🐈
» Forums » Support » Unable to add/use payment method
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226
e4932fb4
Community Member

Hello, I am an upwork employer. When I paid for part-time workers, the payment failed. The message was: Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support.
The monthly balance of the card was normal. I also tried changing my Visa credit card or paying with Paypal, but they all showed failure. I even contacted the card-issuing bank, but the bank said that a transaction had occurred, but the transaction amount was refunded by the upwork merchant.
Please help me, I really need to hire part time staff!

Hi Yuchao,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
d7b08dbd
Community Member

Hello, I try to hire a freelancer for my project and this is my first time using upwork. The problem I am having is I cannot pay him because I get an error saying that "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, Contact Support". Everything seems to be working on my side, I granted all the permission to both the banks and the cards but upwork doesn't want to deduct the money. Additionally, it deducts the money first and then 20 seconds later it refunds the money immediately. Can you help me with this issue, please? I am in a rush on this project and I want to hire someone immediately

e13dcfdc
Community Member

I created an UPWORK account a few weeks ago for the design of my product, I have found a designer for the creation of my product but, I have been refused payment several times with several types of payment (Mastercard, Visa, Paypal), the designer is from Pakistan for information, for what reason all met payment is refused and how do I proceed to resolve the problem.

Payment refusals can occur due to various reasons such as security measures, payment processor restrictions, or issues with your payment method.

To resolve payment issues on Upwork:

1. Ensure your payment method is valid and has sufficient funds.
  2. Contact Upwork support for assistance.
  3. Consider alternative payment methods.
  4. Keep your freelancer informed.
  5. Escalate the issue if necessary.

By taking these steps and working closely with Upwork support and your freelancer, you should be able to identify the cause of the payment refusals and find a suitable solution to ensure timely payment to your freelancer.

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Yahia,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~Andrea
Upwork
ca63cdd3
Community Member

Hello.

There is 2 milestone in job that i created.

Frelanser finished first one and the oayment whas succsesful . Now i whant fund second milestone. But when i make payment there is an error "Recent charge Failed". How can i make payment for the second milestone? I use same payment methon on both milestones.

Hi Elbey,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
ayaz786amd
Community Member

Hi

I am getting the error message when I am trying to hire someone and making payment from card:

Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support.

There is message "Recent charge failed" under card details. Any solutions?

Hi Ayaz,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
af759b1f
Community Member

im trying to set up my account and the ai will not accept my card info (it is liget )and no matter what i do it will not accept my website in company info ...ai says its invalid 

not sure of how this service will help me if i cant talk to a real person to help straighten this out

im very frustrated ugggggggggg

Hi Terry,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
451895fa
Community Member

pls help idk what the problem is. ive already been in touch with my bank multiple times and have clear history and cache as well

Hi Zahid,

~ Luiggi
Upwork

ive already gotten in touch with my bank to verify the deatils. everything is fine on my end. apprently upwork keeps on sending the money back?ive also cleared the history+cache.  i dont know what the issue is. someone pls help me figure this out i need to make the payment today.

a133bc39
Community Member

Twice I have setup a bank account as a payment method, and neither time did my bank account show the two small deposits that should have been made.  Tried it on Monday, and they still do not appear on my bank account on Friday.  I have confirmed that the routing number, account number, name on the account, and type of account are all correct.

Hi Len,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
99e0f8d000024153
Community Member

Hi Upwork Team! 🙂

The reason for my message is that the platform rejects my credit card, I spoke with my bank and they tell me that everything is fine on the bank's side, that the platform is the one that rejects my card. I need to know how to solve this issue 🙏.

Thanks in advance for your reply 🙂.

Hi Antonio,

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi LuiggiR!

Thank you, have a nice day 👍

d21e2a67
Community Member

problemupwork.jpg

I went to Upwork to find a freelancer to do a job for a client of mine, however when trying to pay I get the following error:

"Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support"

So I contacted support and they gave me a very useless response.

What could I do? This is urgent since the deadline for submitting the work to my client is in 2 days and I cannot fail.

I already tried the following:
- I tried with 4 different payment cards, it didn't work
- I deleted and put back the payment cards again, it didn't work
- I made sure the billing details were correct
- I tried to pay with PayPal and it tells me that my Paypal account is not verified, I contacted Paypal support and they say that it is verified

What else can I do?

Hi Ian,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your billing method and that the response you received from the support team didn't help. That said, I can see that you replied to them clarifying what's happening; you can rest assured that they will continue to assist you in resolving this through your ticket with them. Please allow them more time to get back to you. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
de7c33b3
Community Member

This is ridiculous Upwork. Multiple people have commented that they have used multiple cards. I myself have used 4x cards to send a contract, the charge goes through, and then declined. 
It is Upwork. It is not all of our banks. Then you have created a bottleneck with poor customer support. Not even poor, non-existent. You have a low quality chat bot with no real person. You even have to leave a message for the sales team's one very difficult number to find. This is disappointing and horrible service while continuing to repeat the same false narrative of our banks being the issue. There is a developer waiting for my contract. Poor guy really wants/needs this project and it has been impossible to contract. 

Hi Jacob,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble with your billing method and your experience with the support team. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
3adb721e
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern and the team has replied! You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork
01ccb5f5
Community Member

I am trying to hire a freelancer and it will not accept any payment method I have entered. All payment details and card balances are valid.

Can someone assist me?

Hi there,

I checked your account, and it looks like the transaction has been declined. It would be best to contact your card-issuing bank so that they can assist you with the specific decline error. If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
621e8ae2
Community Member

Hi when I tried to fund the milestone for a fixed-price contract, the amount is debited from my bank account but getting Recent charge failed message on upwork, please help.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Red,

I looked closely at your account and confirmed that the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

Alternatively, you may want to check this help article for other available billing methods.

~ Arjay
Upwork
621e8ae2
Community Member

Hi, but its not a decline, money got debited from  my account. Can you please help refund it?

Hi Red,

When a transaction is declined, it is not successfully charged to your account. It would be best to reach out to your card-issuing bank so that they can check on the specific decline error, and also the transaction that was attempted. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
621e8ae2
Community Member

Hi, why is the money debited from my bank account? this is not a decline, the transaction narration states that it was sent to UPWORK

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Red,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with a screenshot of the successful transactionn from your end? We'll have that reviewed and assist you accordingly with your concern. Looking forward to your message.

~ Arjay
Upwork
621e8ae2
Community Member

Hi Arjay I've sent you the screenshot of the transaction, please let me know if you need anything else. I used the notify moderator option, i cannot see any other option to PM you by clicking your name. Please send a message to me so that I can reply

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Andrew,

I did receive the screenshot you shared, and we appreciate your cooperation. I've escalated your community post to a support ticket to give your case the attention it deserves. One of our agents will contact you soon on this page to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
c1b3ad07
Community Member

Hi,

When I try to make a payment to fund a contract, I get this message:

"Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support."

I contacted my bank to ask why. The bank said on their end, the transaction wouldn't go through because the address was incorrect.

However, the address is correct.

Every attempted Upwork transaction is automatically refunded.

I have no other card, so I am unsure what to do next.

Hi Choromatsu,

- Pradeep 

Upwork
18dfbc94
Community Member

Systems said "Sorry, something went wrong on our end. Please refresh the page and try again. If this issue keeps happening, contact customer support." when I click the hire button at the Offer page. I already contacted my bank, they said this is Upwork platform to reject the transaction. Could you please advice ?

Hi Kevin,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble while hiring a freelancer. I checked your account and I see that your card was declined. Could you please try again using a different billing method? Feel free to message us if the issue persists.

- Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths