🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Writing with invisible ink
Page options
anaduarte66
Community Member

Writing with invisible ink

Hi there

I have the sensation of being writing proposals with invisible ink, since I've applied to 51 jobs last month and only get a small one.

It's quite frustating. You know you have the skills to deliver excellent jobs, but it seems clients don't even read first line of your proposal.

Anyone else?

11 REPLIES 11
lysis10
Community Member

Yes, I'm sure everyone on Upwork has experienced this. It's normal.

Does it ever gets better?

researchediting
Community Member

Think of casting a wide net for work as the equivalent of cold calling or a direct mail solicitation. In that context, a 2% response rate is pretty good. Freelancers with higher response and conversion rates typically find a specialized niche in which they can demonstrate particular excellence.

Hi Douglas

Thank you for your answer.

What do you mean by direct mail solicitation? Is that allowed in Upwork?

I'm pretty sure he was using 'direct mail' as an example of what sending in proposals is like.  There's no way to contact clients outside of upwork on upwork unless you ask them for information (and even then you break some rules and can be fined for it).

If you're really not sure about your percentages, go to 'my stats' under your find work page.  Halfway down there's a section called Marketing Effectiveness where you can go over how your responses have stacked up compared to others. 

If your numbers are really low (or rated 'lower than average' on all three) it may be time to consider working on your profile and how you approach clients.

Using mine as an example, I applied to 32 jobs this month.  My profile has been viewed 22 times, I've been interviewed five times and hired once in those (four are still open for interviews).  I luckily have long-term clients (on and off upwork) that I keep up with during this, and I aim more towards long-term work since finding work is the hardest part.

I know times are going to be harder for a month or so since there's been a flood of people searching for from-home jobs anywhere they can find them, but show that you have something nobody else does.  Because you absolutely do.

I wish you so much luck! 

Thank you so much Kathryn.

I know my marketing effectiveness is lower than average, i had already checked my stats.

I just can't understand why. I've worked on my profile and made concrete proposals, trying do show clients i've payed attention to the specificities of their jobs posts.

However, my ME curve (attached) is growing again hope it brings better results.

Thank you again for your answer!

Ana

Ana, 

There is nothing wrong with your profile, but you are working in a fairly specific niche. If I were you I would be much more choosy about the jobs I apply for. My advice is to keep your proposals short - really short. Make them sort of teasers so that your potential client wants to know more about what you have to offer them. 

Also, at this time, don't forget that global lockdown is having a considerable effect on translators. When this is over, I don't think you will have any trouble finding work. We just have to wait it out. 

Thank you very much Nicola!
Let's hope so!

Keep safe!

Ana,

I cannot comment on your French, and Portuguese is probably your native language. Your English is better than my Portuguese, but not overwhelmingly so. Your posts in this thread give me pause about your English.

"I just can't understand why. I've worked on my profile and made concrete* proposals, trying do show clients i've payed paid attention to the specificities of their jobs job posts."

*Concrete is not the best word choice. In this context it implies something tangible and measurable. It is understood as non-frivolous. A better word would be professional, or responsive.

"I have the sensation of being * writing proposals with invisible ink, since I've applied to 51 jobs last month and only get a small one.

It's quite frustating. frustrating You know you have the skills to deliver excellent jobs, but it seems clients don't even read the** first line of your proposal.

Anyone else?

* being makes no sense in this context. It also is unneeded.

**the definitive article is required here, in part because about a third of English is derived from German, which uses definitive articles for fun.

I know that small errors in English are irrelevant to a translation from English, because the one that has to be perfect is the to language (Portuguese). Still, you don't want to stand out for errors.

Hi Bill

Thank you very much for your notes, you're absolutely right.

I know my english is not perfect, that's why i never apply for retroversion jobs. However, i'm perfectly able of understanding written english and translate it to impeccable portuguese.

Let's make a deal, you help me to improve my english and i teach you portuguese... 🙂

Have a nice weekend!

Ana D wrote:

Hi Douglas

Thank you for your answer.

What do you mean by direct mail solicitation? Is that allowed in Upwork?

I mentioned direct mail and cold calling as analogous off-platform activities, to provide context for your response rate.