🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Phone number in use
Page options
a2710568
Community Member

Phone number already in use

My account is attcahed to another account but I cant seem to ifgure out what emai its attached to.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

344 REPLIES 344

I've been having this same issue, and can't get ahold of anyone to help. It's incredibly frustrating. Hoping a mod sees this post and responds to the both of us! 

Hi Megan,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you with further assistance on your phone verification concerns.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Alecia,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. I see that you've been in contact with our support team about your phone verification concerns. Please continue doing that through your ticket here or by email to resolve the issue you're experiencing; they'll gladly look into it for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
b00b60e7
Community Member

Can you "escelate" this post as well? Been trying to solve this issue for months. I closed almost every account I could think of but I still get the message "This number is being used by another account"

Hi Lisander,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
paula_gaviria
Community Member

Upwork, after looking everywhere for a way to submit a ticket, seems like this is the only way to do it. I'm creating my profile but when I try to add my phone number it shows "This phone number is linked to another account." I don't have another account and I there no option to verify that I am indeed the owner of my phone number. Please fix this and help me reclaim my phone number or fix the bug, I've used a relative's number but that is only a temporary solution so I can submit my profile.  

Thanks,

Paula.

Hi Paula,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks Joanne. I appreciate the help. It is really difficult to figure out how to submit a ticket. Thanks for the help and I'll be on the lookout for that message. 

954f717e
Community Member

oky

5ca45002
Community Member

Hi, I am having a similar issue and have been going in circles with the chat bot about this for two days. Any help would be welcomed!

Hi Kyahdric,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
be599ba4
Community Member

When I attempt to verify my contact / phone number, a prompt indicates that my phone number is already in use with another account. I checked my profile, and I don't appear to have two accounts. Can you conduct additional research to find out where my phone number might be in use / associated with someone else's account, or locate an old historical Agency account of mine that might still be open? Thank you! 

Hi  L'Oreal,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
Community Member

When i attempt to 'apply now' for a job, im redirected to the '/phone-verification' route. Here I click the 'text me' or 'call me' buttons. I then see the following error:

"Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support."

Things I have tried:
1. closing account (ended up re activating because it didnt delete account information)
2. changing the 2 step verifications per suggested by other help tickets (no change)
3. adding notes to existing support tickets

Thanks!

Hi Philip,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
a0808602
Community Member

Hi Joanne,
Could you help me with this issue? I simply want to file a support ticket for this and resolve this. I'm having trouble creating my new account. I was unable to verify my phone number. It told me that another account was already using this.

I'm assuming my issue is that my old account still has my phone number on it. However I cannot access it at all because the email, username, and password are lost to me entirely. I made those before Upwork had transitioned from another freelance agency in the past. So if we could find this other account and delete that should allow me to verify my phone number. 

Could you help me make a support ticket for this issue please, I've been going in circles trying to do this.
Thank you,

Hi Dominic,

~ Joanne
Upwork
ce811f63
Community Member

Hi, I am trying to verify a client account and I keep getting "This number is being used by another account" error.

I do have a Freelancer account that I am not planning to use with the same phone number. My client profile lists me as the primary contact with this phone number as well.

Help please!

Hi Anas,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance in completing the phone verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork
8a576450
Community Member

Hi Upwork Support

I urgently need help from you to remove my mobile no. from a previous account I may not be aware of.

My new acct. setup is unable to accept my mobile number input for verification purpose.

Pls let me know if you can remove my mobile no. soonest

Thanks!

Hi Fahiza,

~ Joanne
Upwork
27493be9
Community Member

I set up a personal Freelancer account, and I can't apply to a job. The system is asking me for my phone number to verify, and when i enter it they system says "Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support."

The support chat only refers me to the knowledge base. I need to clear this up so i can apply for jobs.

Hi Matt,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
5f751eab
Community Member

Hi,

I need to use my phone number in order to post a job as a client, and it is a phone number used in a freelancer account I've closed. I have tried creating a client account using my freelancer account but had the same issue. The bot keep asking me to contact support team, but I can't find anyway to do that, there is no "get support" button on the contact support page. please help.

5f751eab_0-1715779390251.png

Hi Yuchen,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
e_gabbadon
Community Member

I am new. I have been trying to verify my phone number for days now but it kept telling me that my number was already in use.  I do not have another account.  When I tried again this time it said I have tried to change my pin too many times.  The chat keeps telling me to contact support directly, but I don't know how to do that.  Please help!

Probably, there is someone who has already verifed upwork account using your phonenumber. I think buy a new phone is the best way. If it is not good message, I am sorry.

Hi Erica,

~ Joanne
Upwork
ad499d69
Community Member

Can someone please provide me with the link/email/phone number to contact support to help me figure out which account my phone number is linked to?

Hi Shanni,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8719da68
Community Member

I need help. I purchased my phone number few months ago and today when I signed up on upwork I couldn't confirm my phone number cause someone else was using it on their account. Need help

I  can't understand. 

Hi Juliana,

- Pradeep 

Upwork
98af6cae
Community Member

The client provided me a zip file for the project. When I open the zip file on my PC. Then my PC shows virus detect, and PC completely hangs fearing that my data is hacked.

10ed96de
Community Member

I am trying to apply to a job and get error message when I try to verify my phone number.
It says phone number already in use.

Hi Paula,

- Pradeep 

Upwork
b4674d29
Community Member

the number is my number I used when I signed up.  I don't have another number to use.

also, should they have a "try this another way" opportunity to verify with email?

Hi William,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
b4cbc137
Community Member

I had an Upwork account through my old job. I linked/verified my account with my phone number. 

I no longer work for that company and tried to set up a new account with a new email address. The system will not allow me to verify my new account because I am using the same phone number. Please help!

I looked in the forums and support posts but there is no answer. Also there is no way for me to speak to a person at Upwork (until I found this page... hopefull). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SAM 

Please see the attached screenshot

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths