🐈
» Forums » Support » Unable to add/use payment method
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226
f91e5f11
Community Member

my billig method was declined but payment was deducted from my account. plz find attached screen shot of my ban detail.

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Jaber,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
acd0388b
Community Member

Hi. I tried to connect my paypal account to upwork but it says that it can not verify my account. I used the link provided to paypal but when I use it I get this message on paypal:  This article doesn't exist or has been unpublished.

I do not know what to do, please advise.

Thanks

Hi there,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie,

Hope you could help me on this. Charged failed, not able to hire Freelance. Still, I was charged twice of the contract even though my contract is failed due to payment. Below you can see the money is literally withdrawn twice from my bank at the end even though the contract is failed.

Thanks

Brian

Br,

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Khanghuy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It looks like the charge on your credit card keeps getting declined. Please ensure your card is set up to make international payments and has sufficient funds to complete the funding. Please get in touch with your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

I can also see that you've raised a ticket about your concern. Don't hesitate to update your ticket here if you have questions or need further assistance with the case. The team will surely assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Community Member

Hey guys, I don't understand this. Yesterday it worked, today it says "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one." Could you please help me?

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Islam,

I checked your account and can confirm that the charge was declined on our end. Please check with your bank for more information on why the payment was declined. In the meantime, please use an alternative billing method to be able to fund your projects on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork
b2935bbc
Community Member

I've been having trouble with my billing method for a while now.
I've reached out to support but haven't heard back in four days.
I need help.

Hi Precious,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
f66c613a
Community Member

Tried both Paypal and Visa, always tells me charge failed.

Because your profile is no longer available.  Likely deleted for violation of terms and conditions of Upwork?  

I can still message people on the website, so I don't think it's deleted. For what reason should they delete it in the first place? I've done nothing except message people and now that I've found someone, I can't even hire them. 

Simon, I have no idea why they would make your profile unavailable. Perhaps you don't meet the standards of Upwork's TOC.  Here's a screenshot when I attempt to view your profile.  

profile no longer available.png

That is very weird, I can click on my own profile. Thanks for your input though.

Simon, if you are a freelancer, you can't hire anyone. The client must hire you.  In addition, I note that you have no profile picture, so perhaps your profile settings are not completed to the satisfaction of Upwork.  Have you done an identity verification?  Uploaded documents required? Provided a verifiable address in your account?  You may still be able to see your profile, but no one else can until you have all the information required for your account to be valid submitted to Upwork. 

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Simon,

I checked your account, and your card-issuing bank has declined the transactions. You may contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the charge decline. You may also consider using a different Billing Method.

If you're still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you may continue coordinating with our support team through the support ticket you've raised here. The team will surely assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
24a970a6
Community Member

I originally linked a debit card to pay freelancers for jobs; the first one or two worked fine, but then my bank put a hold on the card because it did not recognize the charges. I resolved the hold with my bank, but Upwork is still rejecting the charges. Additionally, I tried adding my CashApp card instead, but Upwork is now declining those charges as well. Please open all doors to allow me to make payments. 

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Xander,

I checked your account and can also confirm that the transactions have been declined. Generally, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you’re attempting on your card. Please get in touch with your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. In the meantime, please use an alternative billing method to be able to fund your projects on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork
emmonsron
Community Member

I have the same issue. Just got a replacement Mastercard but get this message unable to authorize your card. How can I resolve this problem?

Hi Ronald,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Generally, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Could you please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline? If they confirmed everything is working well on their end but the issue still persists, please let us know.

~ AJ
Upwork
cca9070f
Community Member

I hope everyone is having a productive day! I am facing an issue on Upwork that's been quite frustrating, and I was hoping someone in our wonderful community could offer some guidance.

The problem is that I have an active card with sufficient funds to cover my transactions on Upwork, yet every time I try to make a payment, it shows "Charge Failed." I have also attempted to use PayPal, and while I have enough balance in my PayPal account, I still can't seem to hire a freelancer through the platform.

I have confirmed that both my card and PayPal account are in good standing and functional. Additionally, I can send and receive money via PayPal without any issues, so it seems to be specifically related to Upwork transactions.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue before or knows how to resolve this? I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice you can provide.

To clarify, I have already tried the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Ensured my card and PayPal account are valid and have enough balance.
  2. Cleared cache and cookies on my browser to rule out any technical glitches.
  3. Contacted Upwork support, but the response is still pending.

If anyone has found a solution to this problem or has any suggestions, please share them here. Your input might be the key to getting back to smooth transactions on Upwork!

Thank you all for being such a supportive community, and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Best regards

Hi Benjamin,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
8c4b09cb
Community Member

Earlier today the upwork site rejected a us$25
payment I tried to do, due to fact my card didn't
have enough available $. Since then I deposited
more $ into my card and double checked my card
has funds. My card definitely has funds now!

Unfortunately the upwork site still refuses to
process my payment. When I experienced this
several months ago, upwork was able to help
resolve this. But I'm currently unable to
reach an Upwork Support agent. Frustrating,
hoping someone can help resolve this asap
as I'd like to create a us$25 milestone.

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Grant,

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to learn that you're having trouble processing a payment. I checked your account and it looks like the transaction has been declined by your card-issuing bank. You may contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. In the meantime, you may consider using an alternative billing method to be able to fund your projects on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork
0a4a5baa
Community Member

my payment Paypal Recent charge failed.

When I wanted to hire a freelancer, why my PayPal Recent charge failed. Can you help me complete the process? So that the project can run on time.

Thaks 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Adam,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you already opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-28 hours to respond to your request. Feel free to also update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
0c664282
Community Member

i get the same issue, says "We are sorry but we cannot setup PayPal as your payment method because it is not verified. Please verify your PayPal account or add a payment card."

but in my paypal account, my card is already verified i don't know where's the problem. Can someone help me?

Hi Peter,

I am sorry to hear about the challenges while trying to add Paypal details to your Upwork account. I recommend that you contact PayPal directly for assistance with your account. If you are still having trouble after contacting PayPal, please feel free to reach out for further assistance. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
hossaindoula
Community Member

I have talked to my bank/card provider, they said, they haven’t done anything, it is fault from your side

Also bot service is very disappointing, they cannot solve any issues

Hi Mohammed,

I am sorry to hear about the issue while using your card. I checked your account and I can confirm that we were able to charge your card successfully. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
783b9fcd
Community Member

i'am client i want to hiring a freelancer to work my Job.
when I fund contract & hire my primary billing method (Recent charge failed).

while the balance on my PayPal account is more than enough.
And a statement on the my paypal account "the paymant is rejected"

Can you help me, so that my work can keep going according to the scedule?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Anny,

I apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing. It sounds like you are having trouble with your primary billing method. I can see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern and one of our team members is already assisting you. You can access your support tickets here.

Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,
Pradeep

Upwork

hello, Anyone can help me with my problem? 
Until now I still can't  (Recent charge failed).

i'am client i want to hiring a freelancer to work my Job.
when I fund contract & hire my primary billing method (Recent charge failed).

while the balance on my PayPal account is more than enough.
And a statement on the my paypal account "the paymant is rejected"

Can you help me, so that my work can keep going according to the scedule?

**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Anny Fatimatush,

I can see that you already have an open ticket regarding this issue. One of our agents will update your ticket and assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
eb3147de
Community Member

Hey guys, I'm trying to hire a freelancer for my jobsl but each time I try I get this message "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one." Could you please help me?

Hi Efalefa,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked your account and it looks like the transaction has been declined by your card-issuing bank. You may contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. In the meantime, you may consider using an alternative billing method to be able to fund your projects on Upwork.

~ AJ
Upwork
5648764a
Community Member

hi,

i have to make an offer to a freelancer for him to start the job, when it comes to payment it always fails. i tried two different payment methods, but in vain and i got this message.

Sorry, something went wrong on our end. Please refresh the page and try again. If this issue keeps happening, contact customer support.

this is my first time hiring on upwork, appreciating any help.

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Youn,

In general, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you’re attempting on your card. I've converted your post into a support ticket to give your report the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you here with further assistance. 

In the meantime, could you please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline? You may include all the information you can gather from the bank on the ticket so that the team can assist you accordingly and more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths