🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Why nobody hire me for transcription projects...
Page options
rinor85
Community Member

Why nobody hire me for transcription projects?

I keep getting turned down constantly for transcription projects. Often times clients don't even want to interview me before awarding their projects to other freelancers. 

Is this an Upwork thing? Because on Freelancer I tend to get far more transcription projects, and at a much higher pay too.

All the projects I managed to get here I had to offer the lowest bid just to get noticed. Is there a discrimination/outsourcing mentality for non-US freelancers when it comes to writing, translating, proofreading, transcription and the like where we will not be considered unless we offer our services at the cheapest price possible?

Please view my profile and point out if there are any elements that would dissuade clients from messaging me. At the same time though, please be nice with your comments. I am asking nicely for advice on how to improve. 

7 REPLIES 7
iamchunchunchun
Community Member

Is your profile private? I can't seem to find your profile.

Hello, Hiu Chun L. I think it is public now. Hold on, let me just set it again. 

Is "by a me" a typo? This could be quite serious since it appears in the first line of your overview.

OH MY GOD! Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I'll go fix that right away. Whoops. Editing now!Smiley Tongue

petra_r
Community Member

To be honest, I am not sure your overview does you any favours. Most of it concentrates on the fact that you don't outsource which is "very nice" but not the most important factor.  It should go without saying, and even if you must mention it, one brief sentence is more than enough.

I'd rewrite it from scratch, starting with whatever your unique selling point is. Make the whole thing less about you and what you do or do not do, and more about what you bring to the client's table.

@Rinor

Do you really need to use the words “genuinely” and “real”?

They send the wrong signal.

"Certa bonum certamen"
resultsassoc
Community Member

The title of this thread tells me that you are not familiar with English as it is spoken in the UK, North America and Australia/New Zealand. "Why does no one hire me ...." or "Why has no one hired me ..." is the way speakers, whose words you will transcribe, speak. I speak a number of languages in which inverting subject-verb forms a question; English is not one of them, except where it is a common second language, as in Asian and African Commonwealth countries.

If you cannot accurately identify what the speaker is saying, because you do not recognize the typical forms of the spoken language, you aren't going to get many transcription jobs.