🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Free Connects
Page options
Senyo A Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

i am not able to pay for jobs with my visa card from Ghana. The final confirm and pay button remains grey and doesnt allow for payment to be made.

any help?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea

View solution in original post

646 REPLIES 646
Carl V Community Member

I recently joined the Upwork to hire for a project but Upwork don't allow to add payment method and show this messgage . Screenshot attached.

Md Sabbir A Community Member

Strange, that should not have happened

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Carl,

Could you please try again after clearing your cache and cookies or using a different browser? If the issue persists, please let us know. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Ruby A Community Member

Unable to setup PayPal

I received this error:

We are sorry but we cannot setup PayPal as your payment method because it is not verified. Please verify your PayPal account or add a payment card.

According to the instructions provided by UpWork:

In order to add a PayPal Account:

• Your PayPal account must be verified, active, and in good standing (checked)
  • You must have an active Billing Agreement with Upwork — this billing agreement is signed as part of the add PayPal flow on Upwork (???)
  • Your PayPal account must not be a student account (checked)
  • Your PayPal account must be set up with a primary and back-up payment method (No such options in PayPal to set up with primary and back-up payment methods; the only option is to setup a credit card or bank as an account preferred method which I did).

I already checked my PayPal account and verified and confirmed the bank details but it's still giving me the same error in Upwork when selecting Paypal as billing payment method. .

Please help

rubyalmario_0-1717655469570.png

Ivygail J Moderator

Hi Ruby,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I see that you tried adding your PayPal account as your billing method, but you received an error saying that your PayPal account is not verified. I will be happy to help.

If you see a gold emblem indicating that your PayPal account is "PayPal Verified" you may try adding it as a billing method again. Here is a screenshot for reference. However, before doing so, I recommend clearing your cache and cookies first or using a different browser. You may want to check this helpful article about adding PayPal for more information. 

If you do not see the "PayPal Verified" badge, I encourage you to reach out to PayPal support for further assistance.

~Ivy
Ng C Community Member

Hi Team Upwork,

I was hire a freelancer and he sent me a contract, after payment were made my card being charged but the contract still under pending. Please kindly assist me on this isseus. Thank you.

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Ng C,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing with your contract status after making payment. I checked the payment you are referring to and can confirm that your transaction was declined. Due to this, the contract was not created. If you are already charged, you can reach out to the card issuing bank for further clarification. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance. 

- Pradeep

Sergiy H Community Member

I can’t pay for a freelancer’s work with my card, I keep getting the error “Sorry, we couldn’t charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support.”  I am entering all the data correctly. In the payment field, a fee is charged from my card, but after a short period of time the money is returned, I contacted the bank, they said that the problem is on your side. The service withdraws money but then returns it.

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Sergiy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Federico G Community Member

no matter the payment method, it fails. I already tried paypal and 2 different cards, but nothing.
I cant talk to support and the bank says its all good on their hand. 
Is this the upwork average experience?

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Federico,

I'm sorry for any frustration this may have caused you. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Lebo M Community Member

I tried everything I possibly could and troubleshooted every possibly but still no solution.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Nikola S Moderator

Hi Lebo,

I will be happy to help. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Alex C Community Member

I'm having the same problem. AMEX credit card was approved for a milestone payment. When I closed out the contract I added a bonus and it was decline. Called AMEX and they confirmed that they are approving the transaction, but Upwork is reversing the charge. Why is this happening? The problem is not with my credit card.

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry to learn you are having trouble with your billing method. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Amelie B Community Member

Hello Dear I can't hire freelancer , I got below error Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support. Although , My card is under my name and everything is ok Please help me and let me know what should i do to fix the problem?

Huma A Community Member

"I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble hiring a freelancer due to a payment issue. It sounds like there's a problem with the billing method you've selected. A few things you can try:

1. Verify that your credit/debit card information is entered correctly. Double-check the card number, expiration date, and CVV code to ensure there are no typos.

2. Contact your card issuer to make sure there are no holds, blocks, or other issues with the card. Sometimes banks will flag certain transactions as suspicious and block them. Getting the card cleared for the transaction may resolve the problem.

3. Try using a different payment method, such as a different card, PayPal, or an online payment service like Stripe or Skrill. This will help determine if the issue is specific to the card you originally tried to use.

4. If you're still unable to complete the payment, reach out to the freelancing platform's customer support team. They should be able to investigate the issue further and provide additional guidance on how to successfully hire a freelancer on their site.

Let me know if you have any other questions! I'm happy to try and help you find a solution."

Amelie B Community Member

Thank you, I need to upwork support check this problem
Because everything ok and need their check 

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Amelie,

I'm sorry you're having trouble using your billing method. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Diogo S Community Member

I cannot add my payment card, perhaps because the card name contains the é character, which is not supported by the Upwork first name field. All other billing details are exact matches of the card.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Adarsh K Community Member

I am sorry, but is this query for some other freelancer platform? I am afraid that someone can help you with that. Feel Free to ask anything related to Upwork

Diogo S Community Member

Sorry, I meant Upwork - Fiverr works well with the same card attempted to be used.

Diogo S Community Member

My bad, I meant Upwork - Fiverr works ok with this card.
Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Diogo,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble while adding a billing method. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Safa H Community Member

Subject: Assistance Needed with Client Payment Verification

Hi there,

Thank you for informing me about the recent changes to Upwork's policy.

I have a client who is currently not familiar with Upwork, and I am
assisting him with the process. We intend to formalize our working
relationship through Upwork. However, I am encountering an issue with the
payment verification process. Despite completing all the necessary
requirements on Upwork, I am unable to get the payment card verified. I
have been attempting this daily for the past week without success.

I would greatly appreciate your assistance in resolving this matter. Your
support in facilitating the payment verification would be immensely helpful.

Thank you for your attention to this issue.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths