🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: payment issue
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226
ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Eyasu,

I'm sorry to hear that your payment wasn't going through. Generally, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you're attempting on your card. Kindly contact your card-issuing bank to inquire about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists afterward, we'll be happy to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
d62b07d5
Community Member

I'm sorry about my payments but I promise I will pay as soon as I promise 

5bdd03a6
Community Member

I've just bought a project. My credit card was charged the amount. But Upwork says the payment isn't processed.

There is no way to reach a human agent in the support chat. My credit card has been charged, but Upwork said the payment has failed. 

Can someone help?!

How do I reach reach support?!!

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ahmed,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon on this page to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
5bdd03a6
Community Member

My card has been charged for a project that I've just bought. But Upwork said the payment hasn't been processed. Help please!

370d9527
Community Member

You should try to open a  online checking account WestStein, it won’t take you much time, but you will like the result. I also opened such a card for myself and am using this service, so far everything is fine. Never had any problems.

06888adb
Community Member

Hi there,

I have been trying to fund a new milestone in my project, using the same card as always on Upwork. Payment is not going through (actually, it goes through, the money is taken from my account, then it is reverted into my account within a minute).

The same message keeps popping up on my screen: "Sorry we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one". My freelancer is waiting for me to fund this milestone and my project is on hold in the meantime. I have called the Support who said they would revert to me by email within 24 hours. It's been 5 days now and it doesn't even appear in "My Requests". Can anyone please help? Thanks

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Here are some steps you can take to address this situation:

1. Check Card Details:

• Ensure that the card details you entered are accurate. Double-check the card number, expiration date, CVV, and billing address.
  2. Verify Sufficient Funds:

• Make sure there are sufficient funds in the linked bank account or credit card. If the initial charge is being reverted, it could indicate an issue with the account balance.
  3. Contact Your Bank:

• Reach out to your bank to confirm that there are no restrictions on your card or any issues that might be causing the payment to fail.
  4. Use an Alternative Payment Method:

• If possible, consider using an alternative payment method such as another card or PayPal.
  5. Upwork Support Follow-Up:

• Continue following up with Upwork support. If it has been more than the promised 24 hours, you may want to send a follow-up message to remind them of your issue. You can do this through Upwork's Help Center or directly through your Upwork account.
  6. Try a Different Browser or Device:

• Sometimes, browser or device issues can impact payment processing. Try using a different browser or device to see if the problem persists.
  7. Clear Browser Cache:

• Clear your browser cache and cookies. Sometimes, stored data can cause issues with payment processing.
  8. Temporary Payment Method:

• Consider adding a temporary payment method, such as a different credit card, to see if you can successfully fund the milestone using that method.

Remember, your primary point of contact for account and payment-related issues on Upwork is the Upwork support team. If the problem persists, they will be able to investigate the issue further and provide assistance. It's essential to keep them informed of your situation through the appropriate channels provided by Upwork's support system.

Hi Maxime,

I can see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern and one of our team members is already assisting you. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for your response, however I've been on the phone to Upwork twice about this, I managed to get a request number from the second person I spoke to (44551220) but no request is showing on the "My Requests" section. I see there are many people experiencing the same issue, let's hope it can be fixed quickly as my freelancer is waiting for payment to finish this project!

Max

Hi Maxime,

I checked your account, and the appropriate team is already handling it. Please allow them time to review your case. They will notify you accordingly. I appreciate your patience!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Do you have any updates?

83a6bcec
Community Member

So, I have been trying to hire a freelancer today. I thought making the payment would be the easiest part, but what a joke. My day—and the freelancer's tomorrow—is totally ruined because of a simple PAYMENT issue. I've tried using four different cards, different banks, PayPal, and altered the billing address in every possible way. I've switched browsers, changed computers, and I still don't know what to do next. The freelancer is waiting for the contract to start the project.

Upwork, perhaps you could hire a developer from your platform to fix this problem?

This is really disappointing

Ticket nr #44556230

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Steven,

We understand the urgency of your concern, and I'm sorry if you're having trouble processing payments for your talents. In general, this happens when the transactions you're attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. We recommend contacting your card-issuing bank for more information about the charge decline.

However, I can also see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern, and it's currently being reviewed. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up and assist you further. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
85cb6ad2
Community Member

Hi,

I am a new client on upwork and added my credit card details on upwork. But while sending offer to the freelancer, it shows error to add some other card. I have checked with the credit card customer care as well but they informed its the issue with the upwork platform and not from their end. Also my name, card details and adress are all correct but still facing the issue. Please help in priority. 

Regards,

Anandan Ramesh

Hi Anandan,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
83a6bcec
Community Member

I don't think it's about the bank; I called them and they didn't see anything. The rejection comes from Upwork.

It's strange that I can make purchases from any site or store on the internet, but not from Upwork

Ticket nr #44556230

c26a1c2a
Community Member

Hello! Can I get assistance from a moderator to resolve my issue? We are in our first two weeks of using Upwork as a client company, and things have been going smoothly for about a week. Company and tax verifications are complete. Freelancer contracts and payments have been working fine. However, starting today, we are having problems completing payments. We have active contracts with freelancers who are expecting payments for completed work. Sometimesit seems that we can execute the payments, but each and every time they are then being reversed by Upwork. Sometimes we get the error "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support." Our banks/cards confirm that it is not a decline on their side, but that the charge is approved and then immediate reversed on Upwork's side. I tried contacting support on the phone and discussed the urgency to pay freelancers for completed work, but they could not provide any detailed update. I don't know if there is a financial hold or any other issue. The only feedback provided was that "a team" was reviewing the issue and would contact us via email. This is very urgent, so I would be grateful for assistance from a moderator here to share this report with the support team and have an agent reach out to me using a support ticket so that we can have clear steps to speedy resolution. Thank you!

Thank you to whichever moderator flagged my issue – I just receive a support ticket.

Do you have any updates?

e475386e
Community Member

Hello,

I recieved a direct contract and whenever i process with my payment i get the below message

We are sorry! We are experiencing a technical problem and cannot process your request right now. Please try again in a minute.

e475386e_0-1703102529822.png

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Omar,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with more information and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Do you have any updates?

a57b85ee
Community Member

Hello,

I was trying to make the payment using my card, but it's not working.

Please check this issue and let me know.

Thank you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths