🐈
» Forums » Support » Unable to add/use payment method
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226
2cbc72c05ec085cb
Community Member

I want to hire freelancer, add my bank account but not pay, add other but happens same. I call bank but no problem about card. What I can make?

Hi Lali,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
a31fe9b3
Community Member

Hi sir, I hope you are well. Sir I have have some issues in payment method. As soon as I send above but the amount is deducted from my bank account but the afar is not being sent offer you can see this amount of screen shot will be deducted from my account but the afar is not sent offer. Please solve this. I attech both screen shoot upwork contract sedniing issu and bank

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Muhammad,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
98eaa98d
Community Member

I can't pay right now even though my payment method is available,I have no way to use payment now. Whether I restart the contract or pay the milestone directly, an error message will appear, but my credit card can be used. Please help me solve it.

Hi Ruyu,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
927ffe2d
Community Member

i've tried to remove and add card again and again but same error whenever i tried to fund the project????

Hi there,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
cee2418c
Community Member

I am having the same problem. What should I do? I am in a hurry.

Hi Chiharu,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
a290d331
Community Member

Same error. I have contacted my bank to see if there's an error, and they said it has something to do with Upwork. Can I get some help?

Hi Cristian,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
693f4b18
Community Member

I'm trying to initiate a contract, but I keep getting an error when trying to fund the contract.  I've spoken to my bank, and they've confirmed that the issue is not on their end.  I can clearly see that the charge was approved by the bank, but Upwork reverses the charge seconds later.  This has happened multiple times.

This is the error message that I received: 

693f4b18_0-1711555492207.png

I submitted a support ticket (including screenshots of the error message and my bank transaction history), and someone responded an hour later saying that they were looking into it and would get back to me, but that hasn't happened.  It's been multiple days of this, and still no response.  I've requested updates, but still no response.  This project is time-sensitive, and this system error is costing me.  I need it resolved ASAP.

• My payment method is verified. 
  • I've already set up 2-factor authentication. 
  • I've tried clearing my cache and browsing history.
  • I've tried using a different browser.
  • I've tried multiple different payment methods.
  • I've tried removing all payment methods and re-adding them.

Can someone help me, please?

Hi Lana,

I'm sorry you're having trouble initiating a contract with a freelancer. We understand the urgency of your concern. I see that you've raised a support ticket about your case, and it's been escalated to the appropriate team for review. Kindly allow them time, and you will receive an update on your ticket here once your account has been thoroughly checked.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e27e82cb
Community Member

Hello, I have just created my profile on upwork and added the billing account. And suddenly got suspeneded the account plus I have removed the billing still the issue not getting resolved.

Hi Biplop,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with more information and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e7a4d300
Community Member

I am a client. I was hiring a freelancer and while paying the amount was debited from my bank account but it is showing that it is an unsuccessful hire and they could not charge the billing method. I cannot find the freelancer in the "hire" or "contract" section. Please can someone help me with this I don't have ample experience in working with Upwork.

Hi Keshav,

Generally, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you’re attempting on your card. However, 

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket to give this the attention it deserves. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

You may also contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. Then, relay some important information to our support team that you think may help with the review.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e7a4d300
Community Member

Hi Rea,

I need your help urgently, I am a client and have tried to pay to a freelancer multiple times, tried different cards, tried both domestic and international bank but I have failed to do so. I was unsuccessful in connecting with upwork customer care. I request you to please connect me with any customer care agent. PFA the screenshot below.

Thank you for following up, Keshav.

I shared your report with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
37c1f9cf
Community Member

Dear Upwork Support,

I encountered an error when attempting to use my billing method on Upwork: "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support." I have tried two different cards and I've confirmed with my bank that there are no issues on their end, suggesting the problem lies with Upwork.

Could you please investigate and assist in resolving this issue as soon as possible?

Thank you

Hi Moe,

Thank you for forwarding the report. An agent will be assigned to your case and will contact you shortly with a support ticket. They will provide personalized assistance and ensure that all your concerns are addressed. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
8d4404bd
Community Member

Hello, help please. Whrn Im trying to pay for job by my wise accoun it is some problem and cant be approval. Why? 

Hi Yana,

I checked your account and saw that the transaction has been declined. You may want to reach out to your card-issuing bank to check on the specific decline error. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
ead0c2ec
Community Member

Please help me i cant add a payment method i have 2 weeks with this issue, i tried with verifying paypal, with 2 credit cards, with 2 debit cards and its impossible with anyone. 

Hi Sebastian,

You will need to add a verified Paypal account so that you can use it. You may want to check this help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
a16309a8
Community Member

Hi,

I have issue funding a contract with my card again. The same problem occurs each time I fund a contract. Could you please find a long term solution so I do not need to write to support each time I would like to pay.

My freelancer is not so happy about it as you can imagine and I cannot move forward with my project as fast as I could be because of waiting 3-4 days each time to get it solved.

So please investigate the issue a bit further. Thanks a lot!

Viktoria

Hi Victoria,

Generally, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you’re attempting on your card. You may want to reach out to your card-issuing bank to check on the specific decline error. Let us know if you need further assistance afterward; we'll look further into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
0b218463
Community Member

I try to pay with my debit card

1 from my payoneer card

2 from my privatbank (local ukrainian bank)

There is money in the accounts.

Both times the same thing.

The money is debited from the account (I checked in a conversation with bank employees) ,

but the upwork website itself does not accept the payment.

That is, the problem is on the upwork side. What's wrong with this site ?

Hi Maksym,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
8d4d9252
Community Member

I'm trying to hire a freelancer, but can't make payment with paypal. When I fund with paypal, it keeps refunded. My paypal is fully verified. 

Hi Brandon,

I'm sorry you're having difficulties processing payments using PayPal. You may need to add an alternative payment method to your PayPal wallet to add your PayPal account as a payment method on Upwork, as the transaction cannot be completed from our end.

Once you've added an alternative payment method, please let us know if the issue continues.

To check which payment source failed on your PayPal account, follow these steps:

• Go to the "Payments" tab and click "Manage automatic payments."
  • Click on the billing agreement associated with "Upwork Escrow Inc."
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and check what funding source is your backup.
  • Update the backup source to a valid payment method and re-attempt the payment.
If the transaction fails again, the next step is to contact PayPal directly. Specifically, you'll want to talk to a PayPal Tier 2 agent and ask why your transaction to Upwork was declined.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1d903e12
Community Member

After struggling all day to pay my freelancer and submitting tickets out into this black void, I finally got a payment to process and then it immediately refunded the payment. This is madenning. All the useless chat bots send you into nonsensical and unhelpful repititive loops, I didn't realize this platform was so unreliable.

Wouldn't you expect payment to be simplest part of this process. How have I wasted 10 hours trying to pay for work that's already done and waiting. Looking through this feed I can see numerous people having the same issue with unhelpful copy paste answers over and over. If you guys dont know what's wrong then say it. The non answers all the mods are giving to this issue is beffudling me. You guys don't want your money either?

Hi Tangela,

We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. We know how important it is that the payment transaction functions smoothly. Please know that we've requested the help of our support team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket to get this sorted as soon as possible. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
6278b65e
Community Member

Error says 

"We found a problem with your primary billing method and to put it on hold. Update it now." Card has been updated multiple times, still showing the same error.

Hi Fred,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
4d07c548
Community Member

Hello Upwork, why do I always fail to activate and fund the milestone? Credit card is working fine. But activate and fund always fails on Anyhire. Can you please help?

Hi Kate,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
0f1b29dc
Community Member

I'm a client and have been unable to reach anyone from customer service for billing support. How can I contact Upwork support ASAP?

Hi Carole,

Thank you for reaching out to us, and I'm sorry you're having trouble contacting our support team. I escalated your billing concerns to our support team and raised a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. One of the members will be in touch with you on this page to assist. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths