your location verification. Feel free to coordinate with the team; they'll gladly assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
be18aaea
Community Member

Thanks!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths