🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » What is the best pricing option for writers? ...
Page options
faisal-xoniaa
Community Member

What is the best pricing option for writers? Hourly, fixed fee, or by word?

E.g. $0.20 / word.

11 REPLIES 11
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Best advice I can give for anyone on pricing is to look at people with similar experience in your area are commanding, and base your rate off of that. You don't want to price yourself out of potential jobs, but you need to charge what you're worth and stick to that. If you drop your prices just to get jobs, you're competing in a race to the bottom where there are no winners.

tlsanders
Community Member

That's a meaningless question. Writers perform very different services at very different levels. I may charge anywhere from $75 to $350 or more for a 500-word piece. There are many writers on Upwork who think I'm too cheap, and many others who will write a 500-word piece for $5 or less. 

Straight writing off the top of your head is different from research-based writing, and the amount and depth of research required varies. If you have existing expertise in the field you're writing about, that factors into your price. The question simply can't be answered in the abstract.

Tiffany, please save and repost your erudite answer every single time this question is asked.

In addition to the above, a writer's fees are also based on experience, proven success of their words, and something called talent.

Tiffany and Wendy have provided excellent answers. I hope this doesn't derail the topic.

I only work fixed-price for writing gigs, despite the fact that half of them are hourly. If I'm interested in the work (because the work is interesting, not because of the pay rate), I'll propose what I think the work is worth to the client at the quality I can deliver. For example, one client paid me $150 each for 10K word stories. I wanted the practice, they rarely took more than an afternoon to write, so I accepted.

I turn down well-paying easy work for which I'm qualified, such as blogging on medical topics. I'm unlikely to learn anything with the job, and I already get into too many p*****g contests on a forum where everyone feels qualified to diagnose mental disorders in seconds.

When I'm hired to write a professional business paper (never on UW), pricing per word is just plain wrong. Executives want short, powerful and clear documents. I'll often write 3K words, perhaps eleven pages, then spend a week cutting it down to three pages.

I've stopped ghostwriting for the most part. A UK client (another board), whose own atrocious writing was in British English, asked for a romance set in Britain. I wrote it, made sure to use idiomatic British English, including separate dialects for two main characters from separate classes and professions, and every detail was thoroughly researched. She wasn't happy. "I didn't expect it to be in British English."

Continuing Bill's "derailment" of the thread... 

I have a measly 1 hour of hourly jobs out of somewhere around 170 completed jobs.  The only jobs I ever took on that was based on a per word price was for a direct client.  I was writing tours for cities in Spain and the sole reason we used per word was because the format included audio visual tours and timing was intrinsic to making it work.

It's fine for a client to give an approximate length - but writing per word far too often leads to incoherent gibberish as freelancers drone on and on for no reason.  Better to have quality words than quantity of words.

So you only take fix-price jobs? Bust most of jobs listed there are hourly based.

Faisal, you have similar posts throughout the forum. I urge you to read and listen to ALL the tutorials for new freelancers that Upwork has posted.  Start here:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/bd-p/New_to_Upwork

I know you were asking Wendy, but I'm a writer and I work almost exclusively on a fixed-price basis. If I bid on a job that is posted as hourly, I just bid my regular hourly rate and then note in the proposal that I typically do this type of work on a per-page or per-post basis, and here are my rates.

Very good news. Hows that working for you? And what do you think of charging by words?

@Faisal A wrote:

Very good news. Hows that working for you? And what do you think of charging by words?

Most clients are happy to convert. They like to know exactly how much a project is going to cost.

I don't like per-word rates at all, for a bunch of reasons. First, when freelancers start thinking in terms of per-word rates, they tend to get stuck on one. If your pricing is "I charge 10 cents per word," that's fine if you're writing content that requires little or no research and flows naturally, and it takes you an hour to write a 500-word piece. But, another 500-word piece might require a couple of hours of research and take twice as long to write. In that case, your per-word rate yields $50/hour on the quick and easy work and $12.50/hour on the higher level, more difficult work that should pay more.

Per word rates lead to weird problems at the lower end of the industry, too. Clients want a certain range, but some don't want to pay a penny more than they have to, so may cut down your work in editing and use the lower word count for payment. Or, cap the word count in a way that doesn't do the piece justice. Similarly, some low-end freelancers try to squeeze out as much pay as possible by increasing the word count unnecessarily.

When I quote a flat rate to a client, it's always for a range. For example, I have a rate for 500-700 word blog posts, and a rate for 600-800 word web pages. That allows the client to choose a word count range and know the price in advance, but liberates us both from worrying about the exact word count, so I can deliver whatever best serves the topic.

Just because the client lists an hourly contract doesn't mean they won't change their mind about it later. Or like Tiffany said, she gives her fixed price rates too. If the hourly rate is high enough, then I'll take a job. I have one client who is extremely busy, and the type of writing I do for them varies from blog posts to social media posts FOR the blog posts. This client doesn't want to be in Upwork all of the time adding milestones. They would rather approve my timelog once per week. Totally fine with me, at the hourly rate I'm getting.

I will offer to create a fixed price quote, but usually after I interview with a client and I am sure I understand the parameters of the job. If the client is providing all of the research they want used in an article, then I may charge a little less than if I have to conduct the research myself. I still deserve to be compensated for my time, and therefore that factors into my fixed price quote.