🐈
» Forums » Support » Unable to add/use payment method
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226
32b12288
Community Member

Hi,

I tried several times to add a payment card and always got the same response that there are already accounts with the same card (which is definitely not the case). I'd like to create a support ticket about it, as any chats I had just go in circles and don't help any further. But: How do you do that? I can't find any contact form or email address; the only contact option is the chat that I have tried at least 5 times, and that does not help at all.

Hi Nina,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble while adding a billing card and reaching our support team. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
d5e50126
Community Member

I keep trying to hire someone for a contract but I keep receiving a payment error. 

The money was removed from my account and then returned a little later. 

I've tried with card details and again with my PayPal which is connected to a different card. In both instances, money was withdrawn but later returned. 

Hi Cassian,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
khowaja_muhammad
Community Member

Dear Upwork Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to urgently address an issue regarding the billing status of my account, which is currently preventing a freelancer from accepting an offer I have extended.

I have recently sent an offer to a freelancer on Upwork, but unfortunately, she is unable to accept it. Upon contacting her, she informed me that she received a notification stating that my client account is on hold due to a billing issue.

To provide clarity, I want to emphasize that all the necessary funds have already been deducted from my billing method. Additionally, I have received an email confirmation from Upwork acknowledging the transaction.

This situation is causing a significant disruption to our workflow and hindering our ability to proceed with essential projects. Therefore, I kindly request your immediate assistance in resolving this matter at the earliest convenience.

If there are any outstanding actions required from my end to expedite the resolution process, please inform me promptly so that I can take the necessary steps.

Thank you for your attention to this urgent matter. I appreciate your prompt assistance in rectifying the billing issue and restoring normal functionality to my Upwork Client account.

Best regards,

Muhammad Ali Khowaja

Hi Muhammad Ali,

I can sense the urgency of your concern. However, I see that you've reached out to our support team and raised a ticket about your payment method concerns. Please allow our team time and you will get an update on this page once your case is thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
5a1b2407
Community Member

My card is fine, can accept payments, and has the funds to pay

But upwork doesn't accept it

They don't accept paypal either

Hi Micah,

I checked your account and saw that the transaction has been declined. You may want to reach out to your card-issuing bank to check on the specific decline error. 

Let us know if you need further assistance afterward; we'll gladly assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
7b30e122
Community Member

I made the payment and  it was debited from my bank but not updated on the contract. The payment is not reflected in my Transaction history. What will I do?

Hi Jasmin,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi,
I called the bank and canceled the payment. Then I tried to pay with the same card again. I came across this warning: 
"Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support."
Then, I tried with 3 different cards, but I still get the same warning. The limits of the cards I try to pay with are sufficient and international online shopping approvals are also open.

I tried again. Again the money was debited from my card but still the payment is not reflected in my Transaction history.

I wanted to hire for a talent. Payment was debited from my card, but my payment was not reflected in the transaction history and is not in the contract. This happened twice. Payment was withdrawn in two separate attempts, but on Upwork it seems as if I never made a payment. My job is urgent. What should I do?

First reference number 686726115

Second reference number 686873247

Hi Jasmin,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with this. I've notified the team handling your support ticket regarding this issue, and they will continue assisting you from there. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
7b30e122
Community Member

Yes, the team reached out to me and they wrote this: "Unfortunately, payments are being blocked due to security reasons and we cannot allow payments to be processed on your payment method. You can try to use a different payment method but it is unlikely that your new payment method will work. You can also sign up and join the Upwork Marketplace at Upwork.com as an alternate avenue for you to continue to work on your project with your freelancer without running into additional payment issues."

What do these mean? So, won't I be able to hire at Upwork? What is the reason? Also, how will I get back the money withdrawn from my card?

image.jpg

b345e8ed
Community Member

Im trying to make a payment as a buyer via visa card as well as master card and the payment got reversed after few minutes and i contacted with my bank and they there is no issue at their end but is on upworks side and if i try again it says sorry we couldn't charge the billing method please add a new one i already tried 3 cards and its still not working

Hi Saba,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
Community Member

I freaking tried all my 3 cards. Canada, Ukraine, Poland, Digittal banks - NOTHING WORKS. IT JUST SAYS TRANSACTION FAILED

It first charges the card - then rollbacks and says transaction failed. Ffs if I could switch to another service I would without any hesitation

Hi Hlib,

I'm sorry you are having trouble making a payment. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ec744afe
Community Member

I have tried to hire someone to do my work
i updated billing method and as i tried to place order
it displayed a card error but the payment is deducted
why? and how can i get my money back?

Hi Farjaad,

I took a closer look at the transactions you're referring to and confirmed that they've been rejected by your bank. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with the successful charges from your account? Additionally, you may also contact your bank for more details about the transactions that have been declined.

We look forward to your message so we can assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
7b30e122
Community Member

Even though money was debited from my card, the payment I made is not reflected in my transaction history. Therefore, I cannot make a contract. Today, I got a answer regarding this problem from the upwork team and it was written as follows: "Unfortunately, payments are being blocked due to security reasons and we cannot allow payments to be processed on your payment method. You can try to use a different payment method but it is unlikely that your new payment method will work.  You can also sign up and join the Upwork Marketplace at Upwork.com as an alternate avenue for you to continue to work on your project with your freelancer without running into additional payment issues."

this answer didn't help me at all.  So, won't I be able to hire at Upwork? What is the reason? Also, how will I get back the money withdrawn from my card?
image.jpg

And what is the meaning that  "You can also sign up and join the Upwork Marketplace at Upwork.com as an alternate avenue for you to continue to work on your project with your freelancer without running into additional payment issues."
I am already a client at upwork!

Hi Jasmin,

I see that you were able to raise a support ticket about your payment concerns. Please allow our team time and you will get an update on your ticket here once your case is thoroughly reviewed. Don't hesitate to coordinate with the team and they'll gladly assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1b631dbd
Community Member

Dear Customer Support,

I recently registered on your website and added my credit card information. However, when I try to complete a payment, I'm seeing the following error message:

"Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support."

I've contacted my credit card issuer, and they've confirmed there are no issues on their end.

Could you please look into this problem and resolve the issue with my payment as soon as possible? I'd appreciate your assistance in getting this sorted out.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Saeid,

I've escalated your community post to a support ticket. I'm sorry you're having difficulties setting up your preferred billing method. One of our agents will contact you soon on this page to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1b631dbd
Community Member

Thank you for processing my ticket. However, your colleagues have informed me that I am unable to make a payment for security reasons. Could you please clarify what this means? I have been using my credit card without issues for many years. It appears that the problem lies with your trust and safety system. I have even suggested verifying my ID or credit card via video call to resolve this issue. I am very dissatisfied with the level of support and service provided.

same with me. I try everything but no, no, no!!!! 

c53326db
Community Member

I've had problems adding payment methods, I've tried 3 credit cards from different banks and a PayPal account and nothing works.

Hi Lenin,

I'm sorry you're having difficulties processing payment using your billing method. Generally, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you're attempting on your card. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

Let us know if you need further assistance afterward; we'll gladly help.

~ Arjay
Upwork
c53326db
Community Member

Hi Arjay!

It is not possible, is happening in 3 different banks, I also have my PayPal account registered and it gives me the same error

423bf948
Community Member

Hey, I don’t know why, but Upwork keeps rejecting my cards. They seem to connect with Upwork smoothly, but whenever I try to charge the card, it shows an error indicating that the charges failed. I’ve tried different cards and PayPal, but I still encounter the same issue. I have funds loaded in my account, and I also asked my bank if they’re rejecting this payment, but they say no, it’s being rejected by Upwork. Upwork charges my card, but after a minute, it refunds me and shows that error. I want to make a new contract ASAP. Also, your support chat seems to be lacking. I’ve been trying to create a ticket, but there’s been no response from support chat. This is the worst support I’ve ever seen.

Hi, i have same problem with Paypal, nothing works, re-adding/re-enabling, and only answer is "contact Paypal its their problem" (haha). Currently only working withdrawal method working for me if Payoneer, so try this way. IDK if they will solve Paypal troubles.

Do you know how to make ticket?

Hi Abhi,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your billing methods. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
af381920
Community Member

Same issue on my end. I have tried both credit and debits cards, as well as PayPal. None of these work!.

Hi Shane,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
6e716894
Community Member

As a client, I cannot hire to the talent. I also make ID verification. Money is being withdrawn from my card but it write " Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected..." why??????????

ID verification, facial recognition on phone app, card verification, phone number verification. I did everything!!!! 

Hi Nurgunes,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your billing method. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths