🐈
» Support » Resources » Tax Country Information » India →
Page options

India: GST and TDS

Goods and Services Tax (GST)

Upwork collects and remits GST to the Indian government as required by law. However, we will not collect this tax if you provide us with a GSTIN. You can enter your GSTIN by visiting Settings and then selecting Tax Information

We are required to assess an 18% tax on these services if you do not enter a GSTIN:

Freelancers
  • • Membership fees, including Freelancer Plus
  • • Connects purchases
  • • Freelancer service fees
Clients
  • • Marketplace, payment processing, and contract initiation fees
  • • Enterprise subscription, billing, and service fees
  • • Any Hire client fees
If you change locations in your account settings, your GST will be adjusted accordingly. You can update your location  by visiting Settings and then selecting  Contact Info.

Tax Deducted at Source (TDS)

Upwork also collects and remits TDS to the Indian government as required by law. TDS applies to all client payments sent to Indian freelancers and agencies.

We are required to withhold a 1% tax from your earnings if you provide a valid permanent account number (PAN) to Upwork and link your PAN to your Aadhaar number (or are exempt from this requirement). We are required to withhold a 5% tax from your earnings if you do not provide a valid PAN to Upwork and do not link your PAN to your Aadhaar number.

Form 16A

Upwork files quarterly TDS reports within one month after the end of each quarter as required by law. We email Form 16A (certificate of tax deduction) to you within two weeks after we file. 

Send any Form 16A correction requests to taxinfo@upwork.com by the deadline (find the dates in the chart below) and include these items:

• The email address you registered for access to Upwork

• The reason for your request

• The new PAN for your correction

For information on how to link your PAN to your Aadhaar number and exemptions from this requirement, visit the India tax authority website.

Check the chart for final dates for requesting Form 16A corrections.

Quarter Form 16A distribution date Correction request due date
Q1: April - June August 15 October 30
Q2: July - September November 15 January 30
Q3: October - December February 15 April 30
Q4: January - March May 15 June 30

Foreign Inward Remittance Certificate (FIRC)

If you are working from India, you may need a FIRC to document your foreign money transfers from Upwork. Upwork can request the FIRC information from the payment processor who sends your payment, and we can forward that to you.

To request a FIRC, contact Upwork Support and provide us with this information:

• Transaction ID of the withdrawal

• Date of withdrawal

• Amount in INR

Keep in mind that some banks can only provide the disbursement receipt or proof of transfer and not the actual FIRC, and there also may not be a FIRC available for older withdrawals.

Purpose Code

According to India’s GST laws, freelancing services are categorized under database and online information. The purpose codes are hardcoded to P0103 of P1006. Upwork does not control which of these purpose codes are used.

To request a purpose code change, contact your AD Bank and ask them to email IndusInd Bank at grdops_rda@indusind.comYou must make your requests for purpose code amendments within the set timelines for the amendments to be available. 

Check the chart provided by the Reserve Bank of India for final dates to request purpose code amendments.

Transaction months Amendment due date
January - March Before April 30
April - June Before July 31
July - September  Before October 31
October - December Before January 21

Please note that this information is for general guidance only, and for specific tax advice, consult your local tax authority or a tax advisor.

Frequently asked questions

Who has to pay GST?

How do I enter my GSTIN and PAN on Upwork?

I tried entering my GSTIN but received an error message. How do I correct this?

I don't have a PAN; what should I do?

How is TDS different than GST?

My PAN was rejected. Why?

I don’t think I'm required to pay TDS. What should I do?

Why do I have to link my PAN to my Aadhaar?

What if I need a purpose code amendment outside the timelines the Reserve Bank of India set?

How long will it take to get my FIRC?

Why am I receiving a disbursement receipt instead of my FIRC?

I worked for a non-Indian client who paid in USD, and my invoices on Upwork show USD; but, my FIRC shows INR. Can I get a FIRC in USD?