🐈
» Forums » Support » Unable to add/use payment method
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226

Hi Eloi,

I've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
d7e6b18f
Community Member

Hello,

I followed alll the steps on the Support page and always get taken to the 'Choose channel page' but there is never an option to contact upwork. It should not be this challenging to get in touch for assistance. I resolved the failed transaction and updated the billing method but it is not reflecting on my account. Could you kindly help?

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Brigitte,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. Since you have now updated the billing method and settled the outstanding balance, the team lifted the restriction on your account. You can now use your account as usual. You may check your ticket here to validate the actions taken on your account.

~ Arjay
Upwork
fc382d97
Community Member

I have been having troubles with billing for over a week at this point. UpWork continues to give me the same runaround instead of owning up to their processing issues. I have sufficient funds in ALL THREE cards I have tried to use. My banks removed ALL restrictions including International payments. TWO of the THREE BANKS said that UpWork is declining the transaction even BEFORE they are trying to process it. This has been a TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE. I receive the SAME RESPONSE FROM EVERY EMPLOYEE, instead of them actually trying to help. FIX THIS ISSUE UPWORK. It's a $85 bill...yet I spend thousands of dollars every day with the SAME cards that are declining.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Walter,

I see that you've been in contact with the appropriate team via phone and a support ticket has been set up. Please continue coordinating with them through a single ticket here and they'll surely assist you accordingly. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
6690da5e
Community Member

When i started to hire some freelancer for my work post - i was asked if i want to add full amount of the fixed price 450$ and i choosed yes, after i accepet to charge my payment method and i received the follow error: 

"Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support."

However, I do see my card was charged for 475.45$ from Upwork-612796362REF
What can i do?!?!? 
It is unacceptable!

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this here in the Community. In general, that error message appears when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. However, we appreciate you sharing these screenshots of the potential charges from Upwork.

I’ve immediately escalated your community post to a support ticket to give this the attention it deserves. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon here to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
ccfd3d7b
Community Member

Same issue that everone here... 

Have been trying to pay bill for the past 14 days, already try all my  3 credit cards, 2 debits, 1 paypal acount, AMEX.
All transactions charged and then refunded 5 secounds later.
I have never in my life been with a compny where it's hard to pay. And all support/emals/ chats just gives the same reply. Please add another bill or payment method.
The freelancer that I hire just stop the project at all. (I do not blame him) But my project just got delay thanks for this.paypal.jpeg
upwork dont paying.png

steevelg
Community Member

I keek having this message showing. I tried different cards. All the cards are working and there is money. 

Hi Steeve,

I can see that you were able to enter a billing method very recently. Can you confirm if you're still experiencing this issue?

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ce1418c3
Community Member

Hi!

I have been trying since last week but my billing method is not being active. I am not a freelancer. I am a client who wants to get work done but since upwork is not making my billing method active, my work is on hold.

What should I do?

Hello,

You can contact Upwork support team.

I believe they are in the best position to help you.

Thank you.

Hi Abdullah,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your billing method. I can see that you've already raised a ticket regarding your concern; kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to respond to you and assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
a911fe7b
Community Member

Hi people from Upwork, 

My 3 different cards got declined and I checked with the bank and there is not any problems from the bank side. 

I have contacted your support for 2 times and the only answer is to contact the bank. 

Can you please fix this?

I cannot even find "get support" button anymore. You probably removed it. 

a513b4bf
Community Member

We have two credit cards listed on our upwork account and for some reason we are not able to access our payment mehtods.

We only get this message: "Financial transactions for your company have been limited. Please check your email for additional information or 
contact customer support."

Can you please help us resolved this critical issue. 

Stephen Sherlock

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Steve,

I can see that you've contacted our support team and raised a ticket about your concern. Please allow our team time, and rest assured that you will get an update on your ticket here once your case is thoroughly reviewed. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
a513b4bf
Community Member

##- This has already been done, both freelancers got paid -##
50ab024f
Community Member

What to do?!?!?

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sam,

You may need to add an alternative payment method to your PayPal wallet to add your PayPal account as a payment method on Upwork, as the transaction cannot be completed from our end. Once you've added an alternative payment method, please let us know if the issue continues.

To check which payment source failed on your PayPal account, follow these steps:

• Go to the "Payments" tab and click "Manage automatic payments."
  • Click on the billing agreement associated with "Upwork Escrow Inc."
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and check what funding source is your backup.
  • Update the backup source to a valid payment method and re-attempt the payment.
If the transaction fails again, the next step is to contact PayPal directly. Specifically, you'll want to talk to a PayPal Tier 2 agent and ask why your transaction to Upwork was declined.

~ Arjay
Upwork
9023a709
Community Member

My payment is declined and there is nothing wrong with my credit card. Upwork keeps denying my ability to pay. 

Hi Wayne,

We’ve escalated your post to a support ticket where one of our agents can assist you further. Thank you for posting in the community!

~ Grace

I am also facing the same issue. First payment went through, the others are being declined.

Hi Solomon,

I see that you've recently raised a support ticket regarding your concern. As soon as the next available agent gets your ticket in their queue, they'll contact you to assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

I am now being told, I am at risk of my account being temporarily suspended
due to the failed charge. What is really going on?

Hi Solomon,

I'm sorry for any confusion that can cause you. The team that's working on your case will be getting back to you soon and continue assisting you. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths