🐈
» Forums » Support » Can't hire freelancer
Page options
3e71d05b
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

i am not able to pay for jobs with my visa card from Ghana. The final confirm and pay button remains grey and doesnt allow for payment to be made.

any help?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

199 REPLIES 199

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry to learn you are having trouble with your billing method. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ffe9c6c2
Community Member

Hello Dear I can't hire freelancer , I got below error Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support. Although , My card is under my name and everything is ok Please help me and let me know what should i do to fix the problem?

"I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble hiring a freelancer due to a payment issue. It sounds like there's a problem with the billing method you've selected. A few things you can try:

1. Verify that your credit/debit card information is entered correctly. Double-check the card number, expiration date, and CVV code to ensure there are no typos.

2. Contact your card issuer to make sure there are no holds, blocks, or other issues with the card. Sometimes banks will flag certain transactions as suspicious and block them. Getting the card cleared for the transaction may resolve the problem.

3. Try using a different payment method, such as a different card, PayPal, or an online payment service like Stripe or Skrill. This will help determine if the issue is specific to the card you originally tried to use.

4. If you're still unable to complete the payment, reach out to the freelancing platform's customer support team. They should be able to investigate the issue further and provide additional guidance on how to successfully hire a freelancer on their site.

Let me know if you have any other questions! I'm happy to try and help you find a solution."

Thank you, I need to upwork support check this problem
Because everything ok and need their check 

Hi Amelie,

I'm sorry you're having trouble using your billing method. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
25237e35
Community Member

I cannot add my payment card, perhaps because the card name contains the é character, which is not supported by the Upwork first name field. All other billing details are exact matches of the card.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I am sorry, but is this query for some other freelancer platform? I am afraid that someone can help you with that. Feel Free to ask anything related to Upwork

Sorry, I meant Upwork - Fiverr works well with the same card attempted to be used.

My bad, I meant Upwork - Fiverr works ok with this card.

Hi Diogo,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble while adding a billing method. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
28752aa2
Community Member

Subject: Assistance Needed with Client Payment Verification

Hi there,

Thank you for informing me about the recent changes to Upwork's policy.

I have a client who is currently not familiar with Upwork, and I am
assisting him with the process. We intend to formalize our working
relationship through Upwork. However, I am encountering an issue with the
payment verification process. Despite completing all the necessary
requirements on Upwork, I am unable to get the payment card verified. I
have been attempting this daily for the past week without success.

I would greatly appreciate your assistance in resolving this matter. Your
support in facilitating the payment verification would be immensely helpful.

Thank you for your attention to this issue.

Hi Safa,

I am sorry to hear about the inconvenience you experienced while verifying the client's billing method. I will be happy to guide you through this process.

Since the issue is related to the client's account, I can't access it from this post. Therefore, I recommend you to encourage the account holder to contact us directly. By doing so, we will be able to check the exact issue faced by them on the account and provide them with the necessary assistance to address it.

- Pradeep

Upwork
b2b89962
Community Member

Tried all payment options. Checked with the bank and there are no transactions declined. The issue seems to be with upwork. Need help resolving this. Blocked on payment. 

Hi Aadhavan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
48b35614
Community Member

Spoiler
I am trying to hire a freelancer and I have tried two methods of payment and they did not go through on Upwork. It asked me to contact support meanwhile my card has been debited.

Hi Ugochukwu,

I checked your account and it appears that a card has been successfully linked to your Upwork account. Should you require further support or have any additional queries, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

- Pradeep

- Pradeep

Upwork
93285ddc
Community Member

I recently hire a freelandcer but I cannot pay him as I keeo getting an error message from upwork where it failes to add my funds to the job post.

Hi Francisco,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Perfect.

kehram
Community Member

I am encountering an issue with hiring a new freelancer. The cards I am attempting to use have been previously utilized on Upwork. But now they are being rejected.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hello Hasibul,

I see that you recently raised a support ticket regarding your concern. One of our agents has contacted you with more information and to continue assisting. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
eb06cb0f
Community Member

Since last week, I've been unable to hire a freelancer. Whenever I try to process the payment, the platform indicates there's an issue and advises me to contact support.

Unfortunately, support has been no help. I've been stuck with this problem for a week now and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue.

What do you recomend I should do?

Screenshot-2024-06-07-at-10.02.12 AM.png

Have you already tried a different payment method?

Yes, even throught paypal and it did not work.

Did support provide you with what was causing the error?  You can try logging in via incognito mode or a different browser and try it that way and see if it will work.

Click on the three dots in your post and ask a moderator to assist you.

Hello Alberto,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing you. I've notified the team working on your support ticket, and they've shared an update with you. Rest assured, they'll continue to assist you until this is resolved. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
5c7ba821
Community Member

Was not able to hire a freelancer since friday, tried different cardsm contacted banks, no problems on my side.

Here is an error I get.
12.png

For what work you want to hire

Hi Andriy,

I'm sorry you are having trouble using your billing method. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
39e9cdea
Community Member

Hello, I add a primary billing method in a successfull way , i was able to buy more connects but after that my transactions have been limited even though my purchase was approved and my payment method was approved.

1c425d87
Community Member

Hi Team,

I have set up my billing method but I can't hire any freelancers. I have a visa card linked to my account and when I hire a freelancer, upwork shows “Recent charge failed.” and "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help"

Maybe you can tell me how to do it.

Here I am, i've add PayPal as my billing method. Unfortunately I still can't hire any freelancers, the page just showed " Recent charge failed" and I have no idea of it. I've linked 2 visa cards and PayPal and all I can do is nothing but wait for your solution.

Somebody plz help me.

Hi Halsey,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble experienced with your billing method while hiring a freelancer. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
27e6528a
Community Member

I tried with 5 different cards and with paypal to make payment for my first project. the money go out and 30 seconds later they are returned. What Can I do?

Hello there,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble experienced by you while using your billing method. I checked and it appears that you have managed to use your billing method successfully to create a new contract today. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

- Pradeep

Upwork
zameermfm
Community Member

Hi I started a job post and offered a new contract and it deducted certain amount for escrow. I got the email following that saying my primary billing method has failed. But that card transaction history has the reference number and amount deducted. I paid using my new card and that went through as well, so I've been charged twice and it is in the transaction history.

Hi Mohammed,

I am sorry to hear about the double charge on your card. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
62cf15a6
Community Member

Hi,

I am experiencing an issue with payment for services. I have added three different cards, and while the money is deducted from my bank, it gets refunded shortly after. There is no error message, but it advises contacting support. However, the support system is a bot and does not connect me to a live agent.

"Recent charge failed."

Could you please help me with this issue?

Thank you.

Hi Tatiana,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble making a payment. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths