🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » A question regarding profiles
Page options
duncanmeyer
Community Member

A question regarding profiles

Hi,

I have two strings to my bow.  First I have been editing English manuscripts for 30 years.  Second, I am an IT Project Manager with 10+ years experience.  I would like to submit proposals for both types of work.

One option is to have both reflected in my profile, but I've tried this, and it looks messy and lacks focus.  Ideally, I need two UpWork accounts, but this is not permissable (as I understand it).

It occurred to me that I might have two profiles stored as text files, and paste the appropriate one into UpWork as required for the proposal.  However this presents issues.  On the one hand I'm not sure UpWork would approve of regular and repeated changes to someone's profile - but I might be mistaken about this.  On the other hand, even if I do submit a proposal, I suspect that the proposal simply embeds a link to the user profile, so if I change it back to my other profile, the client will see this change and think WTF? - this bears no resemblance to what the job requires!

Another possible solution may be to have a very short profile listing my qualifications and some generic information, and to include all the job specific information in my proposal itself?

Has anyone encountered this dilemma before, and if so, how did they resolve it?

Regards,

Duncan

15 REPLIES 15
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "On the one hand I'm not sure UpWork would approve of regular and repeated changes to someone's profile - but I might be mistaken about this."

You're mistaken.

They don't care.

This is a reasonable strategy.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I suspect that the proposal simply embeds a link to the user profile, so if I change it back to my other profile, the client will see this change and think 'what on Earth??' - this bears no resemblance to what the job requires!"

You are correct.

You could send proposals to one type of client, and that client may indeed click to look at your profile at an inoportune time when you're displaying your alternative profile.

If you plan to mix your proposal submissions together within a short time span.

re: "and to include all the job specific information in my proposal itself"

You could do that.

As a client, I hate it when job candidates talk about themselves in their proposals. That's what the profile is for.

In a proposal, if I read it at all, I only want to read about me and my project. Not interested in seeing info about the freelancer.

Also keep in mind that if your information is not on your profile page, then your profile will be ineffictive when it comes to clients searching for somebody to do a job for them.

Hi Preston, and thanks for your suggestions.

I contacted the Help Centre, but they were of no help at all, and could suggest nothing.  I'm not sure the person I chatted to was that experienced, to be honest.

I've taken another look at my composite profile blurb, and it is short, factual and to the point.  I think it probably covers the bases sufficiently.  Besides, most of the effort is in the proposal letter anyway - even though mine tend to be on the shorter side.

I'll continue with my composite profile, and see how that pans out.

Cheers,

Duncan

@Preston H wrote:

As a client, I hate it when job candidates talk about themselves in their proposals. That's what the profile is for.

In a proposal, if I read it at all, I only want to read about me and my project. Not interested in seeing info about the freelancer.

That's a Kudos-worthy observation.  Thanks.

Duncan

versailles
Community Member

Upwork is not built for people with many unrelated skills. The fact that you can display only one profile makes it hard to achieve what you want to do.

People who show unrelated skills in their profile look like they are trying to be jacks of all trades and appear generally less qualified to clients compared to professionals focused on one type of skills.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Thanks Rene.

I also have two strings to my bow, being a car mechanic and an astronomer. Fortunately though, I have never experienced Duncan's problem because for some reason I have not been able to figure out, there is no demand for astronomy related work here. So perhaps I should be thankful I don't have Duncan's problem.

@Reinier B wrote:

I also have two strings to my bow, being a car mechanic and an astronomer. Fortunately though, I have never experienced Duncan's problem because for some reason I have not been able to figure out, there is no demand for astronomy related work here. So perhaps I should be thankful I don't have Duncan's problem.

I don't really understand the bow string analogy, but I have done many things professionally that are routinely marketed here on Upwork: writing fiction, writing general business content, editing, marketing consultancy, creating test questions and other curriculum (just to name a few). I'm also an attorney; my license is currently inactive, but I could reactivate and offer legal services, or take on paralegal work assisting attorneys with active licenses.

On Upwork, I write law firm marketing content. Period. When I shifted my profile and my focus from various types of writing to that narrow niche, I almost immediately found myself having to turn down work because I was fully booked (or a bit more), and my average rate increased by more than 50%.

jjredmond6
Community Member

I agree with Duncan. I would like to submit proposals for different skills, too. If you have a multiple skills, you shouldn't be penalized for that. It should be a badge of honor. I realize people have to focus like a laser on what they want, but shouldn't having a diverse skill indicate an even more intelligent person?

@ Tiffany, as writers I think we have more leeway in the range of 'skills' as the core of them is communicating/communications. The OP's skills are two entirely different sets and, as Rene & Preston wrote, trying to design an effective  profile around both of them might not be the wisest  move.

@ Duncan, I had a look at your profile and 2 things jumped out. 

1. You charge professional rates based on your hourly one. YES!! U. needs many more like you.

2. You should create a portfolio to back up your words.  The content does not need to be from U. jobs. I know you can send samples of work done with proposals, but having a portfolio gives credence to your profile.  Esp. true until you have substantial feedback from clients.

@Jim R wrote:

... shouldn't having a diverse skill indicate an even more intelligent person?

Jim,

Arguably. (The other side of the argument informs the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none.")

However, irrelevant. We may think we're selling intelligence here, or our dazzling skill set(s), or our good looks, wit, and irresistible charm; buyers likely are buying results. Specific results. For specific tasks.

It's no sin to advertise multiple skills. It could be, as the virtual consensus of experienced contractors suggests, a marketing problem that can affect revenue. If one skill is bringing in more money than the other, it might be worth a test to strip one's profile down to that single skill to see the effect on quality and quantity of invitations and/or responses to proposals.

Best,

Michael

A generalist knows less and less about more and more until he knows absolutely nothing about everything.

@Jim R wrote:

realize people have to focus like a laser on what they want, but shouldn't having a diverse skill indicate an even more intelligent person?

Possibly. Probably.  Most of the highly intelligent people I know have expertise in several areas.

That might matter to an employer.

Freelancing clients, in my experience, have zero interest in how intelligent I am. They are concerned only with how well, quickly, and reliably I can do the one thing they need done in that moment.

thebookdoc
Community Member

I have a similar issue. Most of the work I get here is development editing for manuscripts. I also happen to edit images with Photoshop (the subject I wrote nine books on). I keep the Upwork profile for development editing and publishing experience, and I link to an outside profile on my web site for Photoshop work.