🐈
» Forums » Support » Can't use phone number from closed account
Page options
a2710568
Community Member

Phone number already in use

My account is attcahed to another account but I cant seem to ifgure out what emai its attached to.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

305 REPLIES 305

Hi Philip,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
a0808602
Community Member

Hi Joanne,
Could you help me with this issue? I simply want to file a support ticket for this and resolve this. I'm having trouble creating my new account. I was unable to verify my phone number. It told me that another account was already using this.

I'm assuming my issue is that my old account still has my phone number on it. However I cannot access it at all because the email, username, and password are lost to me entirely. I made those before Upwork had transitioned from another freelance agency in the past. So if we could find this other account and delete that should allow me to verify my phone number. 

Could you help me make a support ticket for this issue please, I've been going in circles trying to do this.
Thank you,

Hi Dominic,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
ce811f63
Community Member

Hi, I am trying to verify a client account and I keep getting "This number is being used by another account" error.

I do have a Freelancer account that I am not planning to use with the same phone number. My client profile lists me as the primary contact with this phone number as well.

Help please!

Hi Anas,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance in completing the phone verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork
8a576450
Community Member

Hi Upwork Support

I urgently need help from you to remove my mobile no. from a previous account I may not be aware of.

My new acct. setup is unable to accept my mobile number input for verification purpose.

Pls let me know if you can remove my mobile no. soonest

Thanks!

Hi Fahiza,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
27493be9
Community Member

I set up a personal Freelancer account, and I can't apply to a job. The system is asking me for my phone number to verify, and when i enter it they system says "Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support."

The support chat only refers me to the knowledge base. I need to clear this up so i can apply for jobs.

Hi Matt,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
5f751eab
Community Member

Hi,

I need to use my phone number in order to post a job as a client, and it is a phone number used in a freelancer account I've closed. I have tried creating a client account using my freelancer account but had the same issue. The bot keep asking me to contact support team, but I can't find anyway to do that, there is no "get support" button on the contact support page. please help.

5f751eab_0-1715779390251.png

Hi Yuchen,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
e_gabbadon
Community Member

I am new. I have been trying to verify my phone number for days now but it kept telling me that my number was already in use.  I do not have another account.  When I tried again this time it said I have tried to change my pin too many times.  The chat keeps telling me to contact support directly, but I don't know how to do that.  Please help!

Probably, there is someone who has already verifed upwork account using your phonenumber. I think buy a new phone is the best way. If it is not good message, I am sorry.

Hi Erica,

~ Joanne
Upwork
ad499d69
Community Member

Can someone please provide me with the link/email/phone number to contact support to help me figure out which account my phone number is linked to?

Hi Shanni,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8719da68
Community Member

I need help. I purchased my phone number few months ago and today when I signed up on upwork I couldn't confirm my phone number cause someone else was using it on their account. Need help

I  can't understand. 

Hi Juliana,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
98af6cae
Community Member

The client provided me a zip file for the project. When I open the zip file on my PC. Then my PC shows virus detect, and PC completely hangs fearing that my data is hacked.

10ed96de
Community Member

I am trying to apply to a job and get error message when I try to verify my phone number.
It says phone number already in use.

Hi Paula,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
b4674d29
Community Member

the number is my number I used when I signed up.  I don't have another number to use.

also, should they have a "try this another way" opportunity to verify with email?

Hi William,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
b4cbc137
Community Member

I had an Upwork account through my old job. I linked/verified my account with my phone number. 

I no longer work for that company and tried to set up a new account with a new email address. The system will not allow me to verify my new account because I am using the same phone number. Please help!

I looked in the forums and support posts but there is no answer. Also there is no way for me to speak to a person at Upwork (until I found this page... hopefull). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SAM 

Please see the attached screenshot

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

If you are using the old number which was assiciated with an existing account, it won't work for the new account.. The phone number could be used for security, verification and other usage, so you would need to use a new number for new accoount Or you need to close your previous account as you are not working with them now..

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the response but that isn't solving my problem.

857624d8
Community Member

I am trying to apply for a project but it says that my phone number is already in use, and I can't verify it. Please help.

Thanks

Hi Olga,

I will be happy to help. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket so that we can look into this further and assist you accordingly. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
aed7a375
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to sign up with my new email I'm currently using. However, my phone number is in use with another existing account, which may happen to be my old university email that is no longer existing. I want to use my current phone number with my new email. How would I proceed? This is stopping me from continuing my process in finding a freelance job at the moment.

Thank you!

Hi Lauren,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
998c583f
Community Member

Hi all,

I seem to be going in circles here as I tried to apply for a job earlier and have been blocked by the image below when they ask for my phone number for verification.

998c583f_0-1716277617382.png

The support bot keeps sending me to the same web page that tells me to talk to the support bot and I'm a little stuck. Is there anyone from support I can talk to here and if not, how do I create a request to their team?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Best,

Ben

Hi Benjamin,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
22a67215
Community Member

I'm trying to apply for work and each time it tells me that "Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support ."   I have one other account that I closed and ensured that my phone number was not on it.   I have tried the chat bot.  It told me to contact support directly, but I do not have that option. I have cleard my browser, restarted and tried a second browser.

You cannot start new account any time you want. Only one allowed. Some moderator here will help you to restore original account.

Hi Sara,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
0c2b6020
Community Member

I closed my old account. Now I made a new account, and it won't let me use the same verification phone number, even though I closed the old account. Please reach out to me asap and resolve this issue.

Click the above Support link for assistance.

Hi Giorgio,

- Pradeep 

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths