cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus

Highlighted
Kristin R Member Since: Mar 3, 2020
41 of 842

Let's hope! I live in a city in northern Ontario, Canada. It is quite isolated. However, I went to do some errands today and there is no toilet paper to be found. The city has been wiped clean of it! It seems everyone is preparing for the day where we are told not to leave our homes. I guess I better do the same...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
42 of 842

Kristin R wrote:

Let's hope! I live in a city in northern Ontario, Canada. It is quite isolated. However, I went to do some errands today and there is no toilet paper to be found. The city has been wiped clean of it! It seems everyone is preparing for the day where we are told not to leave our homes. I guess I better do the same...

Haha, my bestie in Germany had to hunt around for toilet paper too. Seems people have priorities. Never mind food.... As long as there is toilet paper. I bought in bulk from Amazon.

The only thing my online supermarket had run out of completely was Basmati (rice) but I have a large bag of red quinoa left from when I ordered the wrong thing while under the influence so that can serve as a substitute for rice for the time being.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Antonia B. V Member Since: Sep 12, 2017
43 of 842

Hi from Italy- Sardinia
Fortunately one of the regions of Italy, an island of it, that has yet only 2  contagion both in recovery and no other spread for a week now.

Schools have been suspended till March 15 in all Italy and all school grades and universities.
Parents are alowed to remote work if they can
SUpermarkets have posters  advising to keep at least 1 metter between clients, more would be great.
Things are not looking fine.
The old Ebola drug  arrived to Genova city to be tested. But  unfortunately the tester lady patien is dead so now we wait on the approval for another patient with covis 19.

I am safe, as safe as one can be but trust me it is hard to concentrate on the work with all this turmoil and anxiety growing day by day.

from Italy
stay safe you all
Antonia

Highlighted
Community Guru
44 of 842

Antonia B. V wrote:

I am safe, as safe as one can be 

Same here. I could theoretically stay almost 100% safe for months but isolation is not exactly fun either.

I also worry about what this will do to the local economy if this goes on. The area of Italy I live in is heavily reliant on tourism and if this goes on into the tourist season the effects on hotels, restaurants, all the beach businesses etc etc would be devastating...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
45 of 842

Petra R wrote:

I also worry about what this will do to the local economy if this goes on. The area of Italy I live in is heavily reliant on tourism and if this goes on into the tourist season the effects on hotels, restaurants, all the beach businesses etc etc would be devastating...

Bangkok/Thailand has been hit hard.

They have been relying heavilly on the Chinese for tourists, but now - there's none. Places that were once packed are now completely empty - and we're still in high season in some places. According to local forums, staff are being asked to work on lower wages, for fewer hours, or are losing their jobs outright. It's likely to get a lot worse before it gets better, and the ecomomy here was already struggling.

Stil, one man's loss is another's gain and all that. A weaker baht would be good news for me. Although I wish that were achieved without others losing their jobs. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
46 of 842

All quiet here for now.  No cases in the state of Mississippi, nor in the states on either side of us.  However, I'm having surgery on Wednesday which is unsettling because a) I've never had surgery and b) who knows what can happen between now and then and c) we don't exactly have the most sophisticated medical care in the US.  We don't have cruise ships, although New Orleans 90 miles away has several lines that call there weekly.  UGH.  Petra, I think about you every day...

Highlighted
Community Guru
47 of 842

Mary W wrote:

UGH.  Petra, I think about you every day...

Don't worry about me. I'm just fine in my little bubble.  I am likely one of the people in Italy least likely to get infected right now.

And my mother sent me a care parcel containing some German food I could not get here even if I was so inclined to leave my bubble, and face masks I won't use  (and cash I can't spend because there is no way I am going near any shop for the forseeable future, but bless her!) 

It's like a million years ago when I was at boarding school and she sent a parcel with sweets and cash when things were tough. Some things never change,

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
48 of 842

Mary W wrote:

All quiet here for now.  No cases in the state of Mississippi, nor in the states on either side of us.  However, I'm having surgery on Wednesday which is unsettling because a) I've never had surgery and b) who knows what can happen between now and then and c) we don't exactly have the most sophisticated medical care in the US.  We don't have cruise ships, although New Orleans 90 miles away has several lines that call there weekly.  UGH.  Petra, I think about you every day...

Mary ... you should voice your concerns ahead of surgery if you can. Hopefully you'll get info that will alleviate some of your anxiety. That's what I plan on doing - for whatever it's worth.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Julie J Member Since: Jan 28, 2019
49 of 842

Hoping for speedy recovery, Mary! 

My take on surgery is, go to sleep with a problem, wake up with problem gone. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Leader
Julie J Member Since: Jan 28, 2019
50 of 842

Yep I'm over here near Seattle, the mayor declared a state of emergancy for the city.  I'm being super careful and brought my 89 year old mom to my house since she lives close to where the outbreak was in the nursing home. 

I'm being very strict about hand washing before you enter the house and hand sanitizer when you are out and about.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS